OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is this worth it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this worth it?
    Posted: November/10/2011 at 18:23
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/52509-1.html#Reviews

I was told by a good friend that if I bought Lee that I'd end up buying Redding later on. Reloading three things next year, 300win mag, 40 s&w, and .308. Worth it? I truly only need the press, and I saw this kit, over a Redding Big Boss II single stage press by itself. Input?
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2011 at 07:56

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2011 at 07:59
With rifle cartridges you have to trim the case.  A progressive press is a fine thing for pistol cartridges with straight walls that can use carbide resizing dies but I dont think its a huge advantage with rifle cartridges.  how you wiegh the powder charge will determine how fast you make bullets.  Length of the over all cartridge is important.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - November/11/2011 at 08:05

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2011 at 08:21
When it comes to presses I bought a RCBS Rock Chucker  in 1975 - buy once - cry once; get the sturdy one.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Crosswire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crosswire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2011 at 09:53

"Is this (Lee Challenger Breach lock press) worth it?"

Certainly so, or Lee wouldn't be selling thousands of them each year.  I've been reloading for a long time and have six presses from four makers and they all work fine.  I  have no blind brand loyalty or animosity to inanimage objects, I choose tools strickly by the uses I will put each one to.  That said, all of the cartridges you list are easy to work with except,  possibly, FL sizing the .300 mag. and, even with it, proper case lubing will allow you to do anything you need done.   However, I find Lee (and Hornady) 'quick change' die systems to be pointless and costly for no real purpose. 

There is NO reason to use wrenches or pliers to install dies; hand tight is plenty and that's why so many dies come with knurled lock rings rather than hex rings.   I can swap screwed in dies in about 35-45 seconds, so it takes me about a minute to a minute and a half to change two-three dies for a full session.  Even if those bushings were instantaneous swaps that wouldn't "save" enough time to improve my life style in a normal hour or two of reloading! ??

All our makers produce excellant reloading tools but it's wise to make purchases based on the way you will need to use things but if I suggested you buy my choices you wiould be buying for me and our needs may be radically different.   And some of what I use would be different if I started over next week anyway, especially my presses!  A beginner's needs are no less stringent than an old hands but they are often quite different.  Old hands tend to be into a bit more than basic ammo production.  I mean, IF you plan to load modest quanities with conventional components that press will do you for a lifetime but IF you plan to do widlcates with major case reforming you will need an all iron/steel press instead.  Or, IF you plan to load hundreds of rounds of one kind all in one sitting you will need a progressive press or at least an auto-indexing turret press.  Etc.

My suggestion to anyone loading modest quanities of your cartridges, especially the big magnum, is to consider Lee's Cllassic Cast single stage press; it's all iron/steel and really doesn't cost a lot more than the Challenger press.  The CC is very large, very strong, has a larger diameter ram (longer wearing) than others, the lever is fully adjustable for side/length/angle, it's precisely machined on computer controlled tooling and the spent primer catcher actually works!  IF the CC had been available when I bought my Rock Chucker that's what I would have now, it's really a better press than my RC.

Good luck, and enjoy!
Sam Colt did more to make men equal than any politician ever did.
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2011 at 14:58
I have a Rock Chucker that I've owned for about 15yrs now that is still as solid as the day I bought it.  Its a very solid and capable press, only draw back is that its kinda slow compared to a progressive press.  A buddy of mine has a Dillon XL 650 that is sweet and can really churn out some ammo.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic