OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Recommendations/Opinions for AR15?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeintx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Recommendations/Opinions for AR15?
    Posted: November/24/2011 at 00:54

You guys have helped me out before so figured I would return for some more advice:

I am finishing my current AR15 build in 5.56. It is a flat top with fixed front sight post and flip-up rear sight. Purpose will be general target practice and some varmint hunting.

I am looking at the following scopes:
Optisan Mamba 1-4x24 w/S.A.L.T.
Vortex 2-7x35 BDC Diamondback

Any other suggestions and/or comments?

Current scope ownership experience:
Savage 110FP .223 w/Simmons (can't remember model)
Savage 10FP .308 w/BSA 4-16 Ill Mil-Dot
AR15 5.56 SBR w/EOTech
AR15 6.8 SPC w/Viper Vortex 2-7x35 BDC (on closeout wish I'd bought two but did not have this AR planned at the time)
Stevens 200 Custom 6.5x47 Lapua w/Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x50 BDC soon to be mounted when rifle returns from gunsmith)
mikeintx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeintx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2011 at 02:54
Update:

I may look into getting one of the following:

Leupold VX-II 2-7x33 LRP
Redfield 2-7x33 Accu Plex

Never owned a Leupod product....so hmm...
Barnacle Bill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barnacle Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2011 at 07:43
I have a Colt 16" flat top carbine with the same iron sight configuration you describe, and most of the time I've owned it I had a Meopta Meostar R1 1-4x22 K-dot on it.  I used it in a carbine class that involved both static shooting out to 300y and CQB stuff, and it worked very well for me.  I ended up replacing that scope on that carbine with an Aimpoint micro, just because I'm seeing that carbine as more of a short range weapon where magnification wasn't really needed and wanted to shed weight.  I'm putting the Meopta scope on a .308,though, because it is a very good scope.  If you don't like the K-dot reticle, it also comes in #4 and duplex (Meopta calls it "Z-Plex II").  Anyway, I'm pleased with the scope and don't hesitate to recommend it.
mikeintx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeintx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2011 at 09:53

Barnacle Bill

Those scopes are nice I am sure. However, I forgot to mention my price range. I am looking to spend less than 300. I may save up and go up some more. However the Meopta R1 starts at 679.95 (3.5-10x50) which is way above my price range.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2011 at 12:16
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2011 at 17:44
I use a Weaver 5-20x44 on my AR however its used for target shooting at 100 yards plus.
If general plinking/target something like the Redfield revolution 2-7x33 is a clear quality scope
I have one mounted on a mini-30 holds zero without problems.
Barnacle Bill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barnacle Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2011 at 21:28
Originally posted by mikeintx mikeintx wrote:

Those scopes are nice I am sure. However, I forgot to mention my price range. I am looking to spend less than 300. I may save up and go up some more. However the Meopta R1 starts at 679.95 (3.5-10x50) which is way above my price range.

In your price range, you might also look at the Bushnell Elite line.  I don't have any personal experience there, but have heard good things.
MeoptaSurujh View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeoptaSurujh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 06:30
You could also check out the Meopta MeoPro line (3-9x42, 4-12x50 or 6-18x50) with ballistic EXT reticles.
Yes I work for Meopta, but I am not here to sell Meopta. Just answering questions and providing reasonable insight.
mikeintx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeintx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2011 at 02:00
Well guys I purchased a Nitrex 3-9x40 w/ballistic plex reticle. Found a good deal on one. The other reviews I could find on the TR1 was that the glass was considered to be on par with the Weaver Grand Slam. So that will go on this AR.

Got the scope in today and checked it out. It looks good and eye relief seems to be right on what is listed. About 3.5" at 3x. So time will tell how well it will hold up...

Getting a new bolt action Tikka T3 this week too....now gotta decide what glass to put on it..it will be for hunting deer etc. Hmm...decisions decisions...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic