OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Durability of SWFA SS HD 1-4x?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreadPirateMoyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Durability of SWFA SS HD 1-4x?
    Posted: November/23/2011 at 12:54
Just got my first SWFA SS HD scope (1-4x, donut reticle, capped turrets), and I couldn't be any happier. This thing is build like an absolute tank, and the reticle is insanely innovative. It's so easy to use at any of the scope's designed distances that I'm shocked similar systems are more commonly produced. Words cannot even begin to express how excited I am to be an owner of this scope. Big Grin Great job, SWFA.

With all of that said, I've got two questions regarding the scope and the Bobro mount it comes with:

1. What exactly are its durability limits? I've seen Glocks buried for 2 years, Aimpoints thrown from helicopters, and a bunch of other crazy stuff. The engineer/geek in me is supremely curious as to what this scope can take, just so I know how far I could push it if I ever needed to. Bandito

2. I also ask because I've got kind of a quandry. I've got my scope/mount attached to an AR-15, and it's pretty tough to get my Pelican case (egg-crate foam) to close on the whole package. I have to half-sit on the case to get it closed (I don't put my full weight on it, but quite a bit). Do you think this will hurt the scope at all? I'm betting it doesn't hurt, because not only is the scope overbuilt like all hell, but the pressure being applied to the scope is actually pretty low since it's embedded in foam and the surface area of the whole rifle package is so large.

Anyway, thanks for answering. Happy to be a member here and an owner of an SWFA scope. It's glorious. :)
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 14:21
First off most cases allow someone to cut foam to fit or purchase foam that can be cut to fit which solves that. You may find upon closer inspection that your foam is actually two layers and ----one remains solid, while the second is cut to fit the rifle scope and gear or removed entirely.
Putting it into a pelican case is not likely to damage any scope.  The scope is built for military use and should take quite a beating, however I would not intentionally use it as a hammer.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
DreadPirateMoyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreadPirateMoyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 14:29
Yeah, you're definitely right about the cases. I purchased a non-standard type of Pelican case, though, as seen here: http://www.casesbypelican.com/app-1720.htm (option #3, full egg-crate on both sides).

It's good to hear from a more scope-learned person than I that sitting on my case to close it won't hurt the scope. :)
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 19:36
An electric carving knife works well to cut the foam. I cut the foam down the middle to leave at least 1/2 the thickness for each of the outsides. Then draw an outline around the rifle on the 2 inside layers. Cut out the design and wala. A near perfect fit.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 17:25
OK..OK...enough about "foam" already!!!  Big Grin

That SS will take a beating, my friend. I haven't heard of one breaking yet. I had mine mounted to an AR and went tear assin around hog hunting with mine this year in TX. I beat and banged it around pretty good.  

Washed the AR and scope/Bobro mount in a hotel bathtub when I got back to get the filth that had acquired in that DRY TX landscape.Bubble Bath Slapped it back on and she was dead nuts on my original 100 zero.  

That scope, like all SS's, is a hoss.      
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2011 at 08:05
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

That scope, like all SS's, is a hoss.      
I'll second that!
atomiclab View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomiclab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2011 at 21:16
I like the sound of that
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2011 at 22:01
I would say the SS scopes are pretty weak, compared to maybe a 20 ton titanium block, but it is hard to say.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 08:18
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

I would say the SS scopes are pretty weak, compared to maybe a 20 ton titanium block, but it is hard to say.
overacheiver
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 10:50
My 10x42 SS took 3 foot drop from my folks deck to the ground. Picked it up look at it saw a little nick on the windage knob went and shot it still dead nuts on! I believe somebody even ran one over or something like that, I'd like to see a video or pics of it myself lol.
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
lumberjack149 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumberjack149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 12:04
Originally posted by hunterwingler hunterwingler wrote:

I believe somebody even ran one over or something like that, I'd like to see a video or pics of it myself lol.
it was Bigdaddy, coming up on 4yrs ago next month
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 17:19
Originally posted by lumberjack149 lumberjack149 wrote:

Originally posted by hunterwingler hunterwingler wrote:

I believe somebody even ran one over or something like that, I'd like to see a video or pics of it myself lol.
it was Bigdaddy, coming up on 4yrs ago next month
Thanks!! BD if you read this sounds like you have had about the same kind luck have had lol
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic