OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Patrol 3-9x40 review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold Patrol 3-9x40 review
    Posted: October/14/2011 at 08:31

As I mentioned in my review on the Leupold VXR Patrol 1.25-4, I am VERY impressed with Leupolds new VXR line of scopes.

Glass quality in low light is comparable to the Trijicon Accupoint and is extremely clear, sharp, high resolution and bright.

The illumination system works very well, there is just a small dot that lights up at the center crosshair, while I didn't measure it I would estimate it;s about .5" at 100 yards

Small enough to allow me to shoot 1/2" groups with my test rifle, a Nosler Trophy Grade in 280AI.

It can be set extremely dim so that it does not hinder your ability to use it in low light like so many other lit reticles I have tried.  And to me, it's bright enough to be easily seen in bright Texas sun.

Specs:

Weight: 15.3 OZ

Length: 12.6"

Eye Relief: 3.7-4.2

TMR reticle with Mil and .5 mil has marks

.1 Mil turret adjustment

6 Mils per rev, 3 rev, 18 total

Why this scope?

The scope is compact and light, has very good glass,  matching mil reticle and turrets, good illumination system.

I mounted it on a Nosler Trophy Grade in 280AI in Talley lightweight med rings (could have gone with lows but my head position is fine)

Intended use is as a hunting rifle out to 500 yards.

I did my initial sight in at 100 yards with a 300 yard zero running the Nosler Accubond 140g load which put me right at 3" high at 100 yards or, right at 1 mil high.

I tested the turrets and they tracked true.

I went out yesterday evening to verify at 250 and 500 yards for hunting, to see if my calculations for trajectory were correct and make any minor tweaks if needed.

My initial sight in was dead on and my first hit at 250 was exactly where my calcs said it should be, .5 mil high.

I shot some more at 250 and then moved out to 500, I dialed in 1.4mils of correction and first shot was dead on and I shot 5 more, group size was right at 2:"

I let a buddy of mine try it and he had never shot past 100 yards, and didn't think he would be able to do it, easy I said...  "just put the crosshair dead center and squeeze"

"boom" and the Larue steel target went down, as it came up I could see his bullet impact right with mine.

He was giddy like a little school girl!

I moved out to 750 and connected with 19" plates 5 times in a row.

Very happy to see this new rifle shot so well and the calculations were spot on the money.  I feel confident to go out and hunt, and will be doing so this evening!

I took reticle pics at 250, 500, 750 and 1K

250 yards

500 yards

750 yards

1000 yards(19" plate)
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2011 at 08:39
Excellent
Nice review, glad to see that Leupold is putting out some better products.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2011 at 09:44
Trying to play catch up, but seemingly doing a decent job. Gotta love the price point as well for people that can't spend 4 figures on optics.

Nice review CC!
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
scarface_usmc View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarface_usmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2011 at 10:24
Hey CCoker, What kinda rings are those?
"keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2011 at 10:40
How do you guys get those through the scope pictures that are so pure and crisp????
No one
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2011 at 12:05
Excellent

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2011 at 20:24
rings are Talley lightweight aluminum

reticle pics are taken with just a little Canon digital elph 5MP
I put it on macro setting and auto everything

I have the gun on sandbags and then line up the crosshairs

I just look through the view finder and try to find the spot that has a good centered and edge to edge clear image and fire off a few and pick the best

I don't touch the rifle so it stays on target

I used this gun hunting over the weekend
didn't shot anything but did watch some nice bucks at 2-300 yards, scope was nice and clear

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2011 at 21:36
I just might have to take another look at Leupold scopes again. 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2011 at 07:30
Well I thought about it over the weekend I might go ahead and try one of these.  Review of my own incoming shortly.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2011 at 13:51
I think we all wouldn't mind putting our faith back in an American Made Product.

Can't wait till more reviews on this.

I even like the sound of me going back to Leupold...kinda...sorta...well maybe doesn't sound just right just yet...We'll see...
No one
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2011 at 14:01
I just got off the phone ordering one so I'm gonna give it a whirl so to speak.  The last Leupold I had was on a deer rifle  i used when I was 8 yrs old.
boltgun71 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boltgun71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2011 at 08:18
I have been using this scope now for about 2 months and am in love with it.  I will be using it next week in an advanced sniper course and will write a review on it after the course for everyone here.  So far in my train-up for the course I have been very impressed with it, its repeatability is incredible.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2011 at 08:46
Nice pic's,great shooting & thanks for the Leupy info.Looking forward to your final review Excellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2011 at 09:59
Originally posted by boltgun71 boltgun71 wrote:

I have been using this scope now for about 2 months and am in love with it.  I will be using it next week in an advanced sniper course and will write a review on it after the course for everyone here.  So far in my train-up for the course I have been very impressed with it, its repeatability is incredible.
Anxious to read your review and how the the Leupy performed. 
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic