OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Who makes this scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who makes this scope
    Posted: November/22/2011 at 17:00
30MM tube, low end magnification of 2 or less, an objective lense of 40MM or more, and most importantly over 4 inches of eye relief.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2011 at 17:15
Leica, Burris, Leupold and Swarovski all make 30mm scopes with a low end of about 2x. They all come pretty close to 4" of eye relief, but I don't believe any of them have 4" of constant eye relief through their power range.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2011 at 17:36
Swarovski Z6 does everything you are asking (some reasoning for your requirements would be helpful) except for eyerelief which is about 3.74".

Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 has the eyerelief, but low end magnification is 2.5x

Burris SixX 2-12x40 (or 2-12x50) is pretty close with 3.5 to 4 inches of eyerelief.

Ditto for Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 which has 3.8" of eyerelief.

Minox ZA-5 2-10x40 satisfying all of your requirements except for the tube diameter: it is a 1" tube.

ILya
BigGameBalls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2011 at 19:44
Here is the deal. I have a Browning BAR LW Stalker with a Burris ED 1.5-6x40 on it. The combination is ALMOST perfect. I'd like to be able to mount the scope 1/2" to 1" farther forward on the gun. The Burris ED has to be mounted all the way back in the talley mounts in order to get the proper eye relief when wearing my hunting clothes. It's mounted so far back that I can now still see the barrel in my scope above 3 power. At 1.5 power so much of the barrel shows up that it's distracting. I had the scope mounted 1/2" farther forward and the view was perfect but I had to really stretch the neck and be in perfect shooting position while hunting to get the proper eye relief.

I love love love this gun and will never sell it. It holds 1"-1.5" 5 shot groups with every factory ammo I've put through it. For a semi it's a tack driver. So I'm on a mission to find the perfect scope for what I consider the perfect gun.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 01:31
I sounds like the stock might be a bit too long for you.

Either way, you do not necessarily need more eyerelief.  You can achieve the same purpose by simply using a longer scope or one with longer mounting length.

If I were you I would be looking at Leica ER 2.5-10x42 or at Minox ZA-5 2-10x40 if you want to stay on a budget.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 09:20
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I sounds like the stock might be a bit too long for you.

Either way, you do not necessarily need more eyerelief.  You can achieve the same purpose by simply using a longer scope or one with longer mounting length.

If I were you I would be looking at Leica ER 2.5-10x42 or at Minox ZA-5 2-10x40 if you want to stay on a budget.

ILya
Yes I do feel like the stock is about 1/4" - 1/2" too long but the problem is that it's a synthetic and cant be cut. The recoil pad on there now is only 5/8" thick and I'm having a heck of a time finding anything significantly thinner.

I may take a look at the Minox as it was the other scope I was debating with originally. I was scared off by some of the bad quality control issues people were complaining about and when SWFA had the Burris on close out it became a no brainer.

Are people still having problems with the Minox scopes?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 09:28
Also how much above 4" is the eye relief on the Minox?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 10:48
It really is just your scope.  I have the Burris 1.5-6x, it has a real funny tube that would not allow it to go back far enough.  I have mine on an AR so it is not an issue, but I can easily see how it could create a problem on some guns.

I also have a 1.7-10x Swaro and it gives you a lot more mounting length than the Burris will.  I have a Meopta 3-9x on my BAR and have a stock with a 13.5 inch pull.  With the tube length I have plenty of room.

Like Ilya said be looking at a scope with more tube length rather than more eye relief.  More eye relief is not always a good thing as it requires you to push the scope farther forward in the rings.  And depending up the length of the eye piece you may not be able to get it far enough forward before the eyepiece hits the base or rear ring. 

Another option is to get a picatinny rail on your rifle and get different rings that would allow you to move it where you need it. 

For what it is worth, my Burris in on a 16 inch AR.  Even mounted as high as it is I still see the end of my barrel below 3x. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 10:57

It looks a little wierd with the front ring almost all the way up to the bell but I can live with that part of it. The main issue is that the farther forward I can mount the scope the further forward the sight cone will start and thus I shoulld see less of the barrel. I've never had a rifle before where you could see a "smudge" from the barrel at 3x.

I'm assuming getting a scope with more mounting area will only help the asthetic part becasue as long as the eye relief is 4 inces or less the back of the scope will still need to be in the same position as the Burris. I'm probably being really anal right now but I guess that's how I am about my sporting equiptment.

Maybe I'll post a picture of the set up tonight when I get a chance.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 13:31
The old B&L/Bushnell Elite 4000/4200 1.5-6x36.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 13:37
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

The old B&L/Bushnell Elite 4000/4200 1.5-6x36.

That was a rather looong scope.  It would work.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 15:14
Can you guys tell me how much the actual eye relief is on the Minox? >4 is a little vague.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 15:16
Also is there any way to put myself on a watch list for the sample list? If SWFA were to come into a Lecia 2.5-10x42 with german #4 retical I just might drop the cash on it. I cant really afford to pay full price for one though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic