OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

what kind of scope should i buy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlb021983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what kind of scope should i buy?
    Posted: December/03/2011 at 13:27
I recently purchased a Remington model 700 7mm mag. i was looking to upgrade from the ol' Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40. Any ideas on which scope to place on my new gun? With so many good scopes out there now, it is hard to find the " right" one. any help would be appreciated.
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2011 at 13:47
Depends on your price range, use (hunting -- paper punching), and magnification you want.  

For the money...the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 is a great scope for the money.  You could call SWFA to see if they have any left.  It's probably not a huge upgrade over your Buckmaster, but I've owned both and would take the 4200 every time.

I've heard great things about the Zeiss Conquest too, but have no personal experience with it.  

I'm sure some of the more experienced members can chime in and give you some good advice.

jlb021983 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlb021983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2011 at 13:53
i hunt mainly deer, I would like to stay in the woods longer. My hunting ground is MS, but i would like the option to take my 7mag out west too. so i reckon im trying to find that good in between scope. Price range is about $600.00. Looking to get the most out of my rifle.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2011 at 15:42
V-X 3
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2011 at 16:23
Originally posted by jlb021983 jlb021983 wrote:

i hunt mainly deer, I would like to stay in the woods longer. My hunting ground is MS, but i would like the option to take my 7mag out west too. so i reckon im trying to find that good in between scope. Price range is about $600.00. Looking to get the most out of my rifle.

$600 will get you a lot of scope.  My opinion would be to stick with something in the 3-4 power on the low end and 9-12 on the high end.  I hunt in central Nebraska where we can get some pretty long shots and I stick with a 3-9x40.  The higher end scopes (Zeiss, Swaroski, SS) are known for great glass that can give you some more time in the field after the sun starts going down.

Like I said...there are other members of this forum that have way more experience than me that can give you some good advice.

Edited by M7025-06 - December/03/2011 at 16:38
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2011 at 16:31
Im going to lay out several scopes that I really like and suggest you consider them.   Often you can find a used Zeiss Conquest  on Samplelist.com and if you click the link below you can get some idea of what kind of savings that  represents. People tend to put more magnification on their rifle than they really need but there are advantages of a variable with high power because you can get a closer look at game animals a long way off and determine if that is the one you want. Trijicon scopes have tritium and fiber optic illumination and in low light that is very helpful as well as being an advantage getting the eye quickly onto game.  At 6x you can hand hold a rifle and you can get onto game quickly even under 100 yds. At 10x not so much,  you start needing a solid rest above 10x.  A 6x42 scope is really bright in low light and any power higher than 6 with a 42 mm objective becomes incresingly dim. With a variable dial down in low light to around 6x and watch it get brighter.  A good scope should have some type of advantage that helps you get onto target either target knobs to dial in correction or a reticle that allows you to estimate known distance hold over.  The down side to balistic reticles is they work at one power and when you change the power of the scope the reticle marks represent something different unless it is first focal plane.  The Super Sniper below is first focal plane and the mil dot marks can be used like a balistic reticle but the neat thing is that it can be done at any power with this scope.
Any of these scopes will serve you well but each has different advantages.  
http://www.samplelist.com/Zeiss-45-14x50-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P2335.aspx
Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR23R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
  • Free Sun Shade w/ Purchase
$1,082.95 
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42MQ
  • Matte
  • Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95 
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
$429.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/03/2011 at 16:32

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic