OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need a new Range box.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a new Range box.
    Posted: October/31/2011 at 10:36
Had a Plano that I bought last year from Cabelas before leaving Washington, and went out to the range on Friday only to have the wind blow it off the table and crack it pretty much from handle to handle, almost split in half. I usually keep some cleaning supplies in there, ammo, my calls, hearing protection, and it was multi-shelved. It also had mounts to clean rifles. I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction for a new one, maybe one that's tougher than the Plano one. Thanks!
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2011 at 10:53
I bought two of these:

They're the Plano 1612-30 and are actually a shotgunner's box. But one holds ammo and the other my ear/eye protection, stapler, etc. The little compartment in the lid holds 5-6 40-rd boxes of .22 and I can fit in 3 50-rd containers of .308, plus 10 clips of .30-06 for my Garand. I just tossed the shotgun shell holders and use the inner trays for other things. I don't know if they would hold up much better, but the plastic is beefy and more on the soft side, i.e. not so brittle.
Reaction time is a factor...
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2011 at 10:59
Where did you get that one at? I was looking to get a wood one, but after reading about them staining from cleaning solvents and whatnot, I don't want a wooden one. I just want one that won't break so damn easily, it fell maybe 2 feet?
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2011 at 12:13
May not be what your looking for, but I just use a Dillon range bag. Ammo, ears, eyes, rangefinder, and anything special needed for that trip in the main compartment. Tools, cleaning equipment, small bottles of lube and solvent, chamber flags, and other maintenance equipment in a side pocket, with notebook, manuals, some first-aid supplies, and pins in the other pocket.
I also used to use a large tackle box for a portable tool box for my gunsmith and armorers tools.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2011 at 12:39
Did you contact Plano on what they could do for you?

customerservice@planomolding.com
-Matt
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2011 at 14:07
I got them off a guy who was selling off a bunch of gear at a garage sale. They've held up pretty well over the last three years. I don't think I've dropped them more than a few inches though. Still, the plastic seems more giving. They're marked 5 PP inside the little recycling symbol, which I think means polypropylene??? I got that image off the Plano site, so would think they're still making them.
Reaction time is a factor...
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 04:34

I use a craftsman rolling tool box. It holds everything from front rest and bags to tools for cleaning and small repairs,gets a little heavy but stays on the ground so it can't fall and the wheels make it easy to move around.
froggy
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 05:45
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 18:19
MTM RANGE BOX...
No one
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic