OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Silencers and mirage..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silencers and mirage..
    Posted: November/14/2011 at 00:41
I am considering using a silencer on my 6mmAI in order to reduce recoil. I need to shoot a string of 5 shots in 90 sec.

Apparently heat from the silencer causes bad mirage after the third shot.

What are some real life experiences out there???
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2011 at 06:44
Got a cover for my suppressor from Rifles Only, shields the heat.  I don't shoot long distance, but with the cover a 10-shot group about 10-15 seconds apart didn't bring about mirage that was noticeable through the scope.  I'd noticed the heat/mirage through the scope after several shots before I got the cover, but it didn't cause a problem at the 100 and 200 yds targets I was shooting at.  Not sure you'd need it for what you're talking about, but they're not expensive, so seeing if it helps wouldn't cost very much.  I have no connection to Rifles Only, I just try to keep my business in Texas when I can.  I'm sure there are other places that make good covers, too.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2011 at 08:09
Thanks for feedback. We shoot out to 380yds or so. The targets are 8 inch gongs and some paper targets. One guy I spoke to said that after the third shot he struggled to see the gong.
We use magifications of around 20-25X.

The shield idea sounds good and I will give that a go when I am up and ready (waiting for my rig)
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2011 at 13:41
With a good cover you'd never see any mirage 8's, at least not in what your describing.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2016 at 09:57
They make bands and shrouds for suppressors and barrels.

5 years later glad to offer a response.

How did you end up dealing with the heat?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic