OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ultrasonic or Stainless Steel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ultrasonic or Stainless Steel
    Posted: December/01/2011 at 12:36

Going back and forth on these two methods to clean my brass with.

Stainless steel requires a greater up front investment but long term is pretty much next to nothing
Ultrasonic is cheaper upfront but cleaning solution will have to be rebought as needed.

Both appear to require you to "dry" your brass after use to ensure not water spots.

Stainless tumblers run for long periods of time, Ultrasonic appear to need to be used about 5-10 minutes on dirty cases. 

Both clean inside case and the primer pockets well.

Anyone tried both? Anyone know pros and cons not listed? 
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2011 at 13:09
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2011 at 15:49
ULTRASONIC SUCKS...IT TAKES FOREVER EVEN WITH AN INDUSTRIAL $1000 ULTRA SONIC....

I have tried many ultra sonics and they all fall short of media cleaning...

No one
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 16:02
The cheapest media for wet tumbling isn't SS, but brass. Go find a weldor's supply that sells brass rod by the pound (usually $2-3) and buy a few pounds of 1/16 rod and cut 'em up w/electrician's cutters  into short lengths- say 1/2- 3/4". Works great and builds your grip. They'll clean your primer pockets if de- primed beforehand.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Crosswire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crosswire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 19:25
I've used a conventional vib. tumbler since the first model came out (Lyman 1200) and it works fine.  I did buy an Ultrasonic cleaner a few years ago for mechanical stuff and tried cases in it too.  I found NO advantage to surgically clean cases and getting them that way is a PITA.   I don't want to fool with wet cases or wait for them to dry so I won't ever try wet cleaning again.
Sam Colt did more to make men equal than any politician ever did.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic