OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

what would you pick

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckhunter92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what would you pick
    Posted: November/04/2011 at 10:44
I'm looking at the z3 swarovski 4-12x50, the trijicon 2.5-10x56 or the leupold vx-3l 4.5-14x56. I really like the cut out on the leupold, I really like the illum. green dot on the trijicon, and I like the glass on the swaro. which do y'all thunk would be better for low light hunting. thanks
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 10:59
Swaro glass is a bit better then Trijicon, but illumination would be nice if you plan on doing lots of low light shooting. 

The Leupold would be nice for mounting it low and will have glass pretty similar to the Trijicon.

If your primary use will be low light, I would probably pick the Trijicon. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 11:09
As much as I like Trijicon's (I have a 3-9 X 40) that 56 is huge. If it were my call, I'd get the Swaro and not look back. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
duckhunter92 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckhunter92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 16:49
I looked through both and I like them alot. I'm just torn between the 2. it's alot of money so I want to make sure I make the right choice.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 16:55
For low light hunting I'd go with the Trijjicon!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckhunter92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 20:51
but wouldn't that swaro gather some serious light? the only thing about the swaro is the crosshairs aren't that dark they looked pretty thin when I was looking them it at cabelas
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 21:26
Originally posted by duckhunter92 duckhunter92 wrote:

but wouldn't that swaro gather some serious light? the only thing about the swaro is the crosshairs aren't that dark they looked pretty thin when I was looking them it at cabelas

Is low light performance your only criteria?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckhunter92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 22:07
basically yes. I just don't have 2000 to spend on a high dollar zeiss or swaro so tryin to get the best I can get for 1000 or under
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 22:19
If you want a specialized low light setup then you may want to lean toward the Tirjicon with 56mm bell you listed. If you want it more multi-purpose you may want to check out their 3-9x40 with the same reticle.

If you want multi-purpose light weight scope get the z3 you listed with the 4a reticle that works well for low light situations. The z3 is not going to come close to costing you 2k but it will be more than the Trijicon.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckhunter92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 22:27
so mike650 you think the trijicon would be better for low light hunting then the z3? right now I have a bushnell 3-9x50 so whichever I get is going to be way better I'm sure I just want to make the right choice because it's going to be a long time before I buy another scope this expensive.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 22:31
Swaro reticles (even the 4a) are pretty thin.  I think they will work fine even at the last shooting light, but I would choose a lit reticle for night hunting.

I have a z3 and it is a fantastic scope.  It is extremely bright.
-Matt
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 22:38
Originally posted by duckhunter92 duckhunter92 wrote:

so mike650 you think the trijicon would be better for low light hunting then the z3? right now I have a bushnell 3-9x50 so whichever I get is going to be way better I'm sure I just want to make the right choice because it's going to be a long time before I buy another scope this expensive.

Personally I like the z3 your looking at and would be a great scope out west. My situation maybe be different than yours because I hunt in a variety of conditions including low light.

My go to rifle has a Swaro 2-12x50 with 4a reticle on it.

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 22:38
I have not looked through a z3 but, I am sure they are top rate. I like the light weight of the z3. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckhunter92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 22:46
what other kind of conditions do you hunt? I'm leaning towards the z3 but I like the illum. dot on the trijicon. my uncle has a swaro 6-18x50 habitc or whatever there called and he loves his. I guess I'm just gonna get the swaro I know I won't be dissapointed
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 22:58
I don't deal much with low light conditions so light weight is usually my first concern. due to hunting high plains/mountain states.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckhunter92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 23:00
yeah I understand that. I hunt in Mississippi so low light is my main concern
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckhunter92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2011 at 18:24
so really what in wondering is, will the trijicon gather as much light as the swaro?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckhunter92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2011 at 18:13
just got the swarovski z3 4-12x50 plex. love it. thanks for al the info guys
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic