OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swaro CL 8x30 or Leica Ultravid 8x32??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nyrifleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swaro CL 8x30 or Leica Ultravid 8x32??
    Posted: October/28/2011 at 10:24
Primary use will be bowhunting from blinds/treestands, and I've narrowed it to these two......I think.....(the Leica Ultravid 8x20 has an outside shot).
I currently run Kahles 8x42, looking for something smaller and lighter.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated...
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2011 at 15:14
The CL is likely new enough that not many will have had a chance to have it in a side by side with the Leica.  I have looked at the CL and it is a really nice binocular.  There has been lots of chatter about what Swarovski had to sacrifice to get the CL to its price level.  I think the answer is not much.  There is a less expensive composite body, a less expensivee right eye diopter adjustment, and probably a somewhat simplified eyepiece design.  Other than that there is probably not a lot of difference in the CL and the 8x30 SLC.  The ergonomics of the CL are probably the best of any compact glass I have had in hand.  The Leica is nice and compact as well and good optics certainly.  However I have not had a chance to compare the Swaro CL to anything else.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2011 at 20:04
I like the CL as well.

Take the 8X20 out of your options, that is a miserable exit pupil for a hunting binocular.
-Matt
stephen b View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2011 at 21:30
If you have the cash- the Leica 8x32 Ultravid (esp. the HD) is definitely better.

To me even the 8x30 SLC NEU is better than the CL. And the Swarovski 8x32 EL is definitely better than the CL. IMO even the Pentax 8x32 DCF ED beat out the Swaro 8x30 CL.

-(see the link below  to a review that I posted on bird forum and also posted  here (OT) in the review section  of all the top 30 and 32 mm bino's that Swarovski offers at the time)

here is the link to BF site of the review that I did and posted (along with long posts and commentary):

** note- the main antagonist on that thread- (denco@comcast.n) ended up selling his 8x30 CL's before the thread was even finished

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=208904

So if the Swaro EL is better than the Swaro CL and the Swaro EL and the Leica 8x32 Ultravid are very close optically- then the Leica is going to beat the CL

A sub $1000 (CL) is not better than the Swaro EL ($1650) for a reason- sorry just not happening. If you looked at them closely side by side in the outside field conditions like I did- it is readily apparent. And IMO, there is no way that the Swaro CL is going to best the Leica Ultravid HD to anyone's eyes in a close side by side comparison.

So if it was me- IMO there are better 8x30/32 's than the CL's

Edited by tahqua - November/06/2011 at 12:36
stephen b View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2011 at 21:33
Here is the link to my OT review here- easier to see the pics:

http://www.opticstalk.com/my-review-of-a-8x32-el-8x30-slc-neu-and-a-8x30-cl_topic30011.html

Edited by tahqua - November/06/2011 at 12:37
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2011 at 22:56
I would also recommend the Swarovski CL 8x30.  Great handling and optics, seem perfect
for use in treestand, as mentioned.  These work well even with one hand.  Hard to beat Swaro.
for service and value.
I had the Kahles 8x42, and you will really like these better.  Also I would not suggest the small
8x20 for this use, you would be frustrated.
nyrifleman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nyrifleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2011 at 09:48
Thanks for the input all.

I'll eliminate the pocket binos from consideration.

Money is not a factor here, my only concern is the best bino for treestand use.

That having been said, I realize the Leica's are better glass than the Swaros, but how much glass do I need to evaluate critters that will be within bowrange?

I'm thinking the Swaros for treestand use, and a larger pair of Leicas (or Swaro EL) for rifle season.
nyrifleman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nyrifleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2011 at 09:52
Stephen,

I did see your review here, thanks for the link to the other forum as well.

Perhaps I should be looking for a pair of 8x30 SLC Neu Swaros....
stephen b View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2011 at 11:17
The SLC NEU's are quite good. - but the EL's are  better if $$ is no big deal.

If you are only using them for treestand use and animals with in bow range, I would just get a pair of Leupold 6x30 Yosemite's and then get the Swaro EL's or the Leica's for other use.

But then again if $$ is no big deal, then get the Swaro EL's or the Leicas and then get the SLC NEU's or the CL's for tree stand use.

I will 2nd and 3rd, or is it 4th the above comments concerning the 8x20 size. I had a mint used pair of 8x20 Swaro's for about 3 days before I decided they were just not going to cut it.

I know some people love that size, but I for one am not of fan of that finicky size and configuration. Now if it was a quality bino that was H2O proof and  the size and style of the Bushnell/ B&L 7x26 Custom Compact- that would be a whole nother thing. I have a B&L 7x26 CC that I really like and it is not near as finicky as those little 8x20's. I love the 11 oz. weight of mine also- just wish they were H2O proof and had better eye cups.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2011 at 19:26
stephen b

I spend some time on BF, don't know how I managed to miss that thread, or here in the review section either  Shocked.  Yours is a good review.  I think maybe there was a difference in what I looked at and what you had.  I thought the edges on the CL I looked at were pretty good.  But I need to repeat that I have not had any time to compare the CL with anything else.  I'm really wondering how they might compare to say, the Vortex Viper HD in 8x32 for instance. 

The local dealer now has an 8x32 EL, so maybe I will luck out and he'll have both the EL and CL at the same time.  FWIW, the dealer here is selling the CL's to people who have not ever done anything but look at Swarovski before.

BTW, Dennis over at BF is not worth worrying about.  He has been both the #1 fan and morphed into the #1 detractor of nearly every binocular ever made.

Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic