OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

hunting scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hunting scope
    Posted: November/07/2011 at 15:58
ive about had it with my p.o.s. Tasco 5x20/50 i put on my rifle. I know dont yell at me, but my dad had it sitting around and i just threw it on there. Well, I missed a chance at a once in a life time buck this weekend, so im looking around now. so basically, deer/pig hunting, 3+/variable power, 50mm with no yardage adjust. low light conditions a must, and if possible a fine reticle. not a whole lot of money to spend on it right now, so hoping for something around 250 dollar range ( i know that limits me). a friend of mine was telling me about vortex optics. and secondly, where is a good place to research on price, ive been checking cheaperthandirt.  thanks, i know this is a premature post, but figured id get it started while i read all the others.
31 bertram View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 31 bertram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2011 at 18:11
I've been using a Burris FF II 3x9x40 for the past 10 or 15 years.  there's some better and some worse.  I like the standard plex for my aging eyes during low light.  This scope has been tougher than nails.  I bought my second one here from Chris, it was another gloss closeout 3x9x40 for $119.95, I figured  for that price I would keep as a spare.
I knew it was time to get rid of the Tasco when I could see the deer better without the scope, he he.
31 bertram
phillip View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2011 at 18:46
yeah, i had to watch it in my bino's since i couldnt do anything with the scope. how much more light will a 56mm let in compared to a 50mm? anyone know that one?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2011 at 19:29
How much light they transmit has to do with what magnification you have it on vs the objective size. 

at 9x a 42mm scope will allows 4.6mm of exit pupil.
at 9x on a 50mm scope 5.55mm
a 56mm scope 6.2mm

You find the exit pupil by dividing the objective size by the magnification.  The max size that a human pupil will dilate to for a young healthy person is about 7mm.  So for low light it is best to have a scope that will offer you 6 to 7mm of exit pupil on the magnification you plan to use.

with 3-9x scope I am a big fan of 42mm objectives.  Once you get past about 12x I like to go to 50mm objectives.  I would not be a fan of any larger than that because they require you to mount the scope very high on the rifle.

But the other huge factor is the quality of the glass and the coatings.  A crap scope that has a 56mm objective will not automatically be brighrer than a small objective scope that has great glass. 

Also cheap scopes with high magnifications is also not a good thing.  In your price range I would stay with a 3-9x scope.  It will offer you the best performance for your money.  For $250 you will be able to get a very good 3-9x scope.

Bushnell Elite, Vortex Viper, Sightron S2 and Big Sky, those are all some to take a look at that will be close to your price range.

Edited by supertool73 - November/07/2011 at 19:32
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2011 at 23:02
Originally posted by phillip phillip wrote:

low light conditions a must, and if possible a fine reticle.

Low light and a fine reticle really do not go together. In low light you will have a very hard if not impossible time trying to see a fine reticle. A heavier duplex would work better and be easier to see in low light.

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2011 at 23:06
Originally posted by phillipand secondly, where is a good place to research on price, ive been checking cheaperthandirt.  thanks, [/QUOTE phillipand secondly, where is a good place to research on price, ive been checking cheaperthandirt.  thanks, [/QUOTE wrote:

Here at SWFA they have a 110% low price guarantee. So no one beats them on price.

Also they are the ones

Here at SWFA they have a 110% low price guarantee. So no one beats them on price.

Also they are the ones who run this site.

Edited by Sparky - November/08/2011 at 17:33
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 16:34
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

... But the other huge factor is the quality of the glass and the coatings.  A crap scope that has a 56mm objective will not automatically be brighrer than a small objective scope that has great glass. 

Also cheap scopes with high magnifications is also not a good thing.  In your price range I would stay with a 3-9x scope.  It will offer you the best performance for your money.  For $250 you will be able to get a very good 3-9x scope.

Bushnell Elite, Vortex Viper, Sightron S2 and Big Sky, those are all some to take a look at that will be close to your price range.

Yup.  50 mm & up objectives don't really start to show their worth over the quality 40 mm scopes that Supertool73 mentions, until you start to spend quite a few bills.  Put your $250 towards one of the scopes listed, & you'll be well pleased.  And I'd also echo the sentiment about going for a heavy duplex if low-light is your thing.

Good Luck,

FC
phillip View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 20:48
well, problem is, im trying to find a scope for all purpose for right now. and i like to drive tacks, and the heavier duplex hides 1 inch circles at 100 yrds. but i guess i just anserwed my own statement in my head, id rather have another chance at that buck, than shoot paper circles. as far as the 40/50mm i wish there was a way to compare them outside together, i need a store with that kind of customer service.

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2011 at 06:11
It's all a trade-off. If paper punching is more important, go that route. If it's hunting (esp. low light applications) put your money there. Some "crossover scopes" may be o.k. for either but not individually perfect. Good luck. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2011 at 06:32
I would +1 what these guys have said. You should be able to upgrade significantly from your tasco for $250 probably less.   I would also point you to the sample list as there are usually some good buys there. I have bought 2-3 scopes from SWAF there and and all have been great. Plus if you buy one of the brands with a good warranty then you risk little. I have found their ratings to be very conservative as in a B scope will look new, and they are good to deal with regarding CS.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic