OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need Some Help Picking A Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yonkerss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Some Help Picking A Scope
    Posted: December/06/2011 at 12:50
Hi All,

Over the years I have used entry level scopes for the most part on my guns - muzzle loader, rimfires, rifled shotgun barrel etc.

I am now setting up a couple rifles to be my go to rifles for hunting.

The main one in question is a Remington 700 BDL in 300 RUM.  My intentions for this gun is to be used for big game hunting out west and up north in Canada.  Planning on shots up to 400-500 yards.

I originally was planning on a Nikon Monarch 4-16x50 SF.  Now the more I read online and look at scopes the more confused I am on which route to go.

For budget, well obviously I would prefer to spend less then more but want this scope to last my lifetime without an issues.  I know as a general rule you get what you pay for and open to saving longer to go with a higher dollar ($1000) scope over the $400-500 scopes I have been looking at.

I like flip up scope caps so leaning towards wanting a side focus riflescope.  I want the scope to handle all lighting conditions well.  If I am going to be spending money on a hunting trip, do not want to be restricted my my scope capabilities.

What are people's thoughts on the ballistics compensating reticles?  Is it better to go with a turret type setup and a standard fine duplex?  I have never used one of these reticles so no experience with them, seems like a good idea but unsure if the best for a hunting application.

I know this is a very general type posting.  When I bought the rifles I had just planned on going with Nikon Monarch / Leupold VX-II scopes but now starting to question that decision when it is coming down to buying them.

I assume 50mm objectives are always favored to smaller 40-44mm objectives?

Thanks and I look forward to your advice and suggestions!
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 17:02
Welcome to the OT forum! Well, lots to discuss here. Obviously, scope selection is dependent on many variables including ranges, terrain, game, low light requirements, price, etc. Reticle selection is also very personal. For general purpose hunting at moderate ranges, a standard duplex is fine. For low light conditions I like bolder, etched reticles on the order of the 4 or 4a. Illuminated reticles are nice, but battery dependency may be a PIA. For real low light I love the Trijicon Accupoint scopes. I have a 3-9 X 40 with the green triangle that is the bugs nuts. For distance shooting, you can either spin turrets or use some sort of holdover (or BDC) type designs. To me, holdover types are quicker and still very functional. For utmost accuracy most turn knobs. I firmly believe in getting the best glass you can afford. Also, if your top end power is above 12 (or so) A.O. or side focus may be very beneficial. For many hunting situations one is better off (IMO) to adhere to the K.I.S.S. theory. If I were in your shoes, I'd save cash and step up to a notch above the Monarch or VXII lines. Nifty ones are Swaro, Zeiss, Leica, S&B, Premier, etc. Also very good are IOR, Meopta, Sightron, Minox, etc. Time to start comparing specs. I'm sure some of our resident pros will soon voice their opinions. Good luck! Yippee
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
rusty buck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 19:51
wats the best 200 $  scope yall think  i should get for my 30-06 
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 20:22
If you shots are "only" 400 to 500 yards why do you think you need side focus?  I'd look at the 3 to 15x Minox.  To answer some of your other questions... Personally I don't like a lot of knobs, it is just one more thing to go wrong when I hunt.  Given all the other factors like -wind- and range estimation, I know that a hold over reticle is just quick guide, but to me it is quicker and a lot less to go wrong than the knobs.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 20:30
Originally posted by rusty buck rusty buck wrote:

wats the best 200 $  scope yall think  i should get for my 30-06 

Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 , Jap glass and the Raingaurd is a plus

Eagle
yonkerss View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yonkerss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 22:22
I appreciate the input.

Honestly, my scope experience is not very much when it comes to rifles.  I am figuring shots up to 400-500 yards, but could be 50-100 yards as well.  I do not have any side focus scopes currently, just seems like a nice idea.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic