OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What variable scope would you buy????

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: LR Big Game Hunting/Target scope with Tactical Bells & Whistles
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [25.00%]
5 [41.67%]
4 [33.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormtrooper154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What variable scope would you buy????
    Posted: February/07/2006 at 00:08

New member looking for a scope for my custom build .30-06 based off a Nazi K98 action.  Just waiting for all the parts to arrive to send to smith.  I am using it as a dual purpose rifle Hunting/Paper punching at long range.  So far we have the following parts for the build.....

Hogue Overmolded full bed stock

Shilen #4 Contour Barrel, Fluted

Timney Ultra-Match Trigger w/ Side Safety

Replacement Bolt Shroud

Custom Welded Bolt, Not Forged

Smith will supply any other need parts.

Now I am looking for a tactical scope to top it off with.  My father, after retiring from the Police Dept, went to work at Leupold in Beaverton, OR.  He retired from there about 1 year ago.  If he still worked there, I wouldn't need to do this poll.....Employee pricing  But since he retired without letting me know (damn him), I am now looking at buying retail and wanting the best optics for the money.

The prices next to the scope in the poll answers are the lowest I have found on the internet from authorized dealers.  Please chime in and let me know your experiences with these optics.  If you think I have overlooked another brand scope with the same quality/cost, please let me know so I can take a look at it.

Thanks all

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2006 at 09:33
I've got to vote for the Nikon Tactical.  Rock solid scope with great glass. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2006 at 11:09

All are good.  Conquest is probably the best glass out of the three.

In this price range though, I'd get an IOR 4-14x50 with MP-8 retcle.  The glass is comparable to Zeiss, but I like the MP-8 reticle a bit more.

Can't really go wrong with any of these, although IMO Leupold Mark 4 and Nikon Tactical are a bit overpriced.

ILya

noddah View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noddah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2006 at 11:35

For value and for glass I voted for the Zeiss. I also agree with Koshkin there are other scopes such as the IOR  (Not all... but many IOR models) that also give this value vs glass.

My next vote would be for the Leupold. Reasons of Turrets,  Product Warranty and because its an American Company.

I too have a converted / sported K98 - 3006 it will / does make a great rifle.  

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2006 at 03:55

Tough call.....

I like the knobs and the robustness of the Nikon.

This is more of a scope you can drag around, beat and bang, and shoot a "tactical match" with.

Same could be said about the Mark 4, only it offers more internal elevation than the Nikon or the Conquest. I assume.

The Nikon and Conquest lack of "up" can be easily solved with a 20 moa rail from Badger, TPS, ect.  

I believe all the scopes have etched reticles. I know the Nikon and Conquest do.

I'd probably go Nikon in a close one.....  

Be sure to give SWFA a chance to earn your bidness as well.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2006 at 03:57

Hey......Who voted for the Loopie???

I bet it was Yates...... That Leupold floosy!!

Stormtrooper154 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormtrooper154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2006 at 08:58

Gosh, I really thought there would be more votes for the Leupold.  That was the model I was leaning toward.  Customer service, good quality, and resale value if nothing else. 

As to give SWFA a chance to earn my business, I will be more then happy to give them a shot.  I called them the other day and was going to get a little more info on the Nikon Tactical 6689, but they said it was no longer being made and they didn't have anymore of them

Keep the votes coming in and suggestions for other brands

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormtrooper154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2006 at 01:40

Thanks for all the advice guys.  Since I am going to use this rifle for hunting mainly, I went ahead and bought a LEUPOLD VX III 6.5-20 X 50MM SF LR TARGET.  It doesn't have the reticles I was looking for of course, however my father is still friends with the guys working in Leupolds Custom Shop and they said send it down to them and they will add any custom ones for me at employee cost   

I think I will have them make one based of the bullet I will be using.  I will also make some other little changes to it for looks....Mark 4 black ring, ect.  Once again, Thanks everyone. 

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2006 at 03:50
Im a Leupold fan. I think the correct scope is the Mark 4   4.5 to 14 x 50 with M1 dials that said I am quite happy with my 8.5 - 25 X 50 Mark 4 and my 10 x 40 Mark4  M3. I had a feeling that if dad worked there he still knew somebody else who could be of assistance.  I would say that once you are into it far enough to pay the price of a 6.5-20 x50 target knob VX-III its not that much more to just force yourself to go to the Mark 4 and I really like the M1 knobs.  Buy American    not Romainan Jap and German it wasnt that long ago we were fighting them the only thing worse would be to buy Chinese they are likely to be on the opposite side of the next big war.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2006 at 03:56

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Buy American    not Romainan Jap and German it wasnt that long ago we were fighting them the only thing worse would be to buy Chinese they are likely to be on the opposite side of the next big war.

Not a real good argument, Friend.

Or as they say here in NC,

"That dog don't hunt!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2006 at 03:58

ST:

Let us know how you like your scope, and post some pics when you get it on your stick. OK??

Good shooting!!

I forgot about Nikon discontinuing the 4-16x. Bummer!!

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormtrooper154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2006 at 08:45

Yeah...I will post some pictures once I get the rifle build complete.  My smith went to the Shot Show, but he is starting on my rifle right when he gets back on the 13th.  I purchased the scope from an authorized dealer through his ebay auction.  $680 for the scope, another 80-90 for the custom reticles, $15.00 for BC caps.  $775-$800 and I got a custom built leupold for my rifle.

Of course if my dad still worked there, could have knocked a few hundred off that price   Anyway, I will post pictures as soon as the rifle is done.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic