OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

6x32's which ones?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6x32's which ones?
    Posted: October/29/2011 at 07:05
I have decided to go for a pair of 6x32's, nice compact size should be good in low light situations and enough magnification in the terrain I hunt. Unfortunately not as much choice as other sizes it appears, open to recomendations?
Thanks,
Waldo
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2011 at 09:00
As you said, there's not a ton of options.  I'd sure like to have this one:

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2011 at 13:22
Originally posted by Waldo Waldo wrote:

I have decided to go for a pair of 6x32's......... open to recomendations?
Thanks,
Waldo
Do a Google search Google It  for Leupold Katmai 6x32.
Waldo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2011 at 16:25
Thanks for the comments, they are the two models I have considered so far, looks like hopefully I am on the right track.
Cheers,
Waldo
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2011 at 18:03
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2011 at 19:26
Swift Eaglet 7x36
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Al in SC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al in SC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2011 at 19:58
I to am looking for a 6 x 32 binocular. Have found the Leupold Katmai 6 x 32 and the Vortex 6.5 x 32 but know nothing about either. 

Are there others? Has anyone used either of these and have any info to share? Sure would like to hear from you if so. Thanks. Al 
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2011 at 20:09
As mentioned earlier, the Vortex Viper 6X32 is a very nice binocular in that configuration.
-Matt
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2011 at 20:18
They aren't 6x32's but I have a set of Leupold Yosemite 6X30 and I love them, great for the money.
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2011 at 21:51
Originally posted by Al in SC Al in SC wrote:

I to am looking for a 6 x 32 binocular. Have found the Leupold Katmai 6 x 32 and the Vortex 6.5 x 32 but know nothing about either. 

Are there others? Has anyone used either of these and have any info to share? Sure would like to hear from you if so. Thanks. Al 
Which Vortex?  The Fury or the Raptor?  I have both.  The Fury is a nice glass and has a very nice image and wide fov.  It can be had for somewhere around $130 nowadays.  The Raptor is a slightly larger version of the Leupold Yosemite.

The Katmai is probably the most compact of the 6x32 glass.  I like it, and would like to but have not had the chance to compare it to the 6x32 Viper.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2011 at 07:13
6x32 discontinued vipers are a good buy in that price range. get to look at some fury's this weekend that i purchased my daughter. should be good comparison.  always read good about the leupolds also.  really enjoy the 6-6.5 range imo Smile
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Al in SC View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al in SC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2011 at 20:15
Rally appreciate the responses. Any others will also be appreciated. Thanks.
Waldo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 20:46
Been to a couple of local gun shops the last day or so, said I was looking for a set of Katmai 6x32's and all they could do was try and sell me some 8 or 10x42's. Repeated the 6x32 line and they continued to show me 8x's and 10x's and see look how far way you can see stuff (may be handy if I huntd the open plains but I don't) looks like I'll be buying online at this rate.
Pretty well convinced myself the Katmai's are they way to go (for me at least), would be nice to see a set first but that isn't going to happen, oh well.
Cheers,
Waldo
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 21:14
The Katmai are real nice glass.  They may be a tiny bit behind the Vipers, but (IMO anyway) they have the best combination of nice small size and good optics.  You likely will not be disappointed.
Steve

Waldo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 21:21
Just been doing some more research on the net and noticed the Meopta Meopro 6.5x32's, not suite as physically small as the Katmai but not far behind, another option to consider. Any one have personal experience with the Meopro's in that size?
Cheers,
Waldo
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2011 at 12:18
Originally posted by Al in SC Al in SC wrote:

Has anyone used either of these and have any info to share? Sure would like to hear from you if so. Thanks. Al 

Here's something that you might enjoy reading when you have some time to kill.

I purchased the Leupold Katmai 6x32 for my wife more than four years ago, it is very small and lightweight and and has a wide FOV and is very enjoyable to use.  Great for men or women with small hands.

However, because my wife and I are Senior Citizens, we both appreciate using binoculars with more magnification.  Our older eyeballs need all the help they can get.
During the daytime we are mostly into birding and the smaller, distant targets require a little extra boost in magnification. 

I made the mistake of letting my wife use my Minox BD 10x44 BP (Porro) binocular and she prefers it over the weaker 6x32 Katmai.  From personal experience the Minox 10x is sharper than the Leupold 6x. 
I ended up purchasing an older Nikon 10x50 Gold Sentinel so that we each have a 10x binocular to use for daytime bird watching.

Stan

Edited by Bird Watcher - November/05/2011 at 16:32
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 09:42
I got to look at my daughter's 6.5x32 fury's this weekend and for the money spent was a good choice. The comparison between my 6x32 viper and her fury's kind or surprised me.  The fury's view was very similar to the viper's. Pretty impressive considering I really like the viper's view.  Great Buy at 130$ imo    I will try to post a review in the members test and review page later

Edited by coyote95 - November/06/2011 at 09:45
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Waldo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 13:43
Thanks for the comments guy's, the choices are starting to open up a bit.
Leupold Katmai 6x32 (most compact)
Vortex Fury 6.5x32 (real keen price currently in comparison to Katmais but a bit bigger/heavier)
Viper 6x32 most expensive option but real good reviews
Better make a decision and order one of them before it gets more complicated.
Cheers,
Waldo

Waldo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 13:45
Can probably also add the Meopro 6.5x32's to that list.

NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 14:05
Originally posted by Waldo Waldo wrote:

Been to a couple of local gun shops the last day or so, said I was looking for a set of Katmai 6x32's and all they could do was try and sell me some 8 or 10x42's. Repeated the 6x32 line and they continued to show me 8x's and 10x's and see look how far way you can see stuff (may be handy if I huntd the open plains but I don't) looks like I'll be buying online at this rate.
Pretty well convinced myself the Katmai's are they way to go (for me at least), would be nice to see a set first but that isn't going to happen, oh well.
Cheers,
Waldo

Waldo:

Check out the 6x32 Katmai, on the SWFA, "Sample list", save some dollars, they look as new.

This is a plug for the sponsor of the forum, the salesman here, will not try to steer you to
a 10x42.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic