OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

leupold VX-3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lee31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leupold VX-3
    Posted: February/07/2006 at 10:54
 I was at Cabelas yesterday and I looked at a leupold vx3 6.5-20 a monarch 6.5-20 and a burris sig select 6-24 I couldn't tell any diffrence exept the leupold was about 150.00 more.  Whats the deal are the consumers just paying for the leupold name I know the vx2 6-18 is about the same price as the monarch and burris but the vx2 does not have as good as glass from what i can tell.  whats the deal????
crow killer
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2006 at 11:14

As far as I can tell you are right on the money.

ILya

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2006 at 11:27
One thing I think you should try when doing this is look through a really cheap scope and a really expensive one, too.  Maybe the 3 you looked through and a BSA and a Swarovski.  Last time I did that in a store, None of them looked all that different.  That tells you it's not a good evaluation.  Makers these days have figured out how to build a scope that looks pretty good ,if you're just looking through it.  Get it out on a rifle and it's a different story.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2006 at 13:41

Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

One thing I think you should try when doing this is look through a really cheap scope and a really expensive one, too.  Maybe the 3 you looked through and a BSA and a Swarovski.  Last time I did that in a store, None of them looked all that different.  That tells you it's not a good evaluation.  Makers these days have figured out how to build a scope that looks pretty good ,if you're just looking through it.  Get it out on a rifle and it's a different story.

+1

c.j. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2006 at 16:54

so what mwyates and stud duck are saying is that the manufactures can make all scopes no matter the price to produce basically the same resolution of small writing from across the store just because its under the stores lights. I don't believe it. I do believe that the lighting in the stores is adequate to do these comparisons on resolution. the only difference you would encounter with the store lights is the color correction which can have variations depending upon the coating used and perhaps on the quality of the lense, but even in the great outdoors there is a wide difference throughout the day in color variences and that is why thier is a thing called white balance on the higher end digital cameras. of course the human brain is able to compensate for the changes in color weather indoors or outdoors so that we don't even notice it.

so go check what you can at the stores, make sure the the scopes are as equall as possible in thier nominclature and if you still can't make up your mind, read through these old posts and you will get an Idea of the scopes you can bet on and those you can't but it looks like you have allready figured out the million dollar question.  

c.j.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2006 at 11:01
Actually what I'm saying is that if you look through three scopes that should be pretty equal and can't tell any difference, you need to look through one that should be noticeably better and one that should be noticeably worse.  If they are, then you can have some confidence in what you're seeing through the other three.  If you can't see the difference you should, then you need to reevaluate.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2006 at 14:50

If you compare top quality scopes you will find most over $600 scopes are pretty darn good or they would never sell one. People have preferences based on the prior experience they have had with the company as well as what can be seen. I called Burris and complained about an expensive 3-12 balistic plex pistol scope not having useable eye relief over 6x- they couldn't care less. ILEA sniper instructer John Metzger told me every time there has been a problem with a Leupold Tactical scope Leupold has very quickly made a diligent effort to fix the problem but not so with S&B and some others. Leupold has a reputation for quality,a reputation for quality,a reputation for quality  .....read my lips: a reputation for quality.

Plus I like the finger adjustable windage and elevation with markers to be able to reset to zero after you correct 13.25MOA up to take a .308 from its 200yd zero to a 600 yd zero.

The VXIII is my second pick  -  but then my first pick is Leupold Mark 4 Tactical:

LEU54660 Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • M1 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
SWFA: $969.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic