OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why hasn't the industry introduced an offset scope
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Why hasn't the industry introduced an offset scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why hasn't the industry introduced an offset scope
    Posted: November/22/2011 at 16:27
As the title might lead you to believe this is a modestly straight forward question.  That is, why hasn't the "industry" introduced a rifle scope that has an offset ocular lens?  Almost like what a spotting scope has.  It would be more ergonomically friendly while still retaining the scope body centered above the action of the firearm.  Instead of canting your head to one side it would allow the shooters head position to remain in a more upright fashion.  Maybe it is something that really isn't in "demand" hence it hasn't been done.  I was just thinking back to my late father, whom was in a rollover vehicle accident that broke his neck.  Afterword one of his biggest complaints was having to rotate his neck.  I'm sure there are many more who could utilize a feature such as this.

Thoughts anyone?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2011 at 17:36
You have to use prisms in those types of setups.  Building them to withstand recoil would be more costly and difficult I would bet.

Just one note on technique.  If you place the bottom tip of the stock in the pocket right under your collar bone you do not have to tilt or even dip your head to get into the sights on typical setup rifles.  The scope comes right to your eye without the head moving in the slightest. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2011 at 17:47
Resting your head on the stock allows for a more consistent eye position than simply holding your head straight up with no reference point hence not much interest on offset eyepieces.

For people with neck problems, offset eyepiece may be a good idea, but they are sufficiently small in number to not attract anyone's attention.

As a matter of record, prisms have been used in some riflescopes, like the PKS-07 which is/was issued with russian SV-98 sniper rifle.  ATN has also utilized prisms, but their dayscopes genreally left a lot to be desired.

ILya
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2011 at 18:26
I like most like a firm cheek weld, and understand it allows for a more consistent eye position and hold.  However for a design like this a stock modification would be in order to extend the cheek piece where a shooter could utilize its benefits.

This would also benefit shooters who more often than not are shooting from the prone position as it often doesn't allow for a conventional hold on the firearm with manipulating the upper body/neck.

Thanks for the replies guys, it sounds as though what I thought.  
Barnacle Bill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barnacle Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2011 at 19:54
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 09:17
cant is usually more of a problem than cast off or cast on. This particularly true of trap and skeet shooting shotguns. cast off and on can be easily solved with cheek risers, while cant needs a pad similar to ones use on Sako trgs as an example that are fully adjustable.  High head position weapons like ars rarely need cast adjustment.
during the firing sequence, if you are behind the rifle you should see either the flash or smoke and watch the bullet strike, I find it hard to believe this would be possible with an off set scope
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 09:22
They dont make them for civilian guns because they are butt ugly. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 09:23
Why did I not think of this first????

It sounds like great idea.

I suppose though having your eye and axis of the barrel on the same line must help with natural point of aim and therefore more accurate and quicker target aquisition,
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 12:20
Yes, having a scope directly in-line with bore would aid in fast target acquisition.  I think this design would be better suited for bench or possibly tactical situations.  When I was in the military there was a time I really didn't want to lift my head and put it right up in "view" behind the scope, while the spotter could lay beneath the wall edge and view everything moving.  I thought "you know, if a manufacturer made a rifle scope of similar design as a  spotting scope, I could have the ocular lens adjusted and snugged down at the 7' O'clock position and not have my head out in the breeze."  This is aside from any possible ergonomic values such a design might have.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 12:40
currently there are several weapon platforms that digital camera set ups for you "to shoot around corners".
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 14:52
And then there are submarines which have been doing it for years.

and UAV's where its all radio controlled.

There are some digital systems with the viewere on the helment and the camera scope on the rifle.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic