OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

XOTIC scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XOTIC scope
    Posted: February/02/2006 at 11:43
 I need user  input regarding the XOTIC  4-16 x 56 scope,I have to scope a 10FP le2a re barreled to 300wsm.I've had great results out to 500m (550yd) with amy SS10 x 42 on a FN PBR .308--but I'm trying to decide wheather it will be the XOTIC or the MK4 PR 4.5-14 x 40
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2006 at 12:25
Wait for the new XOTIC's come out.  4-16x50mm rather than that huge 56mm objective.  I believe the original XOTIC's are out of stock anyway.  The newer XOTIC's were changed even though they lost the USMC SSDS contract.  They made the changes suggested to them and are going to bring them to the consumer.  I say that gives the XOTIC company a big .
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
pilot107 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2006 at 13:01
 I take it then that once revamped it will have become a scope to consider in the price and quality range of  the MK4
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2006 at 13:44

I would believe so.

Edited by Mithran
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2006 at 17:27

Originally posted by pilot107 pilot107 wrote:

I take it then that once revamped it will have become a scope to consider in the price and quality range of  the MK4

WITH a FFP mil dot reticle that doesn't change POI when you change power  settings.

The Leupold, though good, only offers a RFP reticle.

The XOTIC is an outstanding buy.

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
pilot107 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2006 at 17:56
I do believe I'll postpone buying for now and use my SS from my FN (thank god for Warne quick release rings) until the revised XOTIC is available----but I do like the lupy for tracking spot on from power to power----
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2006 at 10:41

OK the PR 4.5-14 costs cost 700 to 800. I have a PR 3-9 and I love the target knobs on it but I am not impressed by the glass at 100 yds I could see my .50 cal sabbot musket holes with my $30 3-9 tasco better than I could with the 3-9 PR. I have a VX-III on my sons .50 cal and the glass is great. My Mark 4  8.5-25 and my 10x M3 are both sharp but on the PR series they put the money into the target knobs not the glass. The glass is not really bad but it is just not the quality I have become accustomed to from the other Leupolds I have. So hock your watch or do whatever it takes and go all the way to the LR/T  with M1 knobs you can add a Mil dot later if you need it, I use a laser rangefinder anyway.

LEU54660 Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope Leupold 4.5-14x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • M1 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
SWFA: $969.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2006 at 10:53

Have you considered looking at IOR scopes?  Their glass is extremely bright & clear (made in Germany by Schott Glassworks) and you can get a new Tactical Model 4x14 50mm with a 30mm tube for $759.95.  This scope also comes with the MP8 reticle, which many tactical shooters believe is the best reticle on the planet.

Not trying to offend but Leupold's Mark 4 glass isn't in the same class as that used in this scope. 

Edited by ceylonc
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2006 at 11:14

I'd second the IOR selection, although from everything I've hear XOTIC seems like an excellent scope.

As a side note, there are two major bulk optical glass manufacturers/suppliers in the world: Schott and Ohara.  Both catalogue thousands of different formulations that are very slightly different from each other.  They can also make a custom formulation for you if you buy enough of it.  The purity and quality of glass depends on how much you are willing to pay, but prices between the two are comparable.

Where you buy your glass really does not make any difference whatsoever (as long as it is a reputable manufacturere of course).  You request a particular formulation and they send it to you.  They will also do batch testing if needed for absorption, wavefront transmission (if the glass is somewhat polished), thermal properties etc.  I once had to create a piece of software that had to go through compelte Schott and Ohara catalogues and find the combination of glasses that would work for the athermal interferometer we were developing at the time.  The number of combinations is huge, but it is really not a difficult thing to do as long as the properties of different glass are known.

What I am really trying to say here is that what is important is what you do with that glass afterwards: shaping, polishing, coating, etc. 

Manufacturers advertise that they use Schott glass because it sounds cool, not because it makes any difference.

ILya

pilot107 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2006 at 11:21
I've been considering both the Leupold and IOR scopes.I had a chnce to shoot my buddy's HS 2000 short tactical rifle with  IOR glass ---very nice indeed,but the retical was a little complex at first usage for me  lololo I like my mil-dot, nice and simple.The Leupold on the other hand is more to my inclination although the price is a bit intimidating , I'm leaning more toward the #56130   4.5 x 14 x 40 , the target turrets are a bit of a trade off from the tactical turrets but I think they'll work out ok.I'm not in a huge rush right now --I think I wait until the XOTIX 4 x 16 x 50 is available before I lay the cash down
Sniper6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sniper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2006 at 22:56

I like my XOTIC it is a very nice scope and I have no problems with it on a 338rum.

The glass in my opinion is great, the tracking and zero have had no problems.

I think your decision will be worth the wait.  

What a great hobby!
pilot107 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2006 at 23:58

I'm looking forward to see what the changes might be--I hope the price stays where it's at that would be a bonus

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2006 at 19:37

Hello Everyone is there any new updates in relations to the Exotic scope.

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2006 at 10:23
No news yet but they say no news is good news.....right?
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2006 at 11:52
Thank you Chris.
pilot107 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2006 at 12:31

Hello SVD666--- I ended up selling off the Savage and bought 700 LTR and with no Exotic in sight I scoped the rifle with a Nikon 2.5 x 10 x 44 MD tactical piece as a temporary instalation-- at this point for me to buy the Exotic product it will have to be a super stellar scope because the Nikon has superb lens quality and extremely accurate repeatability in it's adjustments,I'd buy another on a bet.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2006 at 13:54

Hello pilot107

I am very curious to see the features that the new Xotic scope is going to have.

The older model is well praised by respected members of the OT. Thanks for

the reply.

maxposner View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxposner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2006 at 20:31
Has there been any updates on the XOTIC's, I was able to visit my last one on my Godsons rifle.   I really do need another one.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2006 at 10:46
I have not heard anything and still have no new news to report.
buck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2006 at 16:16
Where is the XOTIC scopes made?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic