OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold are Overrated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwarvoMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold are Overrated
    Posted: February/05/2006 at 17:37

First of all I work at Cabela's the Worlds foremost outfitter.

After extensive testing, with the asstiance from my optical staff, We have conclude that Leupold are far overrated and your better off buying a Nikon, or Burris for less money.

As Far as the highend goes Swarvoski is by far the best then comes Zeiss, Leica, and Meopta.

Leupold is still a big name and has a lot of good history, but their optics are not what they are hyped up to be.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2006 at 19:25
could you be more detailed? your credentials don't impress me a bit. perhaps your lab test will, I hope they are more better than your syntax and sentence structure. sounds like another Xotic post.

Edited by Dale Clifford
c.j. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2006 at 21:58
 its his opinion Dale, and to attack a man on his syntax and sentence structure. you should be a "more better"person than that.
c.j.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2006 at 22:46

I find it strange that we mention Leica since they never really made a scope.  I not a huge fan of Leupold, but I will tell you that they are a first class scope.  I just think they are overpriced for what you get.  I really question how anyone can say that a Swarovski is by far the best.  When you get into the higher-end stuff, ther is no such thing as "by far the best".  The high end stuff is all very close and it boils down to what you like the best.  No offense, but I have not been impressed with the optics staff at the two Cabela's that I have been to.  Your remarks here make me think that the level of knowledge is universal in your organization.

ranburr 

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2006 at 08:04
You know, some times its fun just to right a post for fun and get people stired up.  Like saying Swarvoski is better than Ziess or that Leopold is overrated.  Thats like saying you cant hunt if you dont ware camoflag or you have to carry a certain kind of rifel to shoot dear or bare.  or that you're barell has to be staneless steal.  One thing I do no, Id never do a post with out cheking my spellling and grammer, 
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2006 at 09:20
No it is not just opinion -the writer used an arguement from authority- I work at god's therefore I can quote god. Similar logistical fallacies that exist in this forum are the use of testimonials without at least a good arguement or some type of physical evidence. Even to say one has a Ph.D in wave mechanics doesn't make them an authority on all aspects of physics. To make a broad across the board unqualifed statement as this post -well-But then it's like mwyates said -some people like to troll.
hignasty View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hignasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2006 at 17:02
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

You know, some times its fun just to right a post for fun and get people stired up.  Like saying Swarvoski is better than Ziess or that Leopold is overrated.  Thats like saying you cant hunt if you dont ware camoflag or you have to carry a certain kind of rifel to shoot dear or bare.  or that you're barell has to be staneless steal.  One thing I do no, Id never do a post with out cheking my spellling and grammer, 

I know funny, and that is funny!
my cats breath smells like cat food
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2006 at 17:12
Originally posted by SwarvoMI SwarvoMI wrote:

As Far as the highend goes Swarvoski is by far the best....

SwarvoMI,

Which I assume you meant to be a contraction of Swarovski and Michigan.  Swar ov ski  not Swar vo ski.

One of the quickest ways to know that someone does not know what they are talking about is if they can't even pronounce it.

Leeca, Zeus, Zees, Skakorski, etc.

Welcome to the OT Kyle, stick around and learn some stuff.  First thing you will learn is that this is a tough crowd that is not easily B.S.'d.

After you've been here a while you'll be able to go to work and say,

"First of all I am a member of OPTICSTALK.

After extensive posting and reading, and with the assistance from my optical friends, We have conclude..........."

Edited by Chris
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2006 at 09:32

I think the original poster was voicing their opinion.  I don't think he or they were trying to claim to be an optics expert.  Atleast that is how the paragraph came across when I read it.  I think by saying that they worked at Cabela's they were stating that they handle a lot of scopes, does that make them an expert?  NO, its  just an opinion.

Personally, I have to agree with his statement.  I don't think there is anything wrong with Leupold but you can do better or achieve the same optical quality for less money.  If that offends the Gold Ring fans so be it.  Lastly, before we start personal attacks on someone's grammar be sure yours is correct.  (example: sentences start with capital letters and there is no such thing as "more better".

Edited by Acenturian
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2006 at 15:05

So many nice answers for so much BS.

By the way, i worked at NASA. Does that make me a rocket scientist?

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2006 at 17:31
No it makes you an employee of NASA.   On the other hand do you have an opinion of the space program?

- Anonymous

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2006 at 21:10

It is a three part syllogism starting with a premise, if A is true , and B is a subset of A then C follows from A. All syllogism that are not true are opinions.

no such thing as more better- ya think?

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2006 at 11:09

Oh this is getting interesting So if we take the syllogism mentioned above then by definition it would be as follows:

(A) Major Premise - Works at Cabelas

(B) Minor Premise - Expert in optics

Therefore the (C) conclusion is everyone that works at Cabelas is an optics expert?

You see that is the problem with trying to work with absolute definitions.  Let's take Leupolds add here on the forum

"Leupold America's Optical Authority"

The minor premise in that statement is that for America Leupold makes the best optics.

The conclusion is that since Leupold is the only optical authority in America,  they make the best so if you want the best you should buy Leupold.  Wow shopping for my next scope sure got easy. 

Im just curious Dale do you agree with his statement that there are better scopes out there for less money?

Edited by Acenturian

- Anonymous

Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2006 at 11:48

C'mon guys......This is really getting ugly.

I think maybe this guy made his post just to piss people off. He's never made another post on this thread.

Common-sense should tell us to ignore someone who makes a post of this nature.

"Can't we all just get along?"

Edited by Stud Duck
upcreek2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upcreek2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2006 at 19:31
This thread sure got off track. Are leupold's over priced for what you get? Are they over rated?
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2006 at 21:04

That is my point, that the post was basically one guys opinion.  The guy may have been trolling or he may have just posted what his view was and then because people disagree with him he is verbally bashed for his english skills.  If the guy was not trolling the responses didn't seem too inviting for returning to the forums.  

Back to the actual question at hand, yes Leupolds are over priced for what you get.  I don't think they are over rated because they are a good scope if they would lower their prices a bit.  I base this on my EXPERT opinion  which is based on years of hunting with scopes and more importantly I stayed at a Holiday Inn once LOL

- Anonymous

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2006 at 10:31
Swavomi, welcome to the forum and don't let folks discourage you. If you read some previous posts you would quickly know what I am referring to, myself included. I don't know what some do for a living, but I would bet the ranch that it is not an English professor. I think that your observations are valid. There will always be people out there feeding their own ego's. Again, wecome to the forum.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2006 at 20:47

Roy I didn't know you cared so much. Guess that puts me in the catagory of most lawyers-depending on what one's opinion of lawyers happens to be of course. Logic is taught as a subject in Philosophy, Math, and Computer Science you'll find very little of it in the English dept. (not that it's good or bad).

Acenturian, your arguement leads to a reducto absurdim (but you knew that). Both swaros and yours starts with a false arguement from authority as well as your analogy using a quote from Leo(other types may be slippery slope, which is your second premise, or domino etc.) also both yours and swaro second arguement are non-humean. (the last 100 people entering this forum can read therefore the next one entering the forum can read-we work at cabala therefore myself and company conclude-your minor premise- no way to prove either nor predict the future event). No one said anything about any of Leo's claim being true. I have no idea whether Leo's are over priced, I seem to find plenty of used ones a bargin basement prices, but Swaro' is undoubtably overpriced.

SwarvoMI View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwarvoMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2006 at 01:27

I guess it is unfair of me to say that Leupold are overrated. I think they are good optics just very overpriced.

I'm sorry if I affended anyone.

PS, guys correcting someone on their grammer and spelling come on. It's not like we are still in high shcool or anything.

SavageShooters View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SavageShooters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2006 at 17:29
I'm still waiting to hear how you came about this determination SwarvoMI.  How did you test for resolution?  How did you test for contrast?  How did you test for light transmission?  How did you test the accuracy and repeatability of the mechanicals?

I'm not much of a Leupold fan myself and agree with the opinion that they're overpriced for what you get, but if you're going to make statements like that you best be preparred to back it up with hard factual data gained from known testing methods.  Considering the fact I can't see Cabela's spending $25-50k to buy the equipment necessary to properly test resolution alone, I can only conclude you're "evaluations" were very crude at best.
SavageShooters
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic