OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Best ak47 choice,around 100bucks? First post here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best ak47 choice,around 100bucks? First post here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomsick42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best ak47 choice,around 100bucks? First post here
    Posted: October/20/2011 at 00:11
  Hello opticstalk, here is my first post.  I am an active member on the saiga 12 forum.  I have a converted saiga 7.62x39, that I did myself.  I love my ak, but my irons have their limitations.  I am currently making 2in groups at 100yds(which isnt bad for an ak), but Im limited to my own eyes and the irons.   I really think I can get better, and get farther.  So for this, I need some optical assistance. 

My personal hang up is money.  Ive been looking at reviews all over the place on various brands and models.  The ones that I definately can afford seem to be chinese junk.  Ncstar, bsa, barska, tasco, truglo, and the like for under 100.   I know that you get what you pay for, but Ive seen some promising leads and Id love to get some feedback from the optics community.

Im thinking either a refurbished nikon pro staff, or a konuspro 3-9 or 4x32.  Im sure the nikon would be just fine, but Ive heard mixed reviews on the konus.  Doesnt konus have a lifetime warranty, for what thats worth.    

Im looking to find something rugged, that I can keep attatched to a side mount and be able to go on and off my rifle without losing zero, and take a couple bumps along the way.  I wouldnt mind a fixed 4x power, but a 3-9 would be just fine too. 

I joined this forum for one reason, to make sure I get the best for my money.  Thats the most important thing to me.    Im open to suggestions on scope brands and makes, I can probably spend like 120 on it, but thats about it.  I wish I was a richer man, money is my only limitation.

powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2011 at 05:45
Welcome to the forum. Most of us have in the past been right where you are and frankly it is where many of the hotter discussions arise from on optics forums. Myself I have used several lower priced scopes in my past and have really always had pretty good service from them. Others will swear that you can't get one out of the box w/o it tearing up.
However to get around to answering your question of the two you mentioned I have a 3x9 prostaff and find it to be a pretty decent little scope for the $99 I paid for it on closeout. The kronus I don't know about. Some other lower priced scopes that I will suggest are the redfields that appear on the sample list from time to time, Swfa had a couple of the pentax pioneers on their auction site for sometime . These are the ones from the Philippines and mine has been a excellent scope for the $$. You might call SWFA and see if they have any of these left over and if so they might cut you a deal. Just be sure it is one from the Phillippines and not one of the pioneer II's. Also if you watch from time to time you can find a demo weaver K 4 pop up on sale and that would be a good buy for you. Finally the sightron 3x9 sI is suppose to be a decent low priced scope. I haven't used one but they do look good and have a good reputation and lifetime warranty. Today these would probably be my choices on a budget.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2011 at 06:31

I've got an SI 3-9x40.  It's above your budget but not by much.  GOOD scopes.

If your absolutely fixed at $120 then you may want to get contact of SWFA about this one on the Sample List:

SPL14965 Redfield 2-7x33 Revolution Rifle Scope DEMO-B Click to view
67085, Matte, Accu-Range
$109.95

Contact Us

Business Hours: Monday thru Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.

Mailing & Shipping Address:
420 Century Way, #100
Red Oak, TX, 75154
Phone Number: (972) SCOPE-IT (726-7348)
Fax Number: (972) 617-1647
Email: swfa@riflescopes.com

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2011 at 07:30
    SampleList.com
Samplelist is your Friend. 

The Redfield 300 S&W mentioned would be a great little scope for your gun.
boomsick42 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomsick42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2011 at 07:51
Thanks guys.   As I am just starting my research on getting the right optic, it will be a minute until I make my decision. 

That sample list has some really nice deals, this is the first time Ive ever heard of it, or swfa for that matter.  very cool.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomsick42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2011 at 22:19
That redfield is what Im looking for in a scope.  Low power and good quality.

Im wondering though, being new to optics in general, what kind of knock would that scope be capable of taking without losing zero?  I know there are different things that make a scope good, and one of those things is impact resistance.  Since I will have it mounted on an ak side mount there will be alot of putting on and taking off. 

It would not be a fixture on my weapon, but something that would get slapped on if needed for a shot over 100yds, .  Being that the open sights arent the most precise, my scope would need to fill the gap from 100-200yds, but be capable of low power for close in transition shots when attatched.

I just want to make sure my optic will stand up to hard use, because my saiga is just about indestructable. 

PONIESWHEE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PONIESWHEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2011 at 18:20
If you're not going to handle this AK gently don't cheap out on the side mount. Some of the cheap ones exhibit a fair amount of flex which will throw off your zero. The BP-02 mounts from Belarus are probably the most solid option.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomsick42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2011 at 23:41
Im actually very easy on my weapons.  I just want something that will hold up under some rough handling.  You never know when you are going to bump something or it somehow roll off a table. 

I ordered a UTG quick release side mount yesterday.  I know its probably made in china, or some other foreign country, but its solid aluminum which is a plus.  Just about every review everywhere is positive on it.  Except for those who have WASRs, which are made to crappy specs from century anyhow. 

A few guys, whom I greatly trust, tell me these are a hell of a deal for what you get.  And they slide them on and off all the time, without losing zero, which is where the optics quality comes into play.    I agree, the belarus mounts are the best for under 100.  Since this is a first time thing, I went with the utg because it fit all of my needs, for half the price.  Well see how it works out.  And if it doesnt, Ill drop the 70bucks on the BP-02. 

Ill be trying it out with a cheap sks scope I got for free from a friend, then Ill get my quality scope when I have the money.  Im rather new to optics, so It will be fun.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic