OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownchristian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Help
    Posted: November/25/2011 at 15:32
I have an older Leupold Vari X II 3-9 x 50 that has been perfect for over 10 years when I bought it used from a co-worker.  Not sure how old it is but I have had ZERO problems with this scope.  Last weekend i gut shot two pigs and knew I had a problem.

Shot targets yesterday and thankfully I was using a feed sack as a target.  First shot was 18 inches low and 2 inches left.  So I dialed the scope up and got the height right.  Then started to move it right.  All of sudden it moved 6 inches high and then 9 inches left.  Unfortunately I had run out of shells so I had to change from 150 grain Federal Premium to 140 grain Barnes mid shoot.  So I started moving it again and I finally was able to put it inside the circles and tweaked it one last time to get it right where I wanted it and the damn thing shot 8" high again.

What in the world could be happening?  Can a scope go bad all of a sudden?  I don't recall ever dropping or jarring the scope but I guess anything is possible.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 15:52
Check mounting gear first, friend. Ring cap screws, base screws, etc. 

If you've done that, you may indeed have a scope puke issue. It happens. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 21:31
If you have a windage adj base start there. My first choice would be to throw it in the trash. Ill spare you my thoughts on those but you get the idea...
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
brownchristian View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownchristian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2011 at 21:21
Thanks for the help guys. Gave the gun a good cleaning last night and checked all the mounting hardware. Everything was tight. Took it to the range today and it took me 12to rounds but I got it back. Shot three rounds right where I wanted them all able to touch a quarter at 100 yards. I was amazed how much movement there was if I didn't cool the barrel.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2011 at 09:07
On the bright side if the scope went tits up -- Send it to Leupold they will fix it for you FREE or replace it FREE.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2011 at 08:27
It wouldn't surprise me if it's bad as I've had 2 Leupold with this exact same issue, and a friend that had another one had the same issue with his right out of the box. That said, I'd give Leupold a call as they do take care of you. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic