OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

help deciding burris vs millet vs vortex

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LSGriff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help deciding burris vs millet vs vortex
    Posted: December/03/2011 at 16:08
i've pretty much got it narrowed down to these three i think. the scope will be for a .308 AR rifle. any input about these models? any other scopes out there that are in this price range that i should be looking at? i'm wanting illumination and something on the lower power ranges like these three so chime in if you have any other options.

Burris
http://swfa.com/Burris-1-4x24-Fullfield-TAC-30-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P48171.aspx

Millet
http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P9251.aspx

Vortex
http://swfa.com/Vortex-1-4x24-Viper-HS-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P48290.aspx

i know the vortex is quite a bit more expensive, but is it really worth the extra cost? i was dead set on vortex until i saw the other two and the price difference could not be ignored being i havent hit the lotto yet.

any recommendations on mounts solid enough to take the .308 abuse?

sorry for all the questions. just nowhere around here has quality optics to check out for myself so i'm stuck reading what i can.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 14:24
Hello LSGriff,
Welcome to the OT forum!

With the price range you are considering, you might also want to take a look at the great deal right now on this Optisan, reviewed in the forums:
http://swfa.com/Optisan-1-4x24-Mamba-SWFA-SALT-Combo-P50669.aspx

The Millett gets mixed reviews over quality/reliability and the Burris scopes are likely more rugged. The Vortex is definitely the best of the bunch, but at higher initial cost and has Vortex awesome customer service.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
JameyF View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JameyF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 14:57
Originally posted by LSGriff LSGriff wrote:

i've pretty much got it narrowed down to these three i think. the scope will be for a .308 AR rifle. any input about these models? any other scopes out there that are in this price range that i should be looking at? i'm wanting illumination and something on the lower power ranges like these three so chime in if you have any other options.

Burris
http://swfa.com/Burris-1-4x24-Fullfield-TAC-30-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P48171.aspx

Millet
http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P9251.aspx

Vortex
http://swfa.com/Vortex-1-4x24-Viper-HS-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P48290.aspx

i know the vortex is quite a bit more expensive, but is it really worth the extra cost? i was dead set on vortex until i saw the other two and the price difference could not be ignored being i havent hit the lotto yet.

any recommendations on mounts solid enough to take the .308 abuse?

sorry for all the questions. just nowhere around here has quality optics to check out for myself so i'm stuck reading what i can.

Stop spending your money on lotto tickets and look into the SS 1-4 also.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 17:32
Burris Fullfield Tac30 is very nice.  Extremely bright and clear, cant see what paying more would really get me for the money, but havnet looked at the SS.  I honestly dont think it could be any clearer or brighter that I would notice, and I would buy another in a second.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
LSGriff View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LSGriff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 22:35
i'm really leaning towards the burris seems like it gets good reviews and has a nice price. the vortex is very nice looking tho and so are some of the leapold 1-4 scopes. good lord this is going to make my head explode. i just hope im not limiting my rifles abilities to much with such a low power scope. but then again i live in Alabama. not to many areas for shots over 400 yards.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 23:56
Originally posted by JLud JLud wrote:

Burris Fullfield Tac30 is very nice.  Extremely bright and clear, cant see what paying more would really get me for the money, but havnet looked at the SS.  I honestly dont think it could be any clearer or brighter that I would notice, and I would buy another in a second.

The SS is that much better.  And I think the Viper will be better than the Burris optically, but I can't say for sure since I haven't looked through it.  I own the SS, and own several Burris scopes, and the SS is better than them.  Now, that being said, I really like my Burris scopes.  Super rugged.  Takes a beating and still goes strong.  If you want to stay on a budget and get a decent scope, the Burris is a good choice.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
odin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2012 at 12:41

Hey thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I have owned an IOR 1-4 and currently own a Vortex Razor 1-4 and I'm very happy with it and they glass is excellent. That being said. The determination I have come up with over the last couple of years is the most important thing you need for a close / medium range optic is a good reticle and reasonably clear glass as stated earlier I have and have had some very nice 1-4. But honestly I think paying for great glass on a 1-4 is a waste of money because you really can't see that far with a 4 power any ways. Not to say it shouldn't have good glass. The other problem I have with a 1-4 is that the magnification isn't equal to the capability of my weapon witch is a .556 and I like to be able to see the furthest my gun will shoot 600 yards. Not that you can’t see that far with a 4x but 5 or 6 power is obviously better. Unless your kicking down doors the time it takes to acquire a target with a 1x vs. a 1.5x is very very minimal especially with the long eye relief most close range optics have today. I don’t know what you budget is but Weaver makes a really awesome optic that is a 1-5x and has an excellent reticle.

The 4 things I would look for in a reticle would do it allow me to hold over for distance, wind and can I range find with it. The last thing is does it allow me to acquire the target quickly when on low power and is the reticle fine enough to take a pin point shot when the mag is turned up. There are lots of scopes you can go with but if you want something that will do a little bit of everything these are some good things to consider. I hope this helps

I'm not surrounded. I'm in the middle of a target rich environment!
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2012 at 21:17
Originally posted by odin odin wrote:

I think paying for great glass on a 1-4 is a waste of money because you really can't see that far with a 4 power any ways.

I have some scopes with great glass and low magnification that allow me to see things better than some other scopes with lesser glass but greater magnification. Better glass always trumps magnification.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2012 at 21:22
I use this
Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Red Crosshair Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA50R4
  • Red Crosshair
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
$945.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/01/2012 at 21:22

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic