OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Eotech model differences

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eotech model differences
    Posted: November/25/2011 at 16:35
Looking for an Eotech for a new Colt Ar.
After 3 hours on the websites, I've narrowed it down to the 553, 556, or EXPS3
I'm trying to figure out if there are any feature differences between them or if it's just that the 553/556 takes 2 batteries.
If anyone can tell me, I appreciate it.
Thanks,
Al
Al in Placerville CA
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 17:09
My 553 had the ARMS mount, but I don't think the 556 does? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 17:11
You sure we can't swing ya over to the Dark Side?? Devil
Aimpoint.....

Al D View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 18:43
I looked at the Aimpoint and the biggest thing that pushed me to Eotech is the batteries. I just don't need one more type of battery to carry around and stock (and sometimes run out of). I already buy 123 baterries by the box for my flashlights.
I know picking a scope because of batteries (or ruling one out) seems silly, but with all my rifles and handguns I'm starting to feel like a gun shop. 1 less thing to inventory.
Al in Placerville CA
JimIslander View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIslander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2011 at 08:53
Originally posted by Al D Al D wrote:

I looked at the Aimpoint and the biggest thing that pushed me to Eotech is the batteries.

Really? Seriously? Shocked

A T1 battery lasts over 5 years...and that is if you leave it on all the time. NOTHING is more durable or has a battery that lasts longer. You can store a single extra battery in your stock or grip, but you don't need to.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2011 at 10:25
What a shame to have to buy batteries I dont -- I use tritium & fiber optic .
Trijicon 1.5x16 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Amber Triangle Trijicon 1.5x16 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA442
  • Amber Triangle
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
$945.95
Trijicon 1.5x16 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Red Crosshair Trijicon 1.5x16 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA44R4
  • Red Crosshair
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
$945.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2011 at 10:30
I do have a couple of these that run on AA batteries though (one battery will last you an entire war not so with EOTech) :
Aimpoint CompM4s 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint CompM4s 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - AIM12172
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Night Vision Compatible
  • Picatinny Mount Included
  • Spacer Included
  • Killflash Included
  • Bikini cover Included
$773.95
And I have a couple of these with the odd little battery but I have never had a battery go out and it uses the same battery as a Leu Mk4 illuminated scope:
Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - AIM11419
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
$397.95

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - November/26/2011 at 10:38

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Barnacle Bill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barnacle Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2011 at 17:37
When I took a carbine class, in one of the early sessions on gear the staff told us that they see a lot of students come through with Aimpoints & Eotechs, but that when a student had trouble with their RDS it was invariably the EOtech.  I have no personal experience of this, just passing on what I was told.  I own a couple of Aimpoints but they are very low mileage so far, so I can't swear to their reliability & robustness personally. 

I can attest that they are very easy to use.  I like the Micros for lightweight applications like an M4gery or M1 Carbine (with an Ultimak mount), or the new PRO if you are tight on $.  I want to build a 20" flat top AR with a pencil barrel & Magpul UBR stock, and the optic plan is Urimaginaryfrnd's CompM4s.  I got that idea after I put a PRO & a gooseneck mount on a 20" A2 clone and saw just how unbelievably handy even a 20" AR gets with an RDS.  The problem with the darned things is that now I want to buy them like my wife buys shoes & mount them on everything but the car.  Now that I think about it, I'm having this vision of rigging a .50 rifle up under the front bumper & putting an aimpoint on the dash...
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2011 at 19:05
Im convinced that in low light the Trijicon ACOG and compact ACOG have the distinct advantage because they have clear glass where there is a slight tint to the coating on an Aimpoint scope that I believe reduces light transmission just slightly.  I also fine the 1.5x compact ACOG to give just a hint of magnification and the triangle to be a superior aiming device using the whole thing up close and working off the point of the triangle at longer distances.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Al D View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2011 at 20:15
I was set to buy the EXPS3 with the FTS 3xmagnifier, but I'll look again at the Aimpoints and Acogs.
I have an experienced freind that is 100% sold on the EOTechs, so I wasn't going to look further.
You talked me into another look at some other brands.
I'm having a little trouble figuring out what the differences between the Aimponts are. I'll print out spec sheets on each and compare them. Then I'll go look through a few and decide.
Thanks for the input.
Al in Placerville CA
JimIslander View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIslander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2011 at 21:20
Seriously, T1 and H1 are your real best choices. T1 is night vision compatible (much dimmer settings) and waterproof to a few more meters. H1 = no night vision but is about $100 cheaper. All other models are heavier, but some have smaller MOA dot.
BTW, used to mine gold on the Mokelomne river near West Point and Pine Grove. Folks ran a ranch in San Andreas.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2011 at 22:26
I guess I am in the minority, but I have an EOTech and I prefer it over the Aimpoint. I have had it for about five years with no issues. From what I understand both EOTechs and Amipoints are being used by the military. I think it is personal preference. But that being said I am with Urimaginaryfrnd and my next will be an compact Acog.

oldolds442 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldolds442 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2011 at 07:25
i have both, and like them both....the xps models have the bvattery sideways, so recoil wont affect the battery springs, and a lot shorter design....go with the xps-3
Al D View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2011 at 11:01
I went ahead and bought the EOTech MPOII  EXPS3-4 with the 3x magnifier.
According to UPS Tracking, Jose's midnight auto supply will deliver it Monday. I tried to get SWFA to match the price since I have heard questionalble reports about   . They said Jose's midnight auto supply wasn't an "Authorized" distributor, so they wouldn't match it it.
For $145, I decided to give Jose's midnight auto supply a chance and they shipped it right out. AR gets out of jail today, so I should be checking it all out soon.
Thanks for all the input.

(Rule Violation advertising for the competition)

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/03/2011 at 17:06
Al in Placerville CA
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2011 at 17:09
When you buy some of the black market products that were routed through other countries you will find that they do not have a U.S. Warranty.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
bigdtd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdtd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2011 at 10:18
you get what you pay for
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2011 at 11:18
Al, I hope that works out for you.

I have used EoTech quite a bit and have moved to Aimpoint and Trijicon Reflex (I like ACOGs, but don't need that niche filled at this moment - my rifles are CQB or "reach out", nothing really in between.)

I am a real T1 fan now, it is a great site and almost perfect in a CQB roll (very little actual optic to obscure the target and FOV, great battery life, very clear dot, very rugged, easily adjusted, not easily knocked out of adjustment.)  EoTech lots me on battery life and pixiliation of the reticle - I know some claim it is a non-issue, but it is an issue to me.  Damn those preconceptions!

Buying from a non-authorized dealer is something I avoid, especially at these price points.  I hope you didn't just initiate a pain in the ass, all for saving $145.

Good luck, let us know what you think of the optic when it is in and has some range time.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
topbrass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2011 at 17:23
I have seen some fake/counterfeit/copies of EOTECH optics at the range. 

I dont know what you got, I'm just saying! 

338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2011 at 17:51
I would take EO-TECH and twice on Sunday.

Aim-points are preferred for paper punchers.
No one

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2011 at 18:08
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

I would take EO-TECH and twice on Sunday.

Aim-points are preferred for paper punchers.

Not sure where you get that, my friend.   

I know names of "people punchers" and top shelf firearms instructors who are Aimpoint fans. Pat Rogers and Larry Vickers come to mind.        
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic