OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Where does the Sightron II Big Sky stack up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where does the Sightron II Big Sky stack up?
    Posted: October/13/2011 at 17:55
I know there was a scope rating scale I don't know if this scope was on that ratings scale.

I am wondering how this stacks up.

They have a $75 Rebate I am looking to replace an older Redfield 6-18,(that I am selling for you Redfield Fanatics make offer) that is on a Steyr .300WM.  I bought the rifle to someday do some big boy hunting in Canada or out West but have yet to get the time So I am just plinking with it, fairly accurately.

No one
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2011 at 21:00
Here is the link.

http://www.opticstalk.com/topic16515&KW=scope+rating_post194417.html#194417
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2011 at 21:08

Thank you.

Was there a 2010 Scope Rating or a start of a 2011 Scope Rating.

I have no clue about 2009 but I would put the 2011 SIII way higher based upon everything except I would penalize them on being new.
No one
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2011 at 21:40
I heard talk about a new scale but it has not materialized yet to my knowledge.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2011 at 23:58
I have a big sky.  To me it is right there with Vortex Viper, Bushnell 4200, and my Burris Euro.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2011 at 00:19
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2011 at 07:27
The Sightron BS scopes are very nice. IMO, it compares very favorably to a Leupy VX3. The glass is good, adjustments good, hydrophobic coating good, CS good...what's not to like?

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2011 at 00:18
  I have a Big Sky in 4-16X. Very nice, and blows my pretty-much p.o.s. Nikon Monarch 5-20X away in the glass dept.; in fact the SII BS is the "brightest" scope I own. 
  Am currently considering the 6-20X side-focus model. Does anybody know if the SF Big Skys are also made in Japan, or do they come from the Philippines?
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2011 at 11:25
I think only the S1 and S2 are made in the Philippines as of 2010. Koshkin posted as such in one of his blogs. The SII Big Sky and SIII are made in Japan. You have to appreciate a company that still refuses to make even their lowest priced line in China.

I would love to have one of the 3-9x36AO SII Big Sky models on my Anschutz. That's about as good as it gets for trim sporter sized rimfire scopes with AO. But at 2.5x the cost of the rather decent Weaver RV9, you pay a pretty penny for that beautiful glass. 

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2011 at 12:39
Originally posted by Poodleshooter1 Poodleshooter1 wrote:

I think only the S1 and S2 are made in the Philippines as of 2010. Koshkin posted as such in one of his blogs. The SII Big Sky and SIII are made in Japan. You have to appreciate a company that still refuses to make even their lowest priced line in China.

I would love to have one of the 3-9x36AO SII Big Sky models on my Anschutz. That's about as good as it gets for trim sporter sized rimfire scopes with AO. But at 2.5x the cost of the rather decent Weaver RV9, you pay a pretty penny for that beautiful glass. 

I put one of the 3-9 X 36 A.O. Sightron BS on my T-Bolt. Although a great scope, it just seemed too large on the svelte little Browning. It now sits on my wife's Ruger Compact in .308. She loves it.

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic