OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kruger, Eagle, Vortex or Meopta

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyblev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kruger, Eagle, Vortex or Meopta
    Posted: November/23/2011 at 14:16
I have seen several post here about different binos.  Here I am asking the same questions as everyone else who it not very educated about binos.  I have done some research and have had several pair of different binos in my hand.  What I'm looking for is a rugged pair of 10x or 8 x42 for a western Elk hunt.  The cost of the hunt and other items have my budget at a drain right now.  Yes I have looked through Swarvo's and yes they are great, but way out of my price range.  I live in a very rural area and I'm not able to or are there any optics stores around to do a side by side comparison.  My price is no more than $500 and I know that this is pushing it thin, but I do believe that I can get a good used pair at this price. If anyone has any suggestions or comparisions to the binos I mentioned any feedback is welcomed.
motts View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 16:25
I think the Vortex Viper HD would be a good choice at that price point. Also, depending on your time frame, if you could find a pair of Leupold Golden Ring HD, that would be a great choice. You may also find some Meopta Meostar used for that price range as well or even Zeiss Conquest.

Minox may have some decent binos in that price range, but I have not tried them. You could also try the Nikon Monarch X, Zen Ray ED3, or other similars. You mentioned the Kruger in your title. Those have good optics for the money. They have unique ocular lenses, which allow them to have an exceptionally wide field of view, which is neat. However, because of the wide eye pieces, they did not fit my face well. Good optics, but might want to try them out beforehand to make sure they fit you ok...really should do that with any bino anyway.

There are so many good choices to be had for under $500. Just need to try them out and see which you prefer. Good luck on the hunt.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 16:35
Originally posted by kyblev kyblev wrote:

I have seen several post here about different binos.  Here I am asking the same questions as everyone else who it not very educated about binos.  I have done some research and have had several pair of different binos in my hand.  What I'm looking for is a rugged pair of 10x or 8 x42 for a western Elk hunt.  The cost of the hunt and other items have my budget at a drain right now.  Yes I have looked through Swarvo's and yes they are great, but way out of my price range.  I live in a very rural area and I'm not able to or are there any optics stores around to do a side by side comparison.  My price is no more than $500 and I know that this is pushing it thin, but I do believe that I can get a good used pair at this price. If anyone has any suggestions or comparisions to the binos I mentioned any feedback is welcomed.
From your stated $500 limit you can get some very good glass.  I have the Kruger Caldera and they are terrific, but Motts is right about the size of the oculars.  They are just on the border of too big for me as well, but they work, and they are keepers.  The Zen Ray ZEN ED 3, the Vortex Talon HD or its EO brother, the Theron Wapiti APO-ED will all work as well.  All are less than $500, all will only be bested by very small amounts by 3-4x more expensive glass.

I'd take the ZEN ED 3 or Vortex Talon over the Vortex Viper offering because of price for value.  The Viper HD is also over your limit. 

What are some you have had in hand that either did or did not interest you?  That might be a place to start from.

Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

kyblev View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyblev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 19:44
I have tried several brands.  I went to Bass Pro and got to try the Swarvos, Steiner, Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss, Vortex and Bushnell.  Well like I said the Swarvos are very nice, but out of my range.  Didn't care for the Nikons, Bushnell or Leupold (Green Ring).  I thought the Steiners were overrated. I did like the Zeiss but they seemed to bulky.  Of all the ones I tried, for the money the Vortex Viper was the best overall.  No, not quite as clear as the Swarvos, but not as expensive either.  Better than Leupold, Nikon, Steiner and Bushnell.  I thought they (Vortex Viper) were just about as good as the Zeiss Conquest at about half the price.  Like I said, my options are limited so the only ones I have tried are thr ones mentioned above.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 09:36
If you like the Swaros then you will like the Meopta Meostars. Same type of optical performance and similar build/design. You can find them used on everyone's favorite auction site in the price range you are looking for. I picked up an 8x32 a few weeks ago for $450 shipped.
Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic