OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bore Sighting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kherfurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bore Sighting
    Posted: February/06/2006 at 16:35

I recently installed a new Burris Fullfield II scope I purchased from SWFA. I used Burris Signature Rings.  I had the scope bore sighted at a local gunsmithing school. I took the rifle to a local scrimshaw artist to have some scrimshaw work done on the rifle.  The artist returned my recently installed scope when he began work on my firearm.  I have several questions.

When I reinstall the scope on the rifle should it be bore sighted again? 

What is the most accurate and reliable bore sighting tool that I can purchase on the market? I am not a gunsmith, just a firearm owner so I don't need the most expensive tool.

Kim
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2006 at 17:35

Unless you have some sort of quick detach return to aero rings, you need to re-boresight it.  Most any boresight will get you on paper.  I am impressed with the little caliber specific laser "bullets".

ranburr

Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2006 at 07:19

Any time you remove a scope, you need to re-boresight the rifle, unless you meet the criteria ranburr mentioned above.

I use a Laserlyte Super Hi-Precision boresighting system, it gets me very close on paper @ 100 yds. Cost of this unit is about $150.00 (Cabela's) "The World's Foremost & Expensive Outfitter"

Tip: If you go with one of these or a similar unit, the instructions advise boresighting at 25-30 yds. I've found that for optimum accuracy you must boresight near dark (the laser is very bright)  and do it at a distance of approximately 100 yds. This has worked very well for me. Also, if you opt for a front-end boresighter such as this, spend the extra money and purchase the high-precision model, the cheaper lasers tend to get "fuzzy" when trying to bore sight at ranges longer than 25 yds. This has a very poor effect on the accuracy of the bore sight. 

kherfurt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kherfurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2006 at 19:31

Have any of you used a Sight Lite SL-100 from Cabela's? It is about $100.00.  Does this one throw a "fuzzy" light beyond 25 yards?

Thanks,

Kim

Kim
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2006 at 07:24
Originally posted by kherfurt kherfurt wrote:

Have any of you used a Sight Lite SL-100 from Cabela's? It is about $100.00.  Does this one throw a "fuzzy" light beyond 25 yards?

Thanks,

Kim

I've got no experience with that one.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic