OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX-R Patrol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX-R Patrol
    Posted: October/24/2011 at 13:06
I recently picked on of these up.   My experience with Leupold has been less than grand.  Last one I used was when I was very young on a deer hunting rifle in the early 90s.  Ive since handled a few, tried a few but have always been less than impressed with what you get for the money. 
I wanted to directly compare this scope with the SS 3-9, both cost the same, both have similar features but they still have enough different about them to make them one up each other I guess for a lack of better words.  I put the Leupold on the blaser and the SS on the SPS tactical.  Both are proven one holers and both 308's.  

Specs -
Stock # - LEU113771
  • Matte
  • FireDot TMR
  • 30mm
  • 1-Button Illumination
  • Motion Sensor
  • Index Matched Lens Coatings
  • Lead-Free Edge-Blackened Lenses
Weight (oz): 15.3
Length (in): 12.6
Eye Relief (in): 4.2 - 3.7
Field of View @ 100 yards (ft): 33.6 - 13.6
Exit Pupil (mm): 9.8 - 4.2
MIL: .1
Finish: Matte
Mounting Space (in): 5.4

Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD

Weight (oz): 19

Length (in): 13.1
Eye Relief (mm): 105 - 77
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 33.2 - 14.51
Exit Pupil (mm): 14 - 4.67

Biggest differences I can tell you, SS is a FFP scope Leupold is not, and Leupold has illumination SS does not.  Both have a fixed parallax and both are 3-9.  SS does have an extra "2" on the objectives size but thats hardly enough to see a difference in with light gathering ability.  Glass on both are very very similar.

Both got shot with about 50 times each yesturday. The SS is a proven scope, had it for a while now.  The Leupold held its own and passed every test I gave it.  I did spin the turrets a lot on it to make sure it was repeatable and performed a box test on it as well, it passed with flying colors.   I did get "lost" in the dial a couple times on the Leupold, the numbers confuse me on the dial.  Hard to explain how they numbered it but I'll try to capture with a picture later and post.

I am still testing them an initial judgment tells me that the VXR Patrol is a contender and does change my view on Leupold with this line. 

More to come

Right now it I had $600 bones to spend of my money, it goes to SS.  But this is subjective to only 2 days with the Leupold and the VXR and a long time with the proven SS 3-9

Edited by koshkin - December/19/2011 at 09:53
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2011 at 13:23
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2011 at 13:24
lumberjack149 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumberjack149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2011 at 06:46
Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Looking forward to how these two shake out as time goes on. How much elevation does the Leupold have? I had the SS 3-9 mildot and i liked the scope, when i sold the rifle i also sold the scope. This new reticle has me tempted to get another one. My only complaint is the tunneling on the SS between 3 and 4 power (almost wish they would just make it a 4-9).
How about the turrets between the two and how they feel? On an AR i think i might like the lower profile of the Leupold turrets, but on my SS i had i did like the dual numbers when you got to cranking the knobs (guess you cant have your cake and eat it too).
Any feed back on the illumination in low light? This is not really a deal breaker for me b/c i do very little low light shooting.
Any feed back on the reticle (i realize everybody has their own flavor)? TMR vs. mildot vs. milquad?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2011 at 07:15
Originally posted by lumberjack149 lumberjack149 wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Looking forward to how these two shake out as time goes on. How much elevation does the Leupold have? I had the SS 3-9 mildot and i liked the scope, when i sold the rifle i also sold the scope. This new reticle has me tempted to get another one. My only complaint is the tunneling on the SS between 3 and 4 power (almost wish they would just make it a 4-9).
How about the turrets between the two and how they feel? On an AR i think i might like the lower profile of the Leupold turrets, but on my SS i had i did like the dual numbers when you got to cranking the knobs (guess you cant have your cake and eat it too).
Any feed back on the illumination in low light? This is not really a deal breaker for me b/c i do very little low light shooting.
Any feed back on the reticle (i realize everybody has their own flavor)? TMR vs. mildot vs. milquad?
Tunneling - thats the nature of the beast on a FFP with low power.  no way around it.
Turrets - both have crisp turrets but the SS is better labeled IMO, may be that I'm used to it and not the leupold but like I said, I got kinda lost once or twice with it.
illumination - I'm not sure I've gotten it completly understood yet.  Sometimes I can't "find" the illumination and have to reset it by removing the battery,  what i mean is you press once to toggle from high to low and back so each time you press you go to a different setting.  so when i press the button and can't see the dot I'm assuming its on the lower setting and if I keep pressing it it should brighten up, it sometimes doesnt. The part that really confuses me about this is it remembers your last setting, well I have not used it on lower settings yet so it shouldn't be were i can't see it. I'm still learnin' it I guess.  I'll low light test the illumination later
Reticle- I'm a plain jane kinda fella,  I know mildot, I like mildot.  The TMR is ok but somewhat busy for me.  I won't range with it much so I guess it being SFP isn't to bad.  Its not cluttered with holdovers for elevation and windage but still again a tad to busy for my personal preference. 

On a side note.  I did take both outside last night, it was a dark night.  Both again seamed pretty near equal with what I could make out and distinguish.  I did not use the illumination at all so no comment at all on that.  I think I may take the leupold hunting tonight.  More to come.   I will update this thread as often as I can when i get more time with the Leupold.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2011 at 05:57
Thanks for the review Graham. Excellent

I've been looking for 1-4's to put on the incoming 6.8 and while this is a review of the 3-9 it's yet another "win" for the VX-R. I'm glad to hear they're finally catching up with this new line of optics.

At $579 on SWFA (vs $799 for the SS) it has the edge in cost but doesn't compromise anything in optical quality from reviews here and around the web.

Still want that SS 5-20. Big Grin

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2011 at 17:32
Good work, Graham. Thanks. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2011 at 18:02
That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out argument...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2011 at 07:45
Super Write up and pictures.. 
I'm still in love with your riffle Love

Thanks Graham.
Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2011 at 08:47
had my first hiccup with the Leupold this weekend.  Took it out for a few practice shots and my zero was way off.  I had zero'ed this gun at 100yds and it had always been on.  Didn't matter how much I twisted the dials they always had returned to zero.  Well this time at 100yds I was almost 5" left and 2" low.  Knobs set on "0" for each.  Adjusted and got it back to zero but not sure whats going on.  I checked my mount (talley) and they are torqued correctly so its not loose mounts or rings......  I'm going to recheck zero again today if I have time but it may be the weekend before I can again.  more to come.
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2011 at 09:25
Sounds strange. Good luck (trouble) shooting.
Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2011 at 09:47

I'm not sure what would cause it or how it would happen..... I'm at a lost but I'll be giving it a detailed checking soon.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2011 at 15:44
I fired 2 rounds at lunch today. Both dead on.  looked like the number "8" on the target.  I left the target up and will fire more each day this week I can.  Hopefully this will giive me some feedback were I can make an assesment.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 08:52

5 shot string was fired last night with the aid of headlights from the car.  All 5 found the same holes the first two on target made the day before.  Looking like something else may be a factor here and not the scope.

Edit to add -

Well i've put 20+ shots in the same hole since the initial loss of zero.  I am thinking it was a human error.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - December/23/2011 at 09:56
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 09:36
Good to hear G. The 1.25-4 is in the running for my 6.8

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2011 at 09:33
Found the reason for my change in Zero - broke ring.  When to change scopes to put the scope up for sale.  discovered this.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2011 at 09:50
Get some good rings and that won't happen...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2011 at 09:52

they were talley

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2011 at 10:00
Did you use a torque wrench or crank it down?
Doug
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2011 at 11:00

They were torqued with a wheeler fat wrench to exactly what talley recommended

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic