OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The best ED bins for your buck?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote basco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The best ED bins for your buck?
    Posted: December/02/2011 at 23:18
Well this is my first post on here so please bare with me...

I have been doing a ton of research lately on binos. I personally think Zen-Ray offers the best product for your dollar! I was curious if some of you have done reviews on optics simular to zen-ray such as hawke, kruger, promaster, etc. Do these companies get there products from the same OEM? I have also come across some other optic companies that are not offered in the u.s.  atleast I haven't found any retailers for them. The companies are  Helios and Barr and Stroud binos! I also found a great looking pair of opitics called pro-optics. They are ED bins. Has anyone heard of those as well.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2011 at 08:16
Here's one more brand for your consideration:

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/03/2011 at 08:17
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2011 at 10:57
Originally posted by basco basco wrote:

Well this is my first post on here so please bare with me...

I have been doing a ton of research lately on binos. I personally think Zen-Ray offers the best product for your dollar! I was curious if some of you have done reviews on optics simular to zen-ray such as hawke, kruger, promaster, etc. Do these companies get there products from the same OEM? I have also come across some other optic companies that are not offered in the u.s.  atleast I haven't found any retailers for them. The companies are  Helios and Barr and Stroud binos! I also found a great looking pair of opitics called pro-optics. They are ED bins. Has anyone heard of those as well.

Isn't asking us to BARE with you a bit presumptious for the first post? Big Smile  Anyway, welcome to OT.

Use the search function.  All of those are reviewed or talked about quite a bit here and at other forums.  The advice on another forum is to use the search function.  I've reviewed most of your list and still own most of your list.  Without something beyond a general query it is hard to know what to tell you.  I agree with your Zen Ray comment, but it applies to others on your list too. 
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2011 at 12:24

I have also come across some other optic companies that are not offered in the u.s.  atleast I haven't found any retailers for them. The companies are  Helios and Barr and Stroud binos! I also found a great looking pair of opitics called pro-optics. They are ED bins. Has anyone heard of those as well.

The Helios brand as well as Barr & Stroud are European brand names.

Pro-Optics is a house brand for a competitor in New York.

Most, if not all, of the brand names that you have mentioned are being manufactured in China by a handful of factories.

Here's a link for one of the major players in China.

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/03/2011 at 12:48
basco View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote basco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2011 at 16:09
Thanks for the info! The search helped a bunch as well as the links. I guess I was just curious of what most of you thought about the optic companies that use the same OEM. When it comes down do optical performance is there a difference. I would think not since its all the same! I will soon be in the market for some ED bins, something that wont break the bank, and they will be a X-mas gift! I currently own a pair of the 10x42 Swaro slc hd's and the 8.5x50 razor hds both are great binos but luckily theese bins where won. I might even go with the zen zrs hd's for the gift. zen ray's warranty has really drawn me to there products. Any advice for an reasonable x-mas gift would be helpful
thanks
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2011 at 18:36
There are fewer OEM optics companies than there are companies that sell optics.  Hence many manufacturers will use the same OEM's for their stuff.  It boils down not so much as who makes it.  Any OEM is capable of making a wide range of quality.  So what they make, they make according to the design and specifications contracted for by whichever company the glass is being built for.  So the design and QC controls are what is important, not so much the OEM.  So just because it's the same OEM, that does not mean they are all the same.

The Promaster, ZEN ED and Hawke Frontier ED are basically the same design.  Each company specified something different in coatings, armor, and other things.  Hawke is basically England and Europe.  Zen Ray has been the most active with the design and has caused a lot of forward improvement in it.  That design has since been picked up by Atlas Optics and Vortex as the Talon HD and EO Ranger ED.

The Zen Ray ZRS HD would be an excellent gift binocular.  It is almost impossible to beat at its price range.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

basco View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote basco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2011 at 19:39
I was just about delete my previous post since I just read one of you post on "OEM's" But yes it all comes down to which bin has the best warranty, construction, optical quality/coatings etc. and  has the best price/value. Doesn't really matter who makes it since they have to meet certain QC standards anyway. so out of all of theese bins, zen-ray beats them all. Theron now has my eye as well. I might be looking into one of their spotter's. Thanks Klamath for the help. I will work harder with my searchingWink
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2011 at 10:40

I was just about delete my previous post since I just read one of you post on "OEM's" But yes it all comes down to which bin has the best warranty, construction, optical quality/coatings etc. and  has the best price/value. Doesn't really matter who makes it since they have to meet certain QC standards anyway. so out of all of theese bins, zen-ray beats them all. Theron now has my eye as well. I might be looking into one of their spotter's. Thanks Klamath for the help. I will work harder with my searchingWink

I have owned both of their spotters. The Saker is a little gem and a true value at the $300 and under price point. Optically it is only equalled by scopes costing twice as much if not more. The Mag82 is a superb scope and my primary scope for regular use. You are basically looking at a Nikon ED82A made by Bosma (one of the Chinese OEMs). Eyepieces even interchange between the two scopes relatively easily (some thread issues but no optical concerns).  I would certainly recommend either scope.

Sadly the little Saker has been out of stock for a good 6 months though there should be a shipment in some time after Christmas. The Theron Mag82s are currently on sale though for as little as $850....with the 25-75x zoom and the 30x wide angle (70 degree) eyepiece included in the price. That is an excellent deal in my opinion.
Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic