OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Recommendation for a scope for a 17hmr

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommendation for a scope for a 17hmr
    Posted: October/20/2011 at 19:59
I have a buddy who is going to buy a 17Hmr and is looking for a good scope to put on it. He is looking at the Vortex Viper, Zeiss Conquest and other scopes in that price point. What would be a good choice for that gun? Thanks for your input in advance.
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2011 at 07:00
If I were going to scope my 17HMR again I'd get the pride fowler 17 series
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2011 at 07:04
Sightron Big Sky 3-9 X 36 A.O.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2011 at 07:11
Then again if he will be using it mainly to plink with a 6X SuperSniper would be a good match.
lightwind View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2011 at 23:17
Is your buddy going to plink or punch paper?   The reason I ask is that I started with a 6x on my Savage .17 and then found it is good for 1 moa at 100 yards and put a 4.5-14X50 on it and I love practicing trigger pull with a less expensive round than my .308s.   I like the extra magnification for the precision target shooting.  So, if your buddy is going to plink he won't need much magnification but if he wants to precision shoot I recommend more magnification.
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2011 at 16:06
I think he does want a little more magnification than 6x. He wants to punch paper but he also wants to use it as a varmint gun.
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
lightwind View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2011 at 19:25
There are a number of Zeiss Conquests on the sample list:

http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C4.aspx#Zeiss

They have an assortment of Conquests in the 4.5-14 powers with a variety of reticles.

There is also a Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 that just went up on the list.

http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C4.aspx#Vortex

You mentioned his price point was in that range but I was not sure if it was in the Viper PST range or the Viper range.  For the higher magnification the price does go up for both the Conquest and the PST.

I just picked up a Minox 4-20 off the sample list and I like it a lot but those are gone for now but they have a 3-15 ZA5 that just went on the list:

http://www.samplelist.com/Riflescopes-C4.aspx#Minox

I like my Minox but it has a fairly touchy eyebox. 

I like all of the above brands due to their excellent glass.  For the money, the Minox is hard to beat, but it might be better for punching paper than trying to get the eyebox right on a varmint that is moving around. 

The other issue will be the varmint range your buddy is going for.   I find the .17 is only reliable out to about 150 yards and then starts getting blown around by gusts.   If he is shooting larger varmints he might be fine out to 200 but 150 is about it for the smaller ones (or at least for me).

Let us know a bit more about the price range and expectations and maybe we can help you zero in a little more.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic