OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Possible factory defect?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FERRELL SWINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible factory defect?
    Posted: November/07/2011 at 10:06
Just purchased a brand new model 700 and when we tried to mount scope we could not get scope to adjust to bore sighter. tried 5 different scopes and 3 different sets of mounts. Could the pre drilled holes for the scope bases be drilled off set?
FERRELL
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2011 at 10:21
try to shot it in. might be bore sighter is broke. Never know.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
FERRELL SWINE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FERRELL SWINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2011 at 10:26
We tried another bore sighter new out of the box.
FERRELL
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2011 at 10:30
What kind of rings and bases are you using?
Could they be the windage adjustable bases perharps?
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2011 at 10:31
It's very possible that the holes are misaligned or drilled improperly. It happens more frequently than one would think. You had better contact the gun shop where it was purchased (or possibly even Remington). Likely your best bet is to have the gun shop contact Remington directly.

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
FERRELL SWINE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FERRELL SWINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2011 at 10:55
I started out with Leaupold bases and rings,then tried red field, weaver and quick site.
Its not the bases or rings, nor is it the scopes or bore sighter. I'm thinking holes drilled improper or worst case sernerio barrel bent which is highly unlikley. I have contacted Remington for a return. I just hate it because it was a gift for my 13 year old. Guess he will have to keep shooting his .243 or borrow one of may others.
FERRELL
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2011 at 15:17
you need to shoot it before you make conclusions.  a boresighter isn't a conclusive devise to saying its messed up.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - November/07/2011 at 15:17
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2011 at 15:25

+1

BUT Remington was having some Q/C issues not too long ago.  Whether they've gotten it together or not......?   Could be you got a dud.

Edited by 300S&W - November/07/2011 at 15:27
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
J-L View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 08:23
I have a new Rem 700 SPS that came with a stripped scope base hole. I noticed even before I mounted anything that the second filler screw was sticking up 1/8". I just cleaned the threads and went on with mounting the scope, but I don't believe the old Remington would let something like that out the door. On the positive side, the rifle shoots great. I wouldn't hold it past them to let yours out the door with another problem.
michael l View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 08:42
I purchased a savage a few years back that had the same problem.The screw holes for the scope mounts were a fraction off.But its a easy fix just take rifle back and exchange it.
michael hudson
31 bertram View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 31 bertram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 19:26
You may have to shim the mounts.
31 bertram
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2011 at 11:27
I has same problem 18 months ago with a savage 12 spent nearly 10 months trying to correct
problem  someone told me possible warped receiver I returned to savage and they replaced barrel and did not elaborate on how the barrel was at fault,they returned gun in 4 weeks I mounted scope and using laser to adjust scope I  was shooting .600 groups within in minutes.

IMO lot of quality control issues with many products today, don't waste time with shimming return
it.
lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2011 at 22:01

All you have to do is check to see if this rifle was made in a Remington factory now located in a low-wage/low skill, Southern "right-to-work" state. If it was, that's the problem. Send it back.

Johnny View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2011 at 22:18
No defective mass produced rifles ever came out of a union shop????Yippee
Black Bear Road
JimIslander View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIslander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2011 at 07:41
Originally posted by lewwetzel lewwetzel wrote:

All you have to do is check to see if this rifle was made in a Remington factory now located in a low-wage/low skill, Southern "right-to-work" state. If it was, that's the problem. Send it back.

Hmmm, don't see you flying in one of our beautiful new Boeing 787s.
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2011 at 20:46
Boeing BTW, is moving the 787 to South Carolina!
CDR3
31 bertram View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 31 bertram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2011 at 21:21

GM....General Motors 

31 bertram
JimIslander View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIslander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2011 at 22:09
Originally posted by Oldtrader3 Oldtrader3 wrote:

Boeing BTW, is moving the 787 to South Carolina!

Yep. That was my point. 

From Charleston,  Howdy
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2011 at 23:54
Originally posted by Johnny Johnny wrote:

Don't let 8shots see what you said. He will bite your head off with the problems that came out of the old shop. His Remington rifle came with an improperly bored chamber. Loco

Edited by 3_tens - November/20/2011 at 23:59
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2011 at 00:33
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Originally posted by Johnny Johnny wrote:

Don't let 8shots see what you said. He will bite your head off with the problems that came out of the old shop. His Remington rifle came with an improperly bored chamber. Loco

Yes, I can tell you athing or two about the "most accurate factory rifle". Too a bit of pressure, but Rem came through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic