OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA 3-9 x 42 and switching platforms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTShamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA 3-9 x 42 and switching platforms
    Posted: October/18/2011 at 15:50
Pardon this newb question.

If I want to switch a ss 3-9 x42  on the one piece quick detach SWFA mount between two different flattop AR 15 platforms (different calibers --one in 6.5 Grendel and one in .223) how tough is it to "record" their respective zero positions when I return it to each platform? 

Do I have to fire a bunch of rounds and re zero it  each time or is there a way to record the "zero" position on say the 6.5 Grendel AR , switch the scope and use it on the  .223 AR, and when I return it to the 6.5 Grendel just reset the turrets in a way that is close to that original zero? 

I say this b/c I may pick up a .223 upper A3 for my Grendel AR15  and let my son shoot and varmint hunt it in .223.  Can save having to buy yet another optic and mount by having the ss 3-9 do double duty.

Appreciate any thoughts on the topic.    
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2011 at 15:56
as long as you keep a record of where your zero is for each its should not be hard at all.  Whatever it will be primarly on is what I would use as the Zero for the scope (set turrets to zero).  then when you put on the other gun and zero record what number it zeros on.  (say you went to "3" on elevation and "2" on windage.   
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2011 at 15:57
If you get a real good mount it should be pretty close to your zero again.  Then you can just record how many mils up from the bottom and left or right and rezero when you put it on. Probably want to shoot a round or two just to verify.

I have been using Bobro mounts and I take my scopes off and they are always right back at a good zero when I shoot them again. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2011 at 15:59
you could also go a step farther and do a turret reset to.  using the same example above after you dial in your "3 mils" up and "2mils" in windage, you could reset the turrents to zero with the allen wrench so that now your lined up with the zero of the turret.  when you get ready to go back, dial in the opposite, reset the turrets to zero with the allen wrench and your back to the first guns zero with the turrets matching.   Just be careful when you do change the turret each time that you don't move it any while changing it.
CTShamrock View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTShamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2011 at 16:20
So this is feasible. Excellent!! Thanks for the fast replies.

I take it one must turn both turrets on hte ss 3-9 all the way to bottoming out at their respective extremes and then  re-zero at a specific range so as to get an accurate count of the exact measurements / settings for both windage and elevation on each caliber platform? 

At least that is how I understood your suggestions.  Then no matter how I reset the turrets with the allen screw I "know" that at range of xxx yards (my chosen zero range) and at a given top rail positon for the mount, the .223 requires  so much in elevation and so much in windage adjustment from bottom to "rezero" at that range with a given manufacturer's or hand loaded round. And same for the 6.5 Grandel-- it requires so much elevation and so much windsage from its extreme position to rezero based on a proven range zero with specific ammo. 

Seems like it just requires a good mount and some careful record keeping in a shooting logbook and consistent ammo selection.

Now my question is "Is this someting that people really DO ?" with quick detach rail mounts?  

Or do 99% of us just plunk down more $$ and buy dedicated scopes and mounts!

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2011 at 16:22
Seems you understand it right.

If your barrels and receivers are both straight, you are probably just going to have to mess with elevation.  But a click or two of windage may be needed.  I can move scopes from one AR to the other and it is usually just elevation I have to mess with.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2011 at 16:29
you wouldn't have to bottom out every time.

Step by step instructions-
Zero your grendel - reset your turrets to zero after doing this.  Now your grendel and scope are zero'ed and your scope adjustment shows zero too.  It will be corrilated with the number of hashes on teh elevation and windage, you can see these hashes as you turn the scope turrets.

(those horizontal hashes shown here)

So lets say your zero is 3 hashes up. 

Now move to your 223.  and dial in zero.  say you had to go up a full hash mark (1.5 turn). you know that your 223 is eactly 1.5 turn up from your grendel zero so now you reset the turrets again to shot your 223. 

Now to go back to your grendel zero, from your 223 zero you dial down 1.5 turns and reset your turrets to zero for yoru grendel. 

this way you can keep up with both.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic