OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Just watched my first video on how to reload.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just watched my first video on how to reload.
    Posted: November/10/2011 at 07:10
I thought it was going to be hard! Granted the guy had quite a bit of equipment, it was fairly easy. Lube, re-size, deburr, trim, seat primer, load powder, press bullet. Just like that! I really thought it was going to be fairly tough. I do know that all the math and finding the right load is a trial-by-fire (good play on words), but other than that, I'm really excited to get after it!
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2011 at 07:35

You can make it as complicated as you want or KISS.  LOL
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2011 at 07:36
My advise is start with quality products and quality components
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2011 at 07:42
Yeah I bought some equipment from Brandon, I'm just waiting until my after Christmas funds are back up, then getting a press and a few other small things, not to mention the great powder and primers you guys recommended.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2011 at 07:58
I may have a 300 win mag die set that I'm not using.  I'll check and let you know.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2011 at 09:17
what are you loading for?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2011 at 11:07
Really, reloading is very easy.  Most important thing is to just double and triple check everything for safety purposes.  Then keep good logs of what you are doing.  They can save a lot of time.

Brass prep is the most complicated and time consuming thing.  Depending upon how far you want to go with it.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2011 at 12:48
Your off to a good start by educating yourself. Start of slow, double check your work and enjoy the satisfaction of reloading your own ammo.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2011 at 12:53
That would be awesome Graham! Are dies interchangeable with presses? Like do you have to have the same brand?

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2011 at 13:13
most are all interchangable
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2011 at 14:10
good deal.

Texray View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Texray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2011 at 08:23
I've been reloading for almost forty years and know that you can reload economically or you can spend a lot of money on it. Notice I didn't say "cheaply." You can do that also but I have never regretted buying quality equipment. Quality equipment does not have to be expensive. Do your shopping and comparing before plunking down your cash. Good dies can be purchashed with the shell holder for that caliber not as an extra item to buy. One of the best "buys" I have ever made was a $10 Lee priming tool early in my reloading career. Still got it, still use it. Infinitely adustable and would never think of reloading without it. I buy a lot of Lee dies also. I don't work for Lee by the way and really don't care much for their presses. Go slow and be safe.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2011 at 08:33
I use mostly Redding dies and RCBS dies. I use a single stage press but I have found that a electric case trimmer is a nice thing to have if you load for rifles.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic