OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Fury 6.2x32 vs Diamondback 7x36

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fury 6.2x32 vs Diamondback 7x36
    Posted: November/07/2011 at 21:49
I just bought 2 pr of the Vortex Diamondbacks 7x36 on closeout from SWFA.  I'm quite impressed for the $129 sale price.  Considered getting more (never know where ya might wish one was stashed)

However, the recent thread:
talked up the Fury 6.5x32 in a few posts (even copmared it to the Vipers) and apparently close out pricing is similar to the DB.

Is the Fury going to be much better than the DB?  I can't imagine the 0.5 extra magnification will be that noticable?

Is it a good assumption that they will be similar with the larger objective being on the lesser quality glass?

Actually, as I do the calculation, the exit pupils are quite similar:
DB 36/7 = 5.14
Fury 32/6.5 = 4.92

So if the DB is a great buy at $129, the Fury must be a super great buy??

I might just have to buy a Fury to find out, but any opinions here?

Thanks
Waldo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 01:27
Gotta admit the Fury is tempting for that dollar, personally I think I'll end up with the Katmai only because they are a tiny bit more compact/lighter but I'm still tempted.
Interseted to read the replies.
Cheers,
Waldo
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 10:12
I have the Fury 6.5 and I have had the 7x36 Diamondback.  The reason I still have the Fury is because it is a better binocular.  The image is brighter and has a more color neutral tint than the Diamondback.  Also, while the listed fov specs are not too much different (445' vs 410' favoring the Fury), the Fury looks wider in actual use.  One thing that is very useful about lesser magnification optics is that the depth of the field that is in focus increases with the decrease in magnification.  In other words the fore and aft definition of the target is better with lower magnification.  While the 0.5x magnification should not effect the depth of field phenomena, the Fury does show a better depth of focus than the Diamondback. 
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic