OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is Redfiled Revolution 3x9x40 a Decent Scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Redfiled Revolution 3x9x40 a Decent Scope?
    Posted: November/11/2011 at 15:34
I use Burris Signature Zee rings for most of my rifles they come with standard inserts not necessary
to purchase the "insert" kit unless your set up requires shimming.
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2011 at 21:48
I've never needed offset inserts. Unless your holes are drilled off center I doubt you will either. I'd try it without the offset inserts first. 
Newaygo1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newaygo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2011 at 20:07
Well current I have three rifles with scopes on them

A Remington Model 78 30.06 with a H&S Replacement Synthetic Stock and a  Williams 3x9x40 Twilight the best Scope I have so far but it is no longer crisp / clear so I am looking to replace it,

Remington #2 700 BDL 30.06 w/ Stainless Steel 24 inch barrel with the Original Burris Fullfield with Pos Loc System 3x9x40 and a H&S Replacement Systhetic Stock

Knight Disc Elite 50cal. Stainless w/ a Simmons 3.5 x10 x 44mm.

Of these three the Williams had the best low light seeing capability of the 3 but it is old now 20 Plus Years and the overall view is hazing. So that was why I was asking . I like the Burris just wished it had a 42mm obective I guess the Williams is closer to a 42 mm from what I am told because it measures 1.75 diameter while the Burris is 1 7/16 diameter.

I am now down to scopes the Redfield Revolution and the Burris both 3x9x40mm looked at the Burris 4.5 x14 x42mm but just don't have the $ to but one.

I am also looking at the Burris TU Bases 410293, Medium Pos-Align Rings 420501's which I thought came with "standard" Inserts  but they suggest also buying offset inserts 626019. Do I need offset Inserts? And if so what ones, they have different ones ,005, .010 & ,020. The 626019 is a kit of all three but how do you know if you need them if the rings now don't come with a standard set of inserts. When I set up my 700 BDL I just used the standard set that came with the rings but it sounds like the Rings no longer come with a set or they are suggesting that you need the different kit of offsets   but not being a gunsmith how can you know if you require an offset and how do you know how much of an offset? Since the rifle I am planning on putting these Bases, Rings and Scope on, did not need any shims or any kind of offset with the older Williams Scope nor did my 700 BDL. So will I need the insert kit? and does the Rings come with a set of standard inserts? Just trying to buy everything I need and not buy something I won't use or need to return? Any info on the rings etc would be helpful.

Thanks,
Newaygo1
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2011 at 14:17
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I have to agree, if you weren't happy with the view of FFII you probably won't be any happier with the Redfield.  Time to look at scopes in the $400 range or except what is available in the $200 range.
+2, the Burris FFII is a much better scope all the way around, so if you don't like it, you won't like the Redfield. That said, I've also never been thrilled with any Bushnell product I've ever had. I've never had one fail, but I've never been completely happy with them. Everyone I've ever had other than a fixed 10x tactical model has tracked horribly, but they do have good glass and seem to hold zero once set.
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2011 at 13:21
I have a redfield 2-7x35 it is an excellent scope mounted on a mini-30 very clear glass edge to
edge good eye relief once zeroed I've never touched it and continues to hold zero/

Would not hesitate to purchase another.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2011 at 12:48
I have to agree, if you weren't happy with the view of FFII you probably won't be any happier with the Redfield.  Time to look at scopes in the $400 range or except what is available in the $200 range.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
31 bertram View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 31 bertram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2011 at 12:32
I would think that if you did'nt like the Burris or Bushnell, I doudt very seriously you'll like the Redfield.  They are very good scopes and pretty much in the same category. 
You're not gonna see a noticable difference until you move up in money to about the $400 range which will get you a 3x9x40 Conquest. 
31 bertram
Seamaster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seamaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2011 at 14:16
I went range with my friend who has redfield 2-7x33 on his .22. At 100 yard it is decent scope. Difference start to show beyound 100 yard. Hard to see target at 300 yard vs Mionx I had that day. 
Bushnell 4200 Elite Tactical 3-12x44 Mildot illuminated
Bushnell 4200 1.25-4x24 4A illuminated
Minox ZA5 2-10x40 (sold)
Conquest 3-9x40 with Factory Target Turret
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2011 at 11:44
Originally posted by Newaygo1 Newaygo1 wrote:

Thanks but I have not be satified with any Bushnell I have tried. I had one of these a few years back and it would not fit with the rings I had on another rifle had to return it and also it seem to sit too far back on the gun if I recall. And the rifle had a40 mm on it prior so another should have with medium rings and this one did not.

But thanks I might try a Vortex Diamondback if I can find the extra funds...

Is the Vortex Brand made here or just assembled and the glass made outside the US? Still like the Redfield but now not sure...

Newaygo1 

Diamondbacks and Vipers are made in the Philippines I believe. Crossfires are Chinese. Not sure about the Razors, but likely Japan or the Philippines. Most scope companies build their different scopes lines in different countries, according to the price/quality level they want. Most low end scopes are Chinese, then Philippine built for the mid level, and Japanese or European built for the higher end. Some source the components in one place (Japanese or Eastern European glass) and then build some parts here (tubes, internals) and assemble here. I think that's what Leupold does now.

Newaygo1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newaygo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 13:55
Thanks but I have not be satified with any Bushnell I have tried. I had one of these a few years back and it would not fit with the rings I had on another rifle had to return it and also it seem to sit too far back on the gun if I recall. And the rifle had a40 mm on it prior so another should have with medium rings and this one did not.

But thanks I might try a Vortex Diamondback if I can find the extra funds...

Is the Vortex Brand made here or just assembled and the glass made outside the US? Still like the Redfield but now not sure...

Newaygo1 
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 13:29
Can get an Elite 4200 now 3-9 for 149...plus you could get it matched/beat here.....that would be my buy.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
Newaygo1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newaygo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 13:02
I am not sure what he emant by Contrast from his reviews. If it means not clear as other then I might have to rethink my choice. With being over 50 my eyesight is not what it was so I was hoping to find something I tried an Bushnell Elite a while back and it did not fit the rifle with the mounts I had so I returned it but that was 5 plus years ago. I went with a Burris when the Fullfielkd came along with the pos loc adjustments but was  I disappointed the small objective end thought it was to be 40 it was really only 38 because it fit inside my other 40mm scope. And ofr the cost it was not worth the money so I would not buy another Burris. And with the costs today and most made in China now makes it hard though I did like Simmons they were good but agaiun no made in China hard to know.
Thanks for the link to this review.
Will have to rethink my choices...Looked at Weaver but no info on where they are made that suggests outside the US.

Newaygo1

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 12:29
Doug
Newaygo1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newaygo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 12:22
Looking to replace a Williams Twilight that is no longer clear and was wondering if the Redfiel;d Revolution is a decent scope. And it being in the USA trying to help the US Economy. I have not bought a scope in a long time and seems most are now made in China unless they are higher cost.

Is this a decent low light scope? I am going to replace the other one next year but many are on sale right now so thought I wopuld taken advantage of a lower cost.

Any info good or bad will be welcome.

Thanks,
Newaygo1 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic