OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

6x32's which ones?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 14:14
Originally posted by NDhunter NDhunter wrote:

Waldo:

Check out the 6x32 Katmai, on the SWFA, "Sample list", save some dollars, they look as new.

This is a plug for the sponsor of the forum, the salesman here, will not try to steer you to
a 10x42.

Since I was just about to post this from the samplelist myself, I have to say..."good idea". Wink
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Waldo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2011 at 14:29
The time has come to stop procrastinating and just buy something. It appears this (6x32) size range has quite a good selection of good quality glass at some quite respectable prices, perhaps the magnification level just makes it easier to produce quality optics?
Well, the Katmai's will ultimately get the GO, good quality glass from all accounts (maybe not as good as the Viper but equal of the others or better) plus the most compact size of the class, if going compact may as well go the most compact. More likely to carry them, more likely to glass thru them, more likely to shoot the deer of a lifetime Yippee
Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.
Cheers,
Waldo
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2011 at 15:08
Keep us posted!
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Waldo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2011 at 01:03
Well, my Katmai's turned up today :)
They will be my xmas present and unfortunately the box is all wrapped in plastic (and if I open it the kids may get suspicious), mighty impressed with the size of the box though nice and small. May be a long wait till xmas day, can't wait to get them out hunting.
Cheers,
Waldo
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2011 at 07:00
How are they lookin...?Wink  Waldo Please keep us updated on those katmai's
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Waldo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2011 at 01:12
Originally posted by coyote95 coyote95 wrote:

How are they lookin...?Wink  Waldo Please keep us updated on those katmai's

Still just waiting for xmas so can't get my hands on them yet, they are teasing me sitting up in the cupboard!
Good thing it's getting a bit hot around here to do much hunting, I'll post my impressions when I get my hands on them proper.
Cheers,
Waldo
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 09:40
I don't know how you do'it, but will be looking forward to your impressions on these leupold's
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Waldo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 23:11
Merry xmas to all, well a quick impression of the Katmais. A quick set up and look outside in overcast and drizzly conditions and I'm very impressed. Clarity and colour is excellent, focus is very quick so I am a happy camper to say the least.
I have a trail camera set up out bush so I may head out next day or so to check it and will give the Katmais a run in the bush to see how they go in the real world.
Cheers,
Waldo
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2011 at 14:23
Good to hear Waldo..... Maybe you could post some pictures from the trail camera, that would be kool to see some down under critters.  
Waldo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2011 at 16:21
Hi Coyote95, picked up the cam after close to 8 weeks out. Had a total of 770 photos on it, a large proportion were of twigs blowing in the wind but a fair few deer (Sambar), a couple of foxes, wombats and a few various roos.
As the weather has warmed up here (southern hemisphere summer) we had a larger proportion of infrared night photos as the deer (stags especially) are staying bunkered down during the hotter day's (plus a lot have cast so are probably feeling a bit bashfull without headgear). I have a lot of sorting out to do to filter thru the latest set.
Here is a young Sambar stag from the previous set?

Well, there would be a photo if I could work out how to just paste a photo in without a hyperlink or anything like that, help?

Cheers,
Waldo

coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2011 at 16:45
Hi Waldo, I will be sending you a PM
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2011 at 05:41
Here you go Waldo

Doug
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2011 at 08:05

Kool pictures Waldo, thanks for sharing..... Do you get to hunt those animals ?

Waldo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2011 at 13:50
Thanks Guy's, the deer is a reasonably young Sambar stag, the second photo is a Kangaroo.

The Sambar is arguably Australia's premier deer to hunt, a mature stag is a very big (600-700 pound) bodied animal that is both elusive and can take a serious hit without flinching. I've spent a few years targeting the Sambar specifically with hunts most weekends from March - September (our cooler weather), finally managed to bag my first stag last July. No closed season on Sambar and likewise no bag limits, even though discretion is to be exercised, there are available to hunt in large tracts of public land, life is pretty sweet Yippee

The Kangaroo is on Australias coat of arms and while they can not be hunted they are a breeding machine and farmers can get permits to remove a certain number from there property, restrictions apply.

I started going thru the latest batch of photos, out of the first 100, 51 have animals on them. So far have shots of deer, kangaroo, wallaby, kookaburra, wombat, fox and some butterflies. It's a nice part of the world.

Cheers,
Waldo
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2011 at 07:56
Thanks for the info on the Sanbar. Glad to hear you can hunt those deer and hopefully their good eating too....Smile    Enjoy your view with those new 6x32's   Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic