OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Holy Crap! This is from my HOA.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holy Crap! This is from my HOA.
    Posted: October/20/2011 at 11:02

At 2:30am two of my neighbor's dogs on Katy Kourt W were attacked by a full-grown moutain lion.  Both dogs are in the hospital, one is critical. THEY GOT A GOOD LOOK AT THE ANIMAL when it jumped their 6-foot fence in one leap as they approached it to save their dogs. They have three dogs, one is a full-grown Labrador, but that did not deter the lion from attacking.  There are paw prints in my back yard where it came over our fence, our dog was in the house at the time or it could have been next. 

I believe this must be the same predator who attacked and killed another pet here last week and not Coyotes as we previously suspected. Keep your pets indoors at night if possible until we can figure out how animal control can help us.  I have noticed many lost dog and cat signs in the previous weeks and now we may have have identified the attacker. 

BLOCK CAPTAINS- Please let your neighbors know! 

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2011 at 11:04
Time for some thermal scopes at the Farris home
Full auto suppressed with thermal

Edited by SVT_Tactical - October/20/2011 at 11:08
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2011 at 11:08
OT/SWFA hunting trip at Chris's houseYippee
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2011 at 11:09
Its still dark when our six year old gets on the bus and our three year old insists on coming out with us every morning to put his brother on the bus.

I wonder if I'll be the only father with an MP5 standing at the end of their driveway??
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2011 at 11:12
Nah, a friend of mine used to carry a M-3 Grease gun to the donut shop for coffee.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2011 at 11:12
We have many starting to show up here........... Well, technically not any mountain lions,  just prairie lions. There are no mountains here.  It's amazing, all the stray dogs, and cats disappear, and most other wildlife in the area gets pretty scarce. Police shot one under someones camper right here in city limits. Actually they shot the camper like 12 times, at POINT BLANK RANGE! Before finally connecting with the cat on the 13 th shot.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2011 at 11:20
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

Its still dark when our six year old gets on the bus and our three year old insists on coming out with us every morning to put his brother on the bus.

I wonder if I'll be the only father with an MP5 standing at the end of their driveway??
Think you better go bigger than the MP5.  might just piss off an angry cat!
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2011 at 11:26
Might want to get some of that new Hornady Zombie max ammo too....... just in case.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2011 at 12:40
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

Don't forget your nightvision goggles!
Hatari View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2011 at 13:24
Thermal scopes...night vision?  Its a cat for cryin out loud!

Just get yourself a stuffed mouse on a string, dangle it over the fence, and be prepared to jump on it with your boyscout knife! Big Grin
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2011 at 21:23
Pretty sure one of my friends lost one of her greyhounds to a lion earlier this month. The dog had a single wound, about 4 1/2" wide, and 6" long, running down its neck/shoulder. Seemed more like it swiped it with a paw...I could not find any tracks, but we had a hell of storm the same night.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2011 at 20:50
Remember....Bob Milek killed a mountain lion with a 22 magnum.  But, I guess, if they are agitated, a 222 remington might be the ticket. 
Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2011 at 10:46

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2011 at 11:56
Jeez Dan, do you really think it's big enough?  No doubt would be effective but collateral damage might be an issue.
God save the Empire!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2011 at 12:10
Thats why they make handguns in 44 Magnum.
or -
I could send Preston with his bow - he has some experience shooting mountain lions with his bow.

Actually with a mountain lion when you stand upright they usually ignore you but if you get down on all fours its like someone turned on the light switch now you are dinner.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2011 at 12:25
I was kinda thinking 3", 00 buck for a fast moving cat up close in the dark. 
God save the Empire!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2011 at 12:59
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Jeez Dan, do you really think it's big enough?  No doubt would be effective but collateral damage might be an issue.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2011 at 19:31
Bear gun would be fine. I have been out of Alaska for many years now, but I still have a special fondness for my bear guns.

So yeah, I'd probably make it a point to have a late night pint and a cigar with my mossberg in my lap on the back porch. And the neighbors cat in a wire cage...

Elmer Keith had a story about a guy who unloaded his luger on a cat that attacked the lead mule, with little effect. One of Keith's many stories about why he preferred larger calibers.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2011 at 05:39
Good old Elmer!  44mag was just right for jack rabbits.
God save the Empire!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic