OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How I got King Tut (32 point)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How I got King Tut (32 point)
    Posted: November/26/2011 at 13:40
My father-in-law had been capturing King Tut on the game came for a little over three weeks at this point, and spent 22 hours out in the stand hunting for him, but he never showed. then the unthinkable happened. King Tut had been originally showing up consistently at 1030 p.m. and 430 a.m. The day before Thanksgiving he showed up twice during the day, 30 mins after my father in law shot his 8 point, around 1130 am, and 30 minutes after they left the blind, at 430 pm. Well Thanksgivinig day we came to the in-laws, and spent it with them. The next morning I went and bought my license, then got to the stand around 10 am. I had washed all my gear the night before in Scent Killer, and my father-in-law had about 15 lbs of corn soaking in strawberry Jell-O for about a day. I sprayed myself down and left the house, went to the truck and grabbed his .308, sprayed my boots down again and grabbed the corn and headed out. I got about 50 yards from the stand, sprayed some estrus on my boots, and walked to the stand and set my rifle down. I then walked over by where the game cam was set up, sprinkled some of the corn, and squirted some estrus on it, then walked about 150 yards from the stand and spread the rest of the corn out, and sprayed a little tree down with the estrus. I then walked back up to the stand and sat there for two hours. Grunting and scanning, grunting and scanning. The great thing is the wind was blowing from south to north, and I was at the north end of the property. During the two hours of grunting, a bunch of cows walked the west fenceline to the southern fenceline. I was starting to get a little upset, thinking the cows had pushed out the deer.  At 12 noon I had told myself that I was gonna climb down, and meander around the property (about 20 acres of actual trees where we hunt). I hit the grunt call one last time at 1150 in the stand, looked down in my lap as I let the call go back down around my neck, looked to the left where we have persimmon trees, and looked straight ahead again to see a buck just starting to walk out of the woods. I told myself, "No it can't be" and pulled the rifle up to see him. Sure enough, it was the monster of the night, the one buck that everyone was hoping for. He was walking with his head lowered, swaying side to side, looking to fight the buck that was challenging him on his turf. He walked from my 12 oclock to my 10 oclock, about 20 yards out of the woods, about to head behind a tree into the woods going towards the persimmon trees. I said to myself, shaking, he needs to stop or I'll never get the chance to shoot. Right after I said that he took one step, at between a 45 and broadside, and I put the crosshairs right behind his front left shoulder, halfway down from the top of his back, and fired. For that split second I said that I missed, but as soon as I looked over the scope, he was down, kicked once, and laid there. I knew he was dead. I was so happy I climbed down, looked at the deer again, then ran the entire 600 yards back to the house to get someone, only to find out my entire family of in-laws were getting ready to come to me, hoping it was the big deer, respectively named King Tut by my father in law.

First buck I've ever shot, weighed in at the check in station (outside old scale) at 130 with my wife still holding his head up off the ground. I had about 40 or 50 people stop there and ask me about him, where I shot him, and if it was a "high fence" ranch, how many points he had. The majority of these individuals took pictures to show their families, and for themselves. I was on cloud 9.

We took him then to the town where my father in law was working, showed him, shook hands and smiled and took some pictures, then headed over to the processor to get the meat taken care of. The taxidermist is having a contest to whoever shoots the biggest buck will win a free shoulder mount. The closest guy to me is a 160's class typical. A Boone & Crockett representative will be at the taxidermist end of January, beginning of February after the 60 day period is up to give me an official score. The taxidermist rough scored it between 175-190.

Stats

32 Point Non-Typical Whitetail
150 lbs after gutted.
Estimated 3 1/2-4 years old.
Rough estimate of 175-190 score.

Edited by LRSMike - November/26/2011 at 13:41
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2011 at 15:25
Congratulations again Mike, great story!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2011 at 17:35
Holy Crap!!!    Way to go!!!    Bucky     

Visit the Ed Show
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2011 at 22:17
That's great! Nice to hear the whole story and glad it was you who got the big one.
Reaction time is a factor...
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2011 at 08:58
Mike when you want a buck to stop be ready to shoot and say "MACK" in a low voice he will stop and look at you to figure out what you are - shoot without delay.  You can also stop a buck in full run by whistling loudly he will stop and look.  Curiosity may or may not have kiilled the cat but I guarantee it has smoked some bucks.
Congratulations now that you have gotten the monster deer you can relax and be calm when those 8 and 10 points come in -- right?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2011 at 14:09
Great story Mike, thanks for sharing and congratulations.
Chem-man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chem-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2011 at 17:10
Awesome read. Great story, thanks for sharing!
Breath, Relax, Aim, Stop, Squeeze...
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2011 at 07:52
YippeeCongrats
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2011 at 07:59
Congrats!!!  Now if only we had a PICTURE!!!Excellent
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Hatari View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2011 at 09:23
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

No Pics
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2011 at 09:30
Originally posted by Hatari Hatari wrote:

Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

No Pics
slackers..
http://opticstalk.com/big-buck-down_topic31113.html
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2011 at 19:48
Haha thanks Graham!
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 08:41
Wink  careful Mike...he'll mess up your thread like he comes doing to the coffee house thread. Cool
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic