OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR 15 scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wareagle1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR 15 scope
    Posted: November/25/2011 at 10:15
Hi, a year and a half ago i bought a DPMS .223. i have practiced and am close as i think i can get to mastering the iron sights. i am now ready to try a tactical scope. i know you get what you pay for but im a poor college student so my budget is thin...under $200. i mostly shoot between 50 and 100 yards and sometimes the longest being 200 yards. i have been told to checkout ncstar and barska but i know these are poor quality. can anyone suggest something that might be around my price range
War Eagle
wareagle1986 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wareagle1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 10:16
sorry can anyone suggest something of better quality that might be around my price range.
War Eagle
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 10:29
http://swfa.com/Optisan-1-4x24-Mamba-SWFA-SALT-Combo-P50669.aspx
This scope has been getting decent reviews for the price.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 11:14
What are the uses of the gun? If it's general shooting and hunting, you can get get some pretty decent glass in that price range. The scope won't come with adjustable turrets or mil-dots. But those features aren't necessary at your ranges.
Burris Fullfields come to mind. A friend is running a 1.5-6x40 Burris on has M4 type and is more than happy.
http://swfa.com/Burris-Fullfield-II-Rifle-Scopes-C56.aspx
Others here @ O.T. have had good success with the Vortex Diamondbacks.
http://swfa.com/Vortex-Diamondback-Rifle-Scopes-C1409.aspx
I'm just looking at the constraints you have mentioned.

Doug
wareagle1986 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wareagle1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 12:24
mostly for range shooting at multiple targets at about 100 yards. so im looking for something that will be efficient for changing targets quickly.
War Eagle
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 12:50
I don't think you need the big turrets for that. Hopefully some others might chime in with reticle choices. I would be fine with a plex for that, though. 
Doug
Barnacle Bill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barnacle Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 13:44
I would suggest a non-magnified red dot sight for your application.  They totally excel at rapidly switching between targets.  SWFA has Docter's on close-out pricing at $249.95, which is about 1/2 price.  I don't own a Docter, but they seem pretty popular.  Admittedly they are often mounted on handguns or as a CQB site on a fixed-power ACOG, but no reason you couldn't mount it on a flat top AR with the right mount (the SWFA page on the Docter shows one for $19.95, or you can spend $150 on a Larue).  The Docter comes in a 3.5 MOA dot and a 7 MOA dot.  I have a 4 MOA dot Aimpoint Micro on my AR and it works fine at the kind of distances you are talking about, so I think you'd be GTG with the 3.5 MOA Docter. 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 15:11
Originally posted by Barnacle Bill Barnacle Bill wrote:

I have a 4 MOA dot Aimpoint Micro on my AR and it works fine at the kind of distances you are talking about.

You bet! Those Aimpoint Micros are outstanding! 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 15:14
I'd check out the Nikon M223 in your price range. Really designed for an AR and at the ranges you mentioned. Never used one, but I've read several good reviews from friends of this unit. 

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barnacle Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 18:02
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

You bet! Those Aimpoint Micros are outstanding! 

Indeed.

I got mine through a special Midway AR15.com deal for $499.99 and I love it, actually I bought 2 of them and wish I'd snagged more at that price.  Unfortunately that's far beyond the OP's stated price range.  The Docter might meet his needs at a price he can afford (given the SWFA close-out).  IMO red dots rule, at least for anything "practical" 200y or less.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 18:11
For 200 yards, I wouldn't mind a little power. I've shot out past 200 yards with an Aimpoint, but I'd like a little juice.

I like the 1-4x ideas mentioned here....I just have a crush on Aimpoint products and got side tracked a bit when you mentioned the Micros. Wink  
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barnacle Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 18:51
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

For 200 yards, I wouldn't mind a little power. I've shot out past 200 yards with an Aimpoint, but I'd like a little juice.

I like the 1-4x ideas mentioned here....I just have a crush on Aimpoint products and got side tracked a bit when you mentioned the Micros. Wink  

Ah, but the OP said mostly 100y or less with ocasional 200y, which says to me a non-magnified red dot.

If 200y - 400y was a major consideration, I too would like a 1-4x.  If that but significant CQB as well, then a 1-4x with a bright illumination e.g. Meopta K-dot (no idea what is available like that in the OP's stated price range).  The latter is a good all-arounder, but I retired it from my M4gery because I realized I'd probably never use it past 200y, so the weight was gaining me nothing.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 20:36
Dont delay there is a Black Friday special for a day or two.
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42BF
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - November/25/2011 at 20:37

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 20:37
SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm Scope Mount SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm Scope Mount
Stock # - SS30HSSALT
  • Picatinny MIL-STD-1913
  • Matte
  • Comes with 1" Inserts
$59.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - November/25/2011 at 20:37

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2011 at 08:04
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

http://swfa.com/Optisan-1-4x24-Mamba-SWFA-SALT-Combo-P50669.aspx
This scope has been getting decent reviews for the price.
+1 in your price this is a great option.  I have one now and am impressed with it.  Has held up good.  There is a review in the "members review section on it"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic