OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

20x binocs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 257nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20x binocs
    Posted: November/28/2011 at 16:45
 has anybody used  20 power binocs instead of a spotting scope. like the pentex ones.  i don't know of any others.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2011 at 17:14
Larry F.,

I use Pentax 20x60 PCF WP,  Pentax 20x60 PCF WP II, Tento 20x60 (USSR),  Spectrum I 20x65 (Japan),
Orion 20x70 Little Giant II (Japan), & Burgess Optical Series II 20x90.

I sent an acquaintance of mine my vintage, discontinued, Swift 20x80 Satellite (Japan).

I also gave my neighbor an older, discontinued,  FOCAL/Kmart 20x60 (Japan).

I have also used a cheap NcStar 20x70, however, after loaning it to my boss, who is also a hunter, he did not want to give it back to me.
He uses it from his truck window for spotting.  I'm glad that he enjoys glassing with it. 

All of the ones that I have listed are older, discontinued models, with the exception of the Pentax PCF WP II & the NcStar.

Pentax is the only one making a 20x binocular that is waterproof & fogproof and rugged enough for hunting purposes.

Just my way of saying that I prefer two-eyed viewing to squinting through a spotting scope.  

Now you know of a few other 20x brand names. Wink

Stan

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/15/2011 at 13:23
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2011 at 11:30
12,20,40x80

18x80

25x100

all zeiss

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2011 at 11:34
As always, Odd comes up with some great pictures of stuff we don't see a lot of.Yippee
Doug
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2011 at 11:54
Not 20x -but unusual
zeiss DF, -  blc,- and zeiss RF 10x and some great lights

7x 50 zeiss DF 1920 and blc 7c50 

Big Smile

Edited by zeissoem2 - December/05/2011 at 12:01
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2011 at 12:37
I don't have any 20X, but I do use a 15x80 Steiner extensively. Like Stan, I like using both eyes because it causes less strain for me. I still need a spotter for bringing something in that is really far out.
I can also stabilize them by hand fairly well. I hold the barrels out by the end and bring my elbows back down on my chest. That might be a bit harder with a 20X, though.

Doug
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2011 at 12:48
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I still need a spotter for bringing something in that is really far out.
I can also stabilize them by hand fairly well. I hold the barrels out by the end and bring my elbows back down on my chest. That might be a bit harder with a 20X, though.

tahqua,

I also use a Celestron C5 spotting scope on rare occasion for really distant birds.

For 20x I prefer sitting, but, I also use a selfstanding monopod and a variety of tripods.

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/05/2011 at 12:49
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2011 at 12:52
zeissoem2 (Odd),

Do you own a Zeiss 20x60 image stabilized binocular?

Stan

Edited by Bird Watcher - December/05/2011 at 12:55
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2011 at 13:11
No.

3 years ago did I find one almost unused and at low price. But was a few minutes too late to get it.  
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2011 at 13:27
Odd,

Have you ever had the opportunity to try the Zeiss 20x60 IS Question
zeissoem2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeissoem2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2011 at 13:56
No

Missed twice.
Last time was I on my way for a meeting to try one. Only 2 kilometer left to drive -did I get a call about that the owner did have to go for a hurry up job and be away from home  for several weeks.

He promissed to call back 2-3 weeks later. My phone crashed 1 week later and I missed his phonenumber. He didnt called back 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2011 at 15:35
No I just walk closer.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2011 at 20:17
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

No I just walk closer.

If that's the case then you have absolutely no need for binoculars whatsoever. Big Grin
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 00:21
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I don't have any 20X, but I do use a 15x80 Steiner extensively. Like Stan, I like using both eyes because it causes less strain for me.

For the benefit of those who might be curious about some of the 15x binoculars on the market I'm attaching this link. Enjoy! Smile 

Stan
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 00:44
A few things I gleaned from that article that stand out for me(though the first is obvious)...................thanks
  • Side by side is the only way to effectively compare and contrast high quality optics. Period. End of argument.
  • A solid, well designed tripod/adapter/mount system is critical to using 15s to finding little camouflaged things at great distances.   
  • Poro prism binos are easier to use and more comfortable to look through for long periods of time.
  • Doug
    Optics Master
    Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 20:26
    Here's a favorite paragraph of mine from one of koshkin's binocular reviews:

"In practical terms, I saw about the same amount of detail with the spotter set on about 23x-24x as I did with the 15x binoculars. Not surprisingly, if you plan to do any serious time glassing, I would pick the binoculars every time. Despite the lower magnification, using both eyes really makes up for a slightly smaller image. If I were to use a higher end spotter instead of my Pentax, I suspect that ~18x-20x spotter magnification would equal 15x with a binocular. As the light got dimmer, the advantages of using both eyes became more pronounced. That is partly due to the better glass in Vortex and Swaro and partly due to the remarkable interpretive ability that our brains possess".  Thunbs Up
    RifleDude View Drop Down
    EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 12:35
    Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

Here's a favorite paragraph of mine from one of koshkin's binocular reviews:

"In practical terms, I saw about the same amount of detail with the spotter set on about 23x-24x as I did with the 15x binoculars. Not surprisingly, if you plan to do any serious time glassing, I would pick the binoculars every time. Despite the lower magnification, using both eyes really makes up for a slightly smaller image. If I were to use a higher end spotter instead of my Pentax, I suspect that ~18x-20x spotter magnification would equal 15x with a binocular. As the light got dimmer, the advantages of using both eyes became more pronounced. That is partly due to the better glass in Vortex and Swaro and partly due to the remarkable interpretive ability that our brains possess".  Thunbs Up

Thunbs Up
    Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
    koshkin View Drop Down
    Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2012 at 20:57
    This really reminds me that I need to step away from riflescope reviews for a little bit and do a couple of binocular articles.  I have been walking around with some binocular comparison ideas for some time now.

As far as high magnification binoculars go, if you are on a budget the Pentax porros are almost the only way to go, although I have seen some decent Oberwerk ones too.

Generally, high magnification binoculars have pretty limited depth perception, so porros with their widely spaced objective lenses often offer a subjective image quality advantage simply because of the improved depth perception.  That gives "texture" to the image.

With porros, you can also use larger objective lenses which really makes a difference for high magnification optics.  Note that in the link above, roof prism binoculars have smaller objectives than the porros.

For that matter, if you are looking for a 15x or thereabouts big binocular and are OK with individual eye focus, those 15x80 Steiners tahqua has are excellent.  Fujinon FMT-SX 16x70 are better eyet in terms of pure optical quality.

ILya
    junesongnow View Drop Down
    Optics GrassHopper
    Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junesongnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2012 at 23:40
    Spammer

Edited by tahqua - January/15/2012 at 08:56
    Optics Master
    Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2012 at 14:36
    Originally posted by junesongnow junesongnow wrote:

Spammer
    Laser Zap
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic