OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Viper Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Viper Questions
    Posted: November/29/2011 at 07:00

Wondering how the glass in the Viper & Viper HS models and internals compare to Bushnell Elite or Nikon Monarch models ?

Eagle

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2011 at 07:58
I'd say at least equal in glass and internals, Vortex far exceeds the other two in customer service and warranty.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2011 at 09:55
I can only compare my original Vipers with a 3-9x 4200 that I've had a good deal of experience with. I don't have a newer Viper PST or HS.
My Viper 3-9x40mm is just slightly inferior in resolution to my dad's 4200 3-9x40mm model by my eyes.  I tested them side by side on a USAF resolution chart at about 50yds and could pick out an extra line with the 4200. So I think the 4200 wins there.
Also, the rainguard on Bushnell lenses is a really nice feature that the Vortex lacks. While I haven't hunted with the 4200, my dad has mentioned that he's found it to be a great asset while hunting.
The reticle fast focus is a wash between the two. Both work nicely.
Eye relief is a bit longer on the Viper, but both brands chose to give relatively shorter eye relief and wider FOV as a compromise, so neither has a particularly great eye relief. Both are relatively insensitive to power changes so far as eye relief goes, but the Bushnell may actually win in that area. It's hard to tell at any rate.
 The Viper wins handily against most 4200s with regards to turret design however, as most of the 4200s use simple finger adjustable dials that have to be reset with a screwdriver, and show no index marks. I have a scope that uses the LOW turrets used on target 4200s (also the same as used in Weaver V16s and V24s I believe), and while they are very positive, I prefer the high turrets on my 6.5-20x and even the low turrets on my 3-9x Viper over the design used on the 4200 target models. That said, both track very well. So a win for the Viper on lower powers, but a wash on target models.
For warranty, Vortex has a better reputation, but hasn't been around quite as long as Bushnell's optics group.
I like both scopes quite a bit. I recently purchased a heavily discounted 3-9x40mm 4200 for myself after being so pleased with the one my dad has.
My opinion:
4200 for hunting in bad weather, with a rifle that you don't routinely change POI on.
Viper for any rifle that you plan to spin turrets with, UNLESS it's a 4200 target model. In that case, either will do nicely and I would probably buy based on what I could get for a better deal.

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2011 at 12:03
I think the optics of the HS series are a little better than the standard Viper series, which are still pretty good.  The HS series also has very hunting-friendly features.
Never heard a bad thing whispered about Vortex Customer Service.  I have heard horror stories about Nikon and Bushnell, especially Bushnell.

-Matt
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2011 at 19:39
I own a Bushnell 4200 and a Monarch too so that is why I was asking about how Vortex Viper models stacked up. I like both the 4200 and Monarch, because they're an excellent value for their price point.

I've heard a lot of good things about the CS at Vortex and have been considering the Viper models.

Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't taking a step backwards.Wink

Thanks,

Eagle
Rothstein1987 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rothstein1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2011 at 00:22
I love my Viper 4-12x40 wouldnt trade it for anything in that price range
Mausers forever

That was great but can you do it again??
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2011 at 08:16
In the past year, I've purchased two Bushnell 4200 3-9x40mm scopes just due to the price, Rainguard AND the recommendations from this forum.

I had a 30-06 ruin two cheap Bushnell scopes years ago and I swore I'd never own another Bushnell product, but at that time I didn't know anything about scopes and my Dad's mindset was the cheaper the better, so as a kid the only scopes I were exposed to were cheap Bushnell Sportviews and old Redfields, Tascos and Weavers. As I stated in another thread, fortunately "I know better now."

I have never sent anything to Bushnell for repair, so I can't comment on that, but I have call and emailed their customer service department several times while researching the older Bushnell Elite 10x43mm binoculars; They were always polite, courteous and responded in a timely manner....again, YMMV.

Edited by Stud Duck - November/30/2011 at 08:20
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic