OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

OT Coffee House, Part V

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12071208120912101211 1639>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2017 at 08:11
Originally posted by DCAMM94 DCAMM94 wrote:

Mornin' Gents.  Scrummy, I tried a scout scope on my lever action 308 (it's a takedown model), but I never could get used to the extended eye relief.  I ended up going with a Nikon 2-7x32, and it's a great fit.  Just my $0.02.  Enjoy the new rifle.

Hi DCamm,

Thanks for the heads up. The gun is an 1892 clone so  unfortunately if I’m going to mount a scope it needs to be forward of the action so the ejection port works.

Takedown BLR .308 was it per chance?

Scrummy

Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2017 at 09:07
I've got a Marlin 44 lever gun. It could easily accept a scope with it's side ejection, and the receive is drilled and tapped for a scope, but I can't make myself do it. It has good iron sights, it's light and handy, and a scope would ruin that.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2017 at 09:11
I just got a nice lever gun in 35 Remington from SWFA off the no reserve gunbroker auctions.   fine specimen.  Game with a rather unique mount and fixed 2x scope.  looking forward to picking up some ammo and testing it out.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2017 at 09:22
It was a takedown BLR .308.  I had the barrel and action reamed to make it a .338 Federal.  It's a stomper.

Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2017 at 09:25
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

I've got a Marlin 44 lever gun. It could easily accept a scope with it's side ejection, and the receive is drilled and tapped for a scope, but I can't make myself do it. It has good iron sights, it's light and handy, and a scope would ruin that.

Hi Beltfed,

Yes has a nice peep sight, just my eyes are rather rubbish...

There is a combo rail / peep sight for it which I quite fancy...

Scrummy
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2017 at 09:27

It was a takedown BLR .308.  I had the barrel and action reamed to make it a .338 Federal.  It's a stomper.

Now that sir is great and I reckon would make a great driven boar rifle!
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2017 at 11:08
It's fun to shoot, for sure.  That 210gr .338 in such a light rifle will cross your eyes if you aren't careful!
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2017 at 05:01

It's fun to shoot, for sure.  That 210gr .338 in such a light rifle will cross your eyes if you aren't careful!

You can handle it Deck.

When I was young and foolish I purchased a Model 88 in .358Win., already had a .308, thought I needed a pair. Wrong!

Luckily my buddy just had to,have one💥😂.

Mornin ‘ all, heading home in a while.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2017 at 06:10
Mornin gentsCoffee

Try a 1886 Win. carbine in 45-70. First time I sighted it in off a bench after the 3rd or 4th round I realized I was saying ow after each shot. I like the rifle, and its accurate for what it is, but I've never really considered working up a load for it; factory is fine.

Cloudy, rainy, cool (40s), and yucky, again.

I Don't think Skip is talking to me anymore. I don't blame himGal
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2017 at 06:58
Mornin ‘ Lynn. Getting ready to hit the road, 51/2 hours to home.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2017 at 07:15
That's a haul, but not terrible.
Don't forget to stop and peeWink
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2017 at 07:16
And no texting while drivingNo No
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2017 at 07:19

Morning fella's

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2017 at 07:48
Mornin G.

Skip's long drive reminds me of a long drive I took once. It took me past your neck of the woods G. It was a 10.5 hour drive to a small town in S.C. to pick out and bring home a German Shepherd puppy from a breeder down there. Drove down on Friday, and back on Saturday. It was a long hard drive and worth every minute.
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2017 at 09:03

I bet but must do a wonderful number on what you hit with it!
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2017 at 09:07
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

You can handle it Deck.

When I was young and foolish I purchased a Model 88 in .358Win., already had a .308, thought I needed a pair. Wrong!

Luckily my buddy just had to,have one💥😂.

Mornin ‘ all, heading home in a while.

358 looks to be another one of those not overly large cases with a relatively large bore that look useful

Safe trip home Peddler
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2017 at 09:10

Mornin gentsCoffee

Try a 1886 Win. carbine in 45-70. First time I sighted it in off a bench after the 3rd or 4th round I realized I was saying ow after each shot. I like the rifle, and its accurate for what it is, but I've never really considered working up a load for it; factory is fine.

Short, Loud and Light eh? Sounds fun in small amounts!
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2017 at 09:11
Morning gents,

Crappy overcast weather here. Not cold enough for frosts which we need for some die back of the undergrowth here.

Scrummy
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2017 at 10:15
Originally posted by Scrumbag Scrumbag wrote:

Mornin gentsCoffee

Short, Loud and Light eh? Sounds fun in small amounts!

I used that rifle in an episode of  the hit TV reality show "Guntucky". I shot against a guy shooting an AR15 in 50 Beauwolf. I practiced with the rifle before big match, and was still impressed with how well it shot. I even shot it off the bench and didn't think it was that bad recoil wise. I won the match when we shot it a few days later, but I knew I was going to win before I fired the first shot. It was in the script. So much for reality in reality TV. The only reality in reality TV that I saw, was the reality that I DIDN'T get paid.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2017 at 10:17
Originally posted by Scrumbag Scrumbag wrote:

Morning gents,

Crappy overcast weather here. Not cold enough for frosts which we need for some die back of the undergrowth here.

Scrummy

Scrummy, I thought that typical London weather.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12071208120912101211 1639>
  Share Topic