OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Refurbished Binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refurbished Binoculars
    Posted: February/02/2006 at 20:06

Can anyone tell me the pluses and minuses of buy manufacturer referbished binoculars.  I am thinking about buying a pair.  They have a much shorter waranty but are much cheaper.

Thanks,

Silver Bear

Silver Bear
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2006 at 22:23
That's probably why they have a shorter warranty
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 07:48

From my experience (and I've done a heck of alot of price comparisons) The price of used/refurbs do not cover the shorter warranty. From the prices I've seen you'd be ahead to buy new.

I'm very patient with my shopping and last year I bought a set of Swarovski SLC 10x42mm new in the box cheaper than anyone was selling used/refurbs for. Keep shopping.

P.S.

Some of the best deals on used/demo optics are after SWFA starts listing the SHOT show demos in late February (I think) You can purchase display models with full factory warrantys with substantial savings.

Edited by Stud Duck
Buster1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 11:20
I don't know about other makers, but Nikon refurbs are covered by the same "No-fault" warranty as their new stuff.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 11:44

Originally posted by Buster1 Buster1 wrote:

I don't know about other makers, but Nikon refurbs are covered by the same "No-fault" warranty as their new stuff.

That's great! I've never checked out the Nikon's, new or used. Not much of a Nikon fan.

Edited by Stud Duck
David View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 13:01

Originally posted by Buster1 Buster1 wrote:

I don't know about other makers, but Nikon Refurbs are covered by the same "No-fault" warranty as their new stuff.

Nikon Refurbs all have a 90 day warranty.  Big sticker on the box that states so.

Buster1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 14:50
90 day warranty that doesn't cost you a thing to send them back for repair. After that, they're covered by the same "No fault" lifetime warranty as their new stuff that lets you return them for repair or replacement (their option), no questions asked, for $10.00 plus return shipping. Don't believe me, call Nikon customer service and ask.......
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2006 at 12:23
I have seen this discrepancy before with the Nikon refurbs. For what it is worth, I had a pair of LX refurbs that I sent back to have one of the inner elements cleaned and they did not charge me a cent. It was within the 90 day warranty period. I have not had to send anything back since then but I know several others and they were charged the $10 fee.
Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic