OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

8x36 vs 10x36 nikon monarch???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fjworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8x36 vs 10x36 nikon monarch???
    Posted: November/06/2011 at 01:17
Hey guys I'm deciding on buying a binocular and would be mainly using it for deer in Norcal, where the farthest I'll be hunting would be about 200-300 yards.  I don't want to spend a fortune right now as I'm a college student, but I came across some nikon monarch atb that's about 50% off. From all the research I did the 8x is better in every aspect then the 10x except for the fact that the 10x has higher magnification.  So would the 10x36 be good enough (gather light) for hunting from sunrise/sunset or should I go with the 8x?  Also would the 8x be fine out to 300 yards?  Lastly is their another binocular around the price range of 130-150 that is better than the monarch that you guys can recommend?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 09:12
Out of your choices I would say the 8X36 is the way to go, for exit pupil reasons.

8x is plenty of mag for glassing 300 yards, and a lot further.
-Matt
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 12:28
I would look seriously at Zen Ray's ZRS HD in 8x42.  I have these and for the $210 or so they will cost, they offer maybe the best value for money out there.  They will make most $500 glass work pretty hard.  They are really compact for a full sized 42 mm binocular, and are precious little bigger than the majority of the 36mm stuff out there.  Much wider fov and more usable field than any Monarch.

Another equally good choice would be the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD in 8x36.  This is right around $200 and I think Bushnell has a $50 rebate going.  I have looked at these but don't have the use experience with them I do with the ZRS.  These are the best of the Legend Ultra HD as far as I am concerned.  Ditto the ZRS fov comment here.

A fairly new glass I have not seen at all, but from spec sheets looks good is the Pentax DCF CS, right around $210.

There are some very good reviews and comments on Bird Forum about the Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x 32 for a bit less than $200.

I'll get a new model glass in 8x32 for review next week and it should be about what you want as well.  I'll put up a review on it as soon as I can.

Edit to add:  Another glass I have which will also work for your described conditions in the Vortex Fury 6.5x32.  Google around and you can find them for around $130.  These have a very nice, bright image, and a very wide 445' fov.  In close country work you will not notice any shortcoming you might imagine from a 6.5x binocular.  You won't feel you give anything up until you get close to a mile away.

Edited by Klamath - November/06/2011 at 12:35
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 13:22
+1 on the 6.5x32 Vortex Fury, plus with the almost 5mm of eye obj should work good in low light. I had the 8x36 monarch and was not happy with them. I think you can get a lot more for your money these days..... imo
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
fjworld View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fjworld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 22:23
So out of those binos that klamath list the zen rays are the best bang for your buck?  I read a couple of review from both bitterroot and klamath and it seems as though the zrs HD are pretty good at the 200 price range.  Would the vortex fury's magnification be too low for my need such as counting points or just determining if the buck is at least a fork at 200 yard or so?  Lastly If I can get the vortex fury 6.5x32 and nikon monarch 8x36 for the same price of 130 which one is the better bino for my need or should I spend the extra 70 and get the zrs hd?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2011 at 10:55
Originally posted by fjworld fjworld wrote:

So out of those binos that klamath list the zen rays are the best bang for your buck?  I read a couple of review from both bitterroot and klamath and it seems as though the zrs HD are pretty good at the 200 price range.  Would the vortex fury's magnification be too low for my need such as counting points or just determining if the buck is at least a fork at 200 yard or so?  Lastly If I can get the vortex fury 6.5x32 and nikon monarch 8x36 for the same price of 130 which one is the better bino for my need or should I spend the extra 70 and get the zrs hd?
I was just about as clear as I thought I could be about this.  However, your (highlighted by me) comment about mabnification brings up a point.  In optics of any sort the prevailing opinion is "the bigger the better".  That is often a mistake, but it has been hammered into our perceprions by marketers for so long we can't get outside that box.  With this doubt in your head, I'd advise you to go the 8x route.  Couple of reasons.  First is that you will have some nagging doubt when the certain time comes when you will not get the answer to your question and the recommendation for a 6.5x glass won't be blamed.  Also 8x will work just fine for your country.  Also I think most sub 8x users got there by a less than direct route.  What I mean by that is that our first purchases were higher magnification optics, either 8x or 10x.  We were also pretty surprised when we did go 6-7x and saw what we saw.  Personally, when I was living in Red Bluff, CA, my purchase for that country was a Swift Eaglet 7x36 (not recommended here because it is $400).  So at this point I'd advise you to go ZRS HD or Legend Ultra HD in 8x..

I owned a Nikon Monarch 8x42 for a long time.  I'd advise you to get rid of the Monarch notion.  The Monarch is a decent binocular to be sure, but it is not as good as the rest of the stuff in the thread.  Yes, the Fury is better than the Monarch,  Yes, the ZRS is better than the Monarch.  Yes, the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD is better than the Monarch.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic