OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Vari-X III

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 33shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold Vari-X III
    Posted: November/10/2011 at 13:18
Does anyone know what Vari-X III scopes came with the 4.5-14x and with a mil-dot reticle?  I have the chance to pick one up soon for cheap.  ($250) but all I know is the above information.  I'm not sure if it's a tactical (would be great if it is) or something else.  Unsure if it's 40mm or 50mm.  I'll know more in a few days, but figured I would ask here.  I know it's in good shape, the guy who has it takes care of his stuff.  I'll get to see it in a week, and I'll know more about it in a few days. 

Let's assume it's just a regular gold ring 4.5-14x with capped turrets.  I know I can have the custom shop install M1 turrets, and illumination.  Do you think these upgrades are worth it? 

This will go on a 18" LaRue OBR
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2011 at 15:32
If it is a tactical, they came in both 40 and 50mm with mil-dot.
I don't think they can add illumination, though.
Doug
33shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 33shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2011 at 15:36
I spoke to leupold and was told illumination is possible, but costs $300. Just don't know what scopes were offered with the mil-dot
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2011 at 15:52
Spending $250 on the scope then another $$$ for the custom options makes it not a good deal.  You could simply buy the new VXR and have what your looking for in new better glass and a brand new scope
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2011 at 15:58
That is a lot of money to upgrade the older glass of the Vari-X III. By the time illumination and new reticle are added you're up around $600. Do you have to have mil-dot or can can you get by with another illuminated type like a BC? Leupold makes the new VX-R in 4-12 with a few different illuminated reticles. The glass is better than the older model and the illumination is on the turret, not the added knob on the ocular housing.
There is also a VX-R tactical with illuminated mil-dot. But it is a 3-9....$599

Edited by tahqua - November/10/2011 at 16:02
Doug
33shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 33shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2011 at 16:23
I'll have to see if it already has the turrets. I can probably get by without the illumination.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2011 at 16:27
Your still talking more investment that that scope will be worth.  Just a heads up.  The glass in the older leupolds has always been "lacking" to comparable scopes the new VXR line is the step in the right direction for many folks that had turned away from leupold for the very reason I just mentioned.  not saying that scope is a turd but the old saying "polish a turd and its still a turd" applies here.  Don't spend a lot making the scope better when the glass will prohibit it from being more than it can be........... that make sense?
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2011 at 22:56
I bought this here so far could not be happier.
http://swfa.com/Leupold-45-14x40-VX-3-Riflescope-P12682.aspx
33shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 33shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2011 at 11:30
So far, I know it's a Vari-X III 4.5-14x50mm Mil-Dot.  I think this is going to be the LRT, basically the predecessor to the MK4 (not the same scope though)  I'll find out tomorrow if it's the M1 version.  If it is, I think It is exactly what I was looking for. 

Thanks, I understand it has some lacking features, but that shouldn't affect my needs for some time.  When it does, I should have enough saved up for a NF 3.5-15 
ArtP View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2011 at 12:15
I guess I'll be the minority here and say the Vari-X III glass IS very good.  I have owned two and still own one in 2-8x36.  It's hard for me to tell the difference in glass quality between the 2-8 and my Zeiss Conquest in 3-9.  I'll also say the Vari-X III has better glass than the Vortex Viper I bought, by a wider margin than the Zeiss vs. Leupold.

With the serial number you can find the year of manufacture under FAQ on the Leupold site.  I'll also add if you don't like the scope, I don't think you'd have any trouble selling it for $350 or better.  A fair market value on that scope is probably $400-$475  - perhaps more.
33shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 33shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2011 at 13:14
Good to hear about the difference between it and the Viper, that was what I planned on buying before I came across this.
33shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 33shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2011 at 13:32
I am hoping leupold makes a VXR 1-6x patrol. The 1.25-4 is a nice scope, and the vx-6 1-6 is nice, I just want them combined. I'm planning on running this gun in tac-heavy for 3 gun and the smaller scope will be nice. I like the VXR series, thank you for pointing them out. Leupold looks to be stepping up and making some neat stuff.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2011 at 22:31
I looked through a Zeiss Conquest in 3-9 today, while clear I don't see where it has anything over the average leupold VX-3. It seemed to me no better no worse.
ArtP View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2011 at 22:41
It does have a thicker reticle which could make a big difference in low light and it is a tad brighter.  To be quite honest, when I received my ZC I wasn't as impressed as all the hype would have suggested.  It's a very fine scope, don't get me wrong, but I think I let my expectations get out of hand.  I can't think of a scope for $400 or less with better glass - the VX3's cost more.

When all the dust settles, without spending North of $700, the glass on a VX3 is as good as it gets.
33shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 33shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2011 at 23:22
Turns out I got a good deal. It's a Black ring Vari-X III 4.5-14x50mm LR with target turrets, side focus and the oval mil-dot reticle. Came with butler flip covers and perfect glass. It has a 30mm tube that has a few ring marks but overall it's great. Great deal for $250
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2011 at 09:18
That is definitely a great deal, good for you.
Doug
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic