OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Redfield scopes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upcreek2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Redfield scopes?
    Posted: February/03/2006 at 01:00
 Was  wanting to know if anyone had use the new redfield and if so how does it compare to the vx-iii?
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 07:30

I have no personal experience with the new Redfields' but from what I've read and gathered from talking at the local gun shop, the new Redfields are quite pathetic, their quality is nowhere near the old USA made Redfields.

If you're considering purchasing one of the two scopes you've mentioned, I'd definately go with the VX-III.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 09:20
With all due respect, I would trust what is said at the local gun shops with a grain of salt so large, the mere presence would dehydrate the atmosphere for miles around. Looking at the quality of the new Weavers (same company will be making Redfields) one can't help but expect great things. Quality of the old Redfields give me a break- Nothing quality there.
JR47 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 10:58
Obviously, I'm new here. However, I've been involved with weapons for the past fifty years. Redfield was an old line manufacturer, and the quality was evident, until the last few years. They could no longer keep up with the newest technology, and short-cuts were taken.

I've handled the new Simmons Master Series scopes, and all of them are a cut above the old products. I will hope that the new Redfield line will reflect the Meade Optical QC evidenced on their high line telescopes. There have been some huge advancements in optics these past several decades. I believe that many of our "Famous Makers" are quite a bit behind the curve.

As for the gun shops advice. I'd be leery of it. A friend of mine came to me with an old Savage 99, in .303 Savage caliber,  and a box of .303 British that the gun shop assured him was the same cartridge!! The average counter person in a gun shop isn't an expert in  firearms information, most of them are legends in their own minds. The few who really know what's up will be the first to tell you that they can't keep up.
The only easy day was yesterday
upcreek2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upcreek2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 11:26
I was hoping that someone might have done field test on the new redfield. I have a old 5 star 3-9x50.  It hasn't ever let me down, but its not the best for low light hunting.  I will more than likely go with the VX-III.  I would like to put the new redfield and the VX-III side by side in a low light condition.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 11:31

Maybe I was misuderstood, when I stated talking at the local gun shop, I meant with seasoned hunters & shooters, not the run of the mill wanna-be's that usually stand behind the counter at some of the larger sporting goods stores some of you may frequent. Sorry I didn't make that clearer.

As for my local gunshop, it's owned and operated by one man with over thirty years experience as a master gunsmith & sporting goods retailer. He has done custom work for individuals up & down the East Coast. He also custom builts side-arms & assualt rifles for the local sheriffs dept. & local citizens. I could send you a brochure if anyone is interested.

I did not mean to imply that the old USA made Redfields were quality scopes, I owned two and they were both sold for Leupold Vari-X III's.

As for the quality of the new Weavers, I agree they are good scopes for the money, however they are an entry-level scope in my opinion and in my opinion you get what you pay for when it comes to optics.  

Be it old USA Redfields, new Redfields or new Weavers they're definately not in the same league with a Leupold VX-III.

Again, I apologize for not being clearer.

Edited by Stud Duck
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 13:10

I didn't realize the new Redfields were actually on the shelf yet.  I have seen a pre-production model that I did not like.

ranburr

upcreek2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upcreek2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 23:37

I haven't found any new redfields on local shelves, just on internet. 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2006 at 23:28
>>>Be it old USA Redfields, new Redfields or new Weavers they're definately not in the same league with a Leupold VX-III.

I think that Weaver Grand Slam scopes are easily in the same league as Leupold VX-III.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic