OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

leupold rifleman vs vortex crossfire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomsick42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leupold rifleman vs vortex crossfire
    Posted: October/26/2011 at 10:54
   I just had the chance to look at a leupold rifleman 3-9, it was 170 at my local gun shop.  The glass was clear and the eye relief was nice and forgiving.  Seems like a decent deal, being as I havent seen much in this brand for under 200bucks. 
    Im also looking at the vortex crossfire, I havent had a chance to actually look thru one yet, but they have a good reputation anyways.  And being as these seem to be under 200 as well, Im wondering which on is better.  They both have no questions asked warranties, which is nice too.

Any pros or cons for either of these scopes would be helpful, for now they are on an even field to me.  Ill be puting my scope on aSemi Auto saiga ak if that matters much.

powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2011 at 18:37
Of the two I would probably go with the rifleman over the crossfire. The rifleman draws some criticism but I see some criticism of the crossfires across the web as to durability, much more than the rifleman. Personally while I find the rifleman an OK scope I do think in a lot of cases the rifleman is over priced at it's usual $160 -$180 price range. For that you can usually find a VX-1, or fullfield II on sale, the redfields for $30 less and for about $25 more a bushnell 4200 and all are better alternatives IMHO. As to the vortex if you move up to the diamondback series from the crossfire you are not much over the rifleman and I would probably reverse my choice in that case. If they have any left SWFA has a couple of the pentax pioneers on their auction sight for $125 and that would be a e option for you as they are really just fullfield II's rebadged. There are also some redfields on the sample list for as low as $109 for a 2-7x33 and that too would be a better value imo. I have bought several scopes from the sample list and SWFA auctions and have been happy each time so you can feel safe dealing with them.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2011 at 18:40
+1 on the Sample List purchases. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2011 at 19:29
Look hard at the Vortex Diamondbacks.  They are excellent values.
-Matt
boomsick42 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomsick42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2011 at 21:59
Thats funny, I was just looking at the diamond back 1.75-4x32 and 2-7x32.  What gives this an edge on the leupold(aside from magnification)?  Is it for features or general ruggedness?

Burris fullfield II 2-7x35 is in that 150-200 price range and would be just fine for my needs.
Also Im lookin at a Swift premier 1.5-4.5x32, and its 160.

So whats the best of this price range, Burris, Vortex DB, Redfield or Swift? Maybe a Weaver classic V series 2-7????

Theres alot of choices here, I have no idea how to narrow it down to one.  I guess Im lookin for something with the best zero retention, and basically the toughest one of the group will be my winner. 
boomsick42 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomsick42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2011 at 22:25

After doing some digging I found that Redfield, Burris, Weaver, and Swift DONT have full unlimited lifetime warranties.  They are only fixing factory defects, and not anything else, if their techs deem it to be 'misuse'. 

So I think the nod is going to the Vortex DB, in either 1.5-4.5x32 or 2-7x32.  I guess I answered my own question.

But Im still wondering, what makes a middle of the road vortex better than the lowest price leupold?  
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2011 at 22:28
I was looking for a sub 200 dollar scope a few years back.  I ended up getting a Fullfield II.  I looked at that, the 3200, the VXI and the rifleman.  The rifleman was at the bottom of the ones I looked at.  There are much better for that price than the rifleman.  
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2011 at 23:05
I've never used the Rifleman, but I've had several VX-I's and even a VX-II, and several others from other brands like the 3200 that is in this price range, and the Burris FFII imo is definitely the way to go in that price range out of what I've tried imo. That said, I have not used the Vortex Diamondback, so it's one of the few I can't comment on.
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2011 at 05:52
Actually today the market is full of good scopes in the $150-$200 price range and if you shop a bit you can usually drop the bottom figure to $125 due to sales etc. This is a very competitive niche in the market and the level where you are beginning to get what I consider to be a pretty competent scope if you are looking for a good std. hunting scope in the mid power ranges , mostly 3-9x40. Now if you are wanting tactical knobs , adj. objectives or mega power then the $$ will increase . Which is best is the fuel for countless internet disputes and in reality it's sort of the old chevy vs ford debates. Some will claim that they can see infinitely minute optical quality differences while other like to spend the night camped out in their back yards looking at tree bark in the dark to determine low light images. I personally find them all pretty decent optically and capable of providing plenty of capability for legal shooting hours where I live . Also to me once I sight mine in the caps go on and if I never touch the adjustments again all the better so finger adjustments are not important to me. So I tend to shop for price and value. I currently have scopes from Burris, Pentax, leupold I's and II's, a prostaff a couple of old weavers , bushnells and yes even a couple of retired tascos. The diamondbacks from vortex seem to be pretty nice scopes from the ones I have handled ( I don't own one) and others here are very much pro vortex except for the crossfires made in China. They are a fairly new company to the riflescope game but they are making a splash with their products and customer service. If you likeit go for it and you will most likely be has happy as with any of the other choices. Don't over analyze this , it is just a $175 purchase.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic