OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Wolves Eat Alaska Teacher

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild In AK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 01:38
The teachers death, though by far the worst, was just one of may wolf incidents that year here in Alaska.  Most of the reported problems actually happened right in Anchorage.  Wolves from the Fort Richardson pack decided to get bold; stalking walkers on local trails, attacking dogs, even attacking dogs on leashes out walking with their owners.  Eventually Fish and Game had to take action and killed off around half the pack.

You hear other stories from time to time of cross country skiers or trappers turning around to find a couple wolves on their tail.  Even if the bears are in hibernation it still pays to be packing a firearm or bear spray.

I feel sorry for you guys in the lower 48, at least Alaska's Fish and Game has the knowledge to eventually recognize when wolves are becoming a problem in an area and sends in the aerial shooters.  You guys loose half your elk and deer populations in an area are lucky to get one wolf tag. 
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 11:18
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I have had a group of yotes stalk and circle me before.  Stuff like this is why I never go in the wilderness without a gun.  Preferably a rifle, if not that at least a magnum pistol.
That's right... just for hogs, if nothing else. Someone (I think on this forum,) used the phrase coyotes count coup and many coyote callers can testify to that. There's a video on YouTube with a coyote persistently after a fellow, making repeated runs at him and at times, gnawing on his boot while he filmed.
I let 2 coyotes slide past and live during deer season because I didn't want to betray my position.
 A friend of a horse- owner friend in OKC metro area claims to have had a cougar in her barn, alerting her when her horses went all freaky.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2012 at 01:07
Hi Wild in AK:
Just to let these folks in the "Lower 48" know what we real Alaskans know.
We are NOT at the top of the food chain.
If the weather doesn't kill you,which it often can, then the critters will try.
Come to Alaska and enter the food chain.
Two legged and four legged, plenty of really tough predators around.
But I would not have missed growing up here for anything.
OK, maybe seeing a bikini clad beach in California every summer but then the moose and bear hunting would have been lousy.
Art

Good day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic