OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Reloaders???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reloaders???
    Posted: February/04/2006 at 08:17

How many folks on OT are reloaders??

I have been reloading for the past 6 years. Glad I got into it.

Anybody got links to GOOD reloading sites?? 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2006 at 23:35
I've been reloading for about as long.

As for good links, there is a lot of information out there, but since there are a lot of adventerous people out there, I would still cross check with a couple of good manulas from bullet/powder manufacturers.

I tend to use either Hodgdon or Vihtavuori powders, so I use their information quite a bit.

www.hodgdon.com and the yearly reloading manual that's currently on the shelves (it is more complete than the website)..

Vihtavuori reloading guide is available for free at www.lapua.com

Also www.loaddata.com has LOT of stuff, but you have to sign up.

www.accuratereloading.com is valuable, but those guys are riskier than I am.

If you search for a few minutes you'll find a lot of more specialized websites targeting particular cartridges and/or weapons.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2006 at 04:46

http://www.reloadersnest.com/

Here's a good site too.

And yes, as koshkin stated, always cross reference the data on these sites with an approved reloading manual.

My optimal loads always seem to be less than the "max load" anyway.

Edited by cheaptrick
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2006 at 09:13
This topic is a good area to illustrate why it is impossible to say why a Conquest, or Leo is a better scope than so and so regardless of a group of isolated physical properties of that particular product. Even with the best scope it assumes that the best shooting combinations have been made with that rifle or gun. Do to the subjective nature of twilight and early morning hunting it is hard to hold enough of the variables constant to get a reliable conclusion that hold in all causes. In comes reloading- there is no doubt that turning the necks and fireforming will make more accurate loads. There is no doubt that powder packing density makes a difference etc. These are known variables one can work with. I suggest two completely uniform tests that can be applied to all scopes. First the time test, use what ever scope gun combination you have, set up a course of fire shoot the course count the hits then divide it by the time it takes to run the course. Put on the new scope and if it's that great the hit factor will show it. Do it in different light settings. The second test- THE AIRPORT TEST. Stories go on how a ding occurs at a 2 ft drop- that's nothing. Set your rifle and scope up and center it, fire a test group, pack it up, and sent it to New York and back. On returning see the scope still works, let alone centered. Anything that is still functional is the best scope regardless of brand name etc. Anyway I think Cheaptrick has introduced a new variable that should be discussed along with scopes, unless the loads are maximized comparison talk about scopes is just talk.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2006 at 09:26

Thanks Dale.

Do you mean literal "max loads" or optimal loads?? (Accuracy) 

I like accuracy over speed.

I wonder if there would be any interest in asking Chris to add a Reloading Forum to mix here at OT?

dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2006 at 16:55

I reload for 300 WM, 7mm WTHBY MAG, 7.62, .45, & .44 mag,

I play around until I find a load each gun likes them pretty much just stick with it.

I use a old single stage rock crusher press, load powder & primers by hand. Its not the most efficient way but I get by.

Joe

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2006 at 09:26
No I mean optimal, max loads are rarely the most accurate, and when they are more of a fluck. I think we will just have to use the anything goes entry to discuss reloading. It is difficult for non reloaders to understand that choice of scopes is secondary until more important aspects of the entire process is addressed.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2006 at 10:07

I've been reloading about 30 years.  I do it mostly because I enjoy it; it's rare that I'll spend a ton of time working up the "optimal load".  I just find something that shoots good and go with it.  When I used to shoot a lot of 22-250 I spent considerable time in load development trying to shrink groups from 3/4" to 1/2".  I don't do that anymore.

I reload about 15 rifle and pistol calibers, but mostly .260 Remington, .45 Colt heavy loads, .357 Mag, .38 Special, and .45-70.

I think www.loaddata.com is worth the small fee they charge.  You can spend a couple of hundred dollars on manuals (I have) and most of that data is available on loaddata.  Of all the manuals I have, I prefer the Sierra.  It's got a lot of useful info that's not included in the others.

Edited by mwyates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2006 at 04:02
Originally posted by dilligaf dilligaf wrote:

I play around until I find a load each gun likes them pretty much just stick with it.

I use a old single stage rock crusher press, load powder & primers by hand. Its not the most efficient way but I get by.

Joe

Me too, Joe.

But I don't even have a Rock Crusher, just a RCBS "Special 5" as my press.

It works great.

Lee Auto Primer, Forster, Lee, RCBS dies.

The only thing I load for now is my Remington .308. 

dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2006 at 17:01
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by dilligaf dilligaf wrote:

Joe

Me too, Joe.

But I don't even have a Rock Crusher, just a RCBS "Special 5" as my press.

It works great.

Lee Auto Primer, Forster, Lee, RCBS dies.

The only thing I load for now is my Remington .308. 

I got the rock crusher at a garage sale for $10 in like 1989 or 1990. Too good of a price to pass up.

Back when I shot two or three times a week I almost bought a progressive (mainly for .45 and 7.62). But now it takes me all day to shoot up 50 300 WM and 100 .45 rounds. 

I hate to admit it but the .22 is becoming one of my favorite rifles to shoot. Its mainly the fact I'm shooting and competing with my kids & just plain having a ball when we shoot them.

Joe

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2006 at 09:55
Check out Oehler's web site- they have a demo you can play with showing pressure curves.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2006 at 16:04

Cheaptrick, are you looking for load data for specific cartridges????

www.loaddata.com is pretty good, however like Dale stated max. loads are rarely the most accurate and accuracy should be you most important objective.

also- www.benchrest.com has data on way out wildcats.

when I go to Canada,I will use magnum primers in standard rounds like my 30/06 and my 280 Ackley. You should decrease your powder charges a least  2grs. in this family of cartridges to compensate for the mag. primer.

Edited by Roy Finn
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2006 at 16:22
I've never had a problem with standard primers even in big mags and -40 weather. In fact, I usually get better accuracy with standard primers in mag cases so I rarely use mag primers at all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2006 at 16:23
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Cheaptrick, are you looking for load data for specific cartridges????

No Sir, just wanted to see a "show of hands" of the reloaders we have here is all.

Yeah, I rarely get even close to max loads on my stuff. Some buddies of mine are all about the speed, but I like accuracy.

SUB MOA ACCURACY!!! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2006 at 16:24

Originally posted by Riflman Riflman wrote:

I've never had a problem with standard primers even in big mags and -40 weather. In fact, I usually get better accuracy with standard primers in mag cases so I rarely use mag primers at all.

Me too.

The only time "I thought" mag primers helped was on a .300 Win Mag I loaded for and a .300 RUM I loaded for.

Izzman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Izzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2006 at 19:50

I load .223 a bunch for prairie dog and coyote hunting.

I mainly stick with Hodgdon powders and Hornady bullets.

I use moly-coated bullets in all my guns, keeps copper fouling to a minimum, the disadvantage is after cleaning, the first 2 or 3 shots shoot higher because the barrel isn't primed with the moly. 

I use A-Max for target, V-max for hunting varmints, and I use Barnes XLC and Sierra GameKing for big game hunting.

Watching a V-Max turn a prairie dog into an exploding mess of fur, guts, and fine red mist is one of the finer things in life.... Not for the weak stomached though.    

check out the demo videos at  www.dogbegone.com 

They'll either make you laugh, or cry..  no PETA members allowed....LOL....

Gutless in Montana is my personal favorite...

Edited by Izzman
Roll heavy, all the Time....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic