OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Handy Little Gadget

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Handy Little Gadget
    Posted: October/12/2011 at 21:38

I got to check out one of these and the glass is very nice. It is the ideal size to take along hunting not too big or bulky but with plenty of power to glass the area. This little jewel will serve you well for a light compact spotter.

Minox 16-30x50 Spotting Scope Minox 16-30x50 Spotting Scope
Stock # - 62226
  • Straight Body
  • Free Ever-Ready Nylon Case w/ Purchase
$298.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - October/12/2011 at 21:39

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
motts View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2011 at 05:46
I actually just bought one of these last week. They are very cool indeed. I hope to take it out this weekend. I want a bigger, nice spotting scope, but can't afford one right now and don't want to settle for something of lower quality. In the meantime, I purchased the Minox MD 50 figuring I will still be able to use it after I purchase the larger spotter, as it's not always convenient to carry the larger one.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2011 at 12:42
I wouldn't mind one myself, christmas is just around the corner and I believe it will fit in a stocking. Christmas List
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
grizbacker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grizbacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2011 at 13:58
Wonder how it compares to the ed 50 at about half the price?
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2011 at 14:57
http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=89:compact-spotters&catid=6:spotting-scope-reviews&Itemid=6 This review by ILya Koshkin has a good comparison to the ed 50. I took his recommended bang for buck and purchased the minox . Got it to take to rifle range and so far has worked great.Small enough to leave on tripod and put in range bag.
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2011 at 17:17
That is a dandy little spotter. I'd consider one.
Reaction time is a factor...
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2011 at 09:10
Originally posted by grizbacker grizbacker wrote:

Wonder how it compares to the ed 50 at about half the price?

I can answer that because for about a year a had both and used both. The Minox is gone now. I can say that, visibly and clearly, the ED 50 by Nikon has better sharpness, brightness, color contrast, etc. On the other hand, not twice as good. I would say that the Minox is a very good scope and a very good buy indeed.

motts View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2011 at 11:06
Koshkin did a very good review of these two scopes along with the Leupold Golden Ring. Definitely, the Nikon ED 50 will have better optics. But the Minox is very good for what it is and a great buy if you can't afford the Nikon.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2011 at 22:05
I have the Leupold Golden Ring 15-30x50.  I absolutely love it. 

I would like to pick up one of these little Minox scopes, the angled version, to try out.  As lucytuma said; Christmas is just around the corner....

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Casey in Alaska View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casey in Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2011 at 15:02
Sounds like the Nikon 13-30 x 50 is the better glass for better performance.  I would be using this on an antler restricted hunt therefor I am more concerned with optics quality rather than just bang for the buck.  I had to let a moose walk this year because I couldn't tell if he had the required brow tines with my 8x binoculars.  

Guess I will be looking to buy the Nikon ...
Casey in Alaska
atomiclab View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomiclab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2011 at 17:11
The Minox I think would be an awesome compact spotter.  I didn't even know these things existed Cool
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic