OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

looking for advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looking for advice
    Posted: February/02/2006 at 20:50

I am on the brink of receiving a custom Encore in 260 Rem.  Which scope would you recommend?

3-9x40 Conquest

2.5-10x42 IOR

3-9x42 Kahles CL

I know there are some price differences but not enough for concern on my part.

Here are some thoughts please offer insight if you think differently:

1. I like idea of the etched reticle

2. Eye relief is not critical with this caliber.

3. Does the magnum lock on the IOR cause it to be mounted higher on the rifle?

By the way, What does it take to break the wire reticle?  I own many scopes and have never had a reticle break.

Should the etched reticle be a deciding factor considering I have never broken one or known anyone else who has?

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 00:12

I have broken a wire reticle on a Weaver years ago.  I dropped it from a height of about three ft.  I have seen two broken on Leupolds.  It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.  You have some pretty radically different price ranges here on your selections.  How will you be using the scope?

ranburr 

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 03:11

As ranburr stated, wire reticles can break, however it is not a common occurrence, but of the 3 models you are considering, I would probably go with the 3-9 Conquest. I believe it has a 4 inch eye relief and a etched reticle. The IOR has a 30mm tube which adds weight and can cause the scope o be mounted higher than necessary. Assuming on the caliber of the rifle you have chosen, I think you would be best served with the Conquest. It has great optics and a proven track record. The Kahles has great optics, but I'm not crazy with the Multi-Zero system. It also costs about twice as much as the Zeiss. Remember, nobody ever said anything bad about a Zeiss.

____________________________________________________________ ___________

The Corps- "We can't make you do anything you don't want to, but we can sure make you wish you had". Semper Fi

Freedom has a special flavor to those who fought for it that the sheltered will never know.

Edited by Roy Finn
corsag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 08:24

I will be using the rifle for hunting mainly, however it will see just as much time at the range.

I appreciate your input, I would agree for the price the Zeiss seems to be the wise choice.

I noticed the IOR had the T3 lens coating which I thought would offer some advantages along with the wider magnification range for minimal price difference.

The Kahles (I am looking at the model without the multizero feature) has a significant difference in price but with the new design and T-Bone rating :) I thought maybe worth the extra cost

Thanks for you help.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 08:59
Wanted to change Roys about nobody saying bad about Zeiss- Those damn plastic turrets!
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 10:32

Congrats on your choice of .260 Remington.  GREAT caliber; I absolutely love my A-Bolt in this round.

With regard to your scope choices, I recently purchased a Kahles CL without the Multi-Zero (from Brady w/SWFA; very pleased with his service) with the 50mm objective.  I have looked through the Conquest but have yet to check out IOR.  I also own a Burris Black Diamond & all I can say is that the glass on the Kahles to my eyes is much superior to that of all these scopes (as it should be when you look at it's price).   I honestly believe that I got my money's worth with the Kahles & I believe that this scope would be great for your intended use & rifle setup.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 10:53

It is best to look at the scopes yourself to see what works best.

If price difference does not matter, than get the most expensive/higher quality one.  With optics you tend to get what you pay for.  The difference in performance may not be worth the money for those of us on a tight budget, but if you can afford to get the more expensive model, than you should go for it.

There are some other considerations though.  I am not sure how heavy is the barrel of your Encore, but I assume it is a farily light rifle.  If that's the case I would not saddle it with a particularly heavy scope.  In other words stay with a 1" tube.

On a side note, 30mm tube has no effect on the mounting height whatsoever.  It does add weight.  As much as I like IOR tactical scopes, I am not as crazy about them as hunting scopes.  Good glass and all, but they tend to be heavy.

ILya

corsag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 11:59

Thanks for the advice.

I see your point, but I am hesitant to go on price alone because of scopes like the Leupold LPS.

It is priced around $900-$1000 and I hear it is about the equivlaent to the Conquest which is about half the price.

I do not mind paying a little more if there is some benefit. 

Which in the case of the LPS I am not sure if there are any advantages Approve

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 12:38

I was mostly refering to the scopes you mentioned.  Leupolds are overpriced for what they are.

I personally, would get the IOR out of the three scopes you mentioned, but that is a personal preference more than anything else: I do not buy German products.

ILya

corsag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 13:40

Do you have a reason not to purchase German products or do you prefer to root for the underdogs?

I do not mean to imply anything negative toward products that are not German It just seems the germans have an upperhand on the scope market.  Wouldn't you agree?

Of course the advantages of the german scopes could just be based on perception.Wink

c.j. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 14:04

I took my IOR 2.5x10 illum mp-8 into gander mountain and compared it to the conquest and a zwari and found the zeiss with about 1/2 inch better eye relief but the IOR had around 3/12 inches. I found all 3 scopes equal in resolution of writing from across the store which was significanty better than the vx-lll. the target turrets ON the IOR are great with crisp audible clicks. the mp-8 recticle is great and it lights up without any bleed off from the recticles. I have all ready commented on its good low light visuals but have not been able to test it against the Zeiss. but I find it hard to believe there would be much difference, buts its possible.

the Zeiss had one advantage that i wish the IOR had. I know it doesn't make sense but with the Zeiss I could move my eye side to side and up and down further without loosing the sight picture closer to the occular housing than with the IOR. the further out from the housing the more they were the same. its almost as if the exit pupil was not as large closer in. maybe one of you has a reasonable explanation.

As far as durability goes, thats anyones guess at this point. I have not been able to do the box test as yet so I have no Idea how precise the movements of the turrets on the recticle are but the IOR's point of aim is repeatable.

as far as the Kahles is concerned, I have never even seen one in person but I assume the glass would be as good as the other 2. hope this helps.

c.j.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 15:01

I've had a good bit of experience with the Conquest and the Kahles CL without multi-zero.  If you really don't mind spending $800 the Kahles is incredible.  Compared to the Conquest it's a much bigger view that really jumps out at you.  I wa blown away the first time I looked through mine.  If you want to save $350 the Conquest will work fine; just don't ever look through the CL..

Another thumbs up from me on the .260.  I've used mine for two years now on deer, hogs (up to 400 lbs), beavers, crows, and other varmints I won't mention.  It's one of those calibers that just kills better than you would expect.  My Kimber has accounted for 50 head of big game (deer and hogs) and only one animal took a step after being shot.  This is from a rifle with minimal recoil.  I attribute this to two things: (1) the .260 bullets have high sectional density for their weight and have great penetration (2) My Kimber shoots great and has an incredible trigger, so my shots go right where I want them to.  Confidence in your rifle is way more important that what scope you put on it.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 15:07

corsag, I do not buy German products because of current and past geopolitical reasons: I am Jewish and my grandfather died in Aushwitz.  Germany has been doing a pretty solid job (along with France) of boycotting Israeli products and has recently forced a number of German companies to renege on a number of contracts to sell stuff to Israel (mostly on products that they perceived could be used by the IDF).  Europe has always been antisemitic on both personal and governmental level (with a notable exception of Denmark and Bulgaria) spearheaded by Germany/France in the West and Ukraine/Lithuania in the East.  These days it is fashionable for antisemites to say that they are not antisemitic, but are merely anti-zionist or anti-Israel.  It does not change the essense on it.  Basically, I see no compelling reason to directly subsidize German economy (or French for that matter, except for cognac).

Anyhow, German optics are indeed very good, but to me absolutely not worth the money.  I think the best quality for the money is to be found in the $300-$600 range and not from the German manufacturers.  If you are looking for top-end stuff there are other scopes out there that are just as good as any German scope or binocular: US Optics and Nightforce scopes and  NIkon Venturer LXL binoculars come to mind (some people would disagree with me on the Venturers, but, IMO, they are comparable to the best German binoculars).  Further on down along the price scale are IOR and Meopta products that are as good as anything in their price range (Meopta makes Zeiss Conquest glass).  Then you have various Burris, Sightron Bushnell Elite 4200, etc.  I can't really think of any sporting optics that Germans make that I can not purchase from a different manufacturer.

ILya

corsag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 17:42

koshkin,

I did not mean to be offensive, if I came across this way I apologize.

I was not looking at this purchase from the same perspective.

In fact I try to stay away from all things political if possible.

I do appreciate your feedback and I hope I have not been offensive in my quest for information.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 19:25

I am not (and was not) by any means offended.  It just seemed that if I said that I do not like Germany, it would sound a bit odd, so I provided some explanation.

It is just the way I view things and I am by no means trying to get others to change their opinions.

ILya

corsag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corsag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 21:56

That is good to know.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2006 at 07:25
Read John Barsness book" Optics for the Hunter" Then get back to us. I will say if I were not married, I would be driving a Porsche GT2!!!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2006 at 13:17

None of the above !!!

LEU55132 Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-III 30mm Riflescope Leupold 4.5-14x50 VX-III 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • Index Matched Lens System
SWFA: $679.95
LEU55265 Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-III 30mm Riflescope Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-III 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Boone & Crockett
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • Free Leupold Ballistic Aiming Training CD w/ Purchase
  • Free One-year Membership to Boone and Crockett Club's Associates Program w/ Purchase
SWFA: $679.95
More Info... Buy Now

LEU55122 Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-III 30mm Riflescope Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-III 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Heavy Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
SWFA: $599.95

The "Long Range" 30mm tube will give you  100 MOA elevation and windage adjustment and the new VX-III scopes are finger click adjustable so you can dial in elevation correction like a tactical or target scope. Add a laser rangefinder and know the balistics of your ammo and you are in business. Of all the scopes I have used this power range  4.5 to 14 is my favorite.

Buy American

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2006 at 17:31
The Leupolds you mentioned are nice scopes, but are not in the same league with COnquest, Kahles or IOR.

ILya

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic